Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Great save by woll tonight. They just showed it on TSN

Really excited to see how he and Scott do next year however I'm worried the Marlies won't be able score next year

I also think Toronto should sign one big Dman despite the points. Figure out who is the best skater and see what he can do on the Marlies

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Really excited to see how he and Scott do next year however I'm worried the Marlies won't be able score next year

I also think Toronto should sign one big Dman despite the points. Figure out who is the best skater and see what he can do on the Marlies
They will spend money and sign offensive forwards if needed, Marlies will always be a good team

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I really don't see Liljegren playing in the top4 in his first year

Bob McKenzie said Toronto is talking to Carolina about Pesce. That could be fun!

2018-19
Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Pesce
Dermott - Hainsey

2019-20
Muzzin-Reilly
Dermott - Pesce
Rosen - Liljegren

2020-21
Rielly - Pesce
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin - Rosen

By acquiring Pesce you allow players to grow into bigger responsibilities without rushing them

Recently? Where is this ? I’d like yo hear it

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I really don't see Liljegren playing in the top4 in his first year

Bob McKenzie said Toronto is talking to Carolina about Pesce. That could be fun!

2018-19
Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Pesce
Dermott - Hainsey

2019-20
Muzzin-Reilly
Dermott - Pesce
Rosen - Liljegren

2020-21
Rielly - Pesce
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin - Rosen

By acquiring Pesce you allow players to grow into bigger responsibilities without rushing them

Carolina reportedly wants either AJ or Kappy. Not worth it in my opinion. Pesce is a marginal upgrade on Hainsey but it’s not worth losing a speedy young roster player.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Carolina reportedly wants either AJ or Kappy. Not worth it in my opinion. Pesce is a marginal upgrade on Hainsey but it’s not worth losing a speedy young roster player.

Pesce is a top-pairing RHD.. according to EvolvingWild's GAR, the 15th best one this season.

Plus he's on an absolute steal of a contract for 5.5 more years.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I know this is more for the trade thread but oh well..
We can't deal AJ, we won't have any real LWs and we lose Bracco now too then our depth is in trouble.
If you trade AJ, you can easily run

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Brown Kadri Nylander

As your top 9. Problem is we would have to get rid of bodies on D as well to make space for Pesce

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Wheeler: The complete Maple Leafs prospect rankings,...

2qz2cdz.png

As a whole, the Leafs’ pool of prospects is now extremely thin. Not only did they subtract two top prospects, but I’m also lower on this crop of players now than I was in November. Many, whether it be through injuries or lack of opportunity, simply haven’t progressed in meaningful ways. I would qualify just four to six of the 29 players listed here as legitimate NHL prospects, with a major drop-off after that.

After trading this year’s first-round pick for Muzzin, the Leafs also have one less high-value non-NHL asset to speak of, which will make insulating their current core that much more difficult.

The good news is that these Leafs and Marlies have a proven track record developing forgotten talents now. Players like Trevor Moore and Calle Rosen, who aren’t considered prospects, offer cheap depth moving forward. And there is real talent on the dominant inaugural Growlers ready to take their place at the AHL level. The Leafs have to continue to hit on those kinds of players.

And as they enter the contending phase of their young core’s careers, they have to draft well with what little they might have.
1. Rasmus Sandin, LHD, 18 (Toronto Marlies)

Outside of the elbow injury that he suffered at the world juniors, Sandin’s rookie season in Toronto has gone about as well as you could expect out of a late first-round pick. He stepped into the AHL as a teenager, took on a non-insignificant role immediately, thrived, produced, and followed it up by playing minutes normally reserved for 19-year-olds at the world juniors. There were other great players taken after him in Joe Veleno and Akil Thomas, among others, but Sandin looks like a hit for the Leafs and that’s always a success at 29th overall. He’s a fluid though not explosive skater, he’s composed beyond his years with the puck, he’s an excellent passer, a decent man-on-man defender, and physical for his size. While he likely lacks the offensive flair necessary to play on a top power play unit at the next level, Sandin projects fairly safely as an NHL player —and reminds a lot of Travis Dermott (the Leafs definitely have a type) in the way he plays a tight, sometimes-exposed but more-often effective gap.

2. Timothy Liljegren, RHD, 19 (Toronto Marlies)

In his draft year, it was mono. Last season, it was a recurring hip injury and another illness. This year, it’s a high-ankle sprain (which re-aggravated itself in a conditioning stint with the Newfoundland Growlers). Given all of those things, Liljegren’s tenure to date with the Marlies has been impressive. I do believe those things, at that age, have and will have a lasting impact on his development, though. We see the starkest incline in development from 18-to-20, and Liljegren has been robbed of a good chunk of that period. But the 20 games he gained in last year’s Calder Cup run certainly help to mitigate against that. There’s a lot to like about Liljegren’s game. That much is clear in the 29 points he has in 83 all-competition AHL games as a teenager. Liljegren is the best outlet passer on the Marlies and handles the puck smoothly in stride and laterally. Both of those skills translate well in today’s game. There’s some work to be done, though. His skating (forward, backward and rotationally on his pivots) remains an issue and results in him getting burned off the rush more than any other Marlies defenceman does in Nielsen’s absence. In that way, the Muzzin acquisition benefits the Leafs in more ways than one because it helps mitigate against any rush the Leafs might have to push their top right-handed D prospect into the NHL next season. Instead, they can wait until the fall of 2020 if they have to (by which point Liljegren will be 21).

3. Jeremy Bracco, RW, 21 (Toronto Marlies)

I’ve been a big believer in Bracco since well before the Leafs drafted him 61st overall in 2015 (I had him ranked 22nd in my final draft ranking at McKeen’s Hockey that year). And we’re now seeing the best of Bracco —the kind of talent that made him USA Hockey’s all-time assists leader. He has been outstanding, carrying over the point-per-game play he began during the last 15 games of last season. He’s the best passer below the Leafs level in the organization by a country mile (sorry, SDA), his heel-to-heel edge work allows him to play a perimeter game effectively, he’s dynamic on the power play and he’s responsible defensively (a trend that has persisted since he played a checking role at the world juniors). Bracco’s biggest challenge is twofold:

1. Despite his strong defensive awareness, he’s not going to be a checker on Mike Babcock’s team.

2. He needs to play with a shooter (which would make him a great fit with Auston Matthews and John Tavares), but the Leafs’ right-wing depth is going to be Mitch Marner and William Nylander for the foreseeable future.

Barring a brilliant camp next year, Bracco’s NHL career might have to be with another team (though, I think he could flank Nazem Kadri if Kasperi Kapanen were to be moved or price himself out of town). This ranking isn’t a will-he-play-for-the-Leafs list, though, and Bracco is the most talented prospect in the organization.

4. Joseph Woll, G, 20 (Boston College)

This is where the loss of Durzi and Grundstrom begins to be felt on this ranking. A few days ago, Woll slotted at No. 6. Now, everyone below him moves up two spots. Woll has been one of the best goalies in college hockey this season, and it’s no wonder why his name was put forward for the Hobey Baker. After a slow start, he’s been a rock for months. While goalies are extremely hard to gauge before they face consistent pro reps, Woll has size and athleticism working in his favour —and the athleticism doesn’t come at the expense of playing a compact, simplified, angle-heavy game. He’s also trying to expedite his schooling (he is smart on and off the ice) in order to potentially turn pro after this season, rather than after his senior year. The Marlies and/or Growlers could use the help too.

5. Mac Hollowell, RHD, 20 (Sault Ste. Greyhounds)

Any evaluation of Hollowell has to be grounded in the knowledge that he’s playing in the OHL at 20 (where he’s expected to dominate due to his September 1998 birthday). When he turns pro next season, he’ll be 21. That doesn’t mean there isn’t something there, though. Hollowell is the highest-scoring defenceman in the OHL this season, a league that boasts Ryan Merkley, Adam Boqvist and Bode Wilde. His 162 shots in 43 games doesn’t just lead all defencemen, it ranks 18th among all players. His 1.26 points per game rank inside the league’s top 25. It is the fourth-best scoring rate for an OHL defenceman in the last five years to Anthony DeAngelo’s 1.61, Darren Raddysh’s 1.31 and Evan Bouchard’s 1.30. Raddysh, the closest comparable, was actually eight months older than Hollowell and is now thriving on Rockford’s top pairing in the AHL. Hollowell will have to rein in some of the roaming he does at the pro level (he has been given a long leash to act as a fourth forward in the Soo’s schemes), and his size and strength are going to present their own problems, but he’s a confident kid who can really skate and has the talent to execute in and out of traffic as a carrier.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I never said he was a #1. He's absoutely a top-pairing guy though.
Yeah. He rates highly in everything but Game Score, which I personally don't really use. There's also Berkshire's articles that look at quite a few non-traditional stats and rates Pesce among the top names in the league defensively. He'd be a terrific add, and a huge upgrade on Hainsey.

Reactions: Morgs

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
SDA at 6 and Stotts at 23... wut?

And Kizimov should be higher too. Kid has had a really good season in Russia.

I'm guessing this list is based on potential. SDA definitely has more potential than Stotts with his skill set but only time will tell.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Top pairing guys are at least capable of some PP usage which Pesce is not. He’s a second pairing guy.

That's not exactly true. I think they should be able to do at least 1 of the PP or the PK. He's a PK guy. Say next season Rosen makes the team, should he not be given a shot on the PP just because he'll be a 3rd pairing guy?

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
SDA at 6 and Stotts at 23... wut?

And Kizimov should be higher too. Kid has had a really good season in Russia.
Surprised about Kizimov too. Is a year younger and having a better season than Pavel Shen (Bruins pick lit up Canada in the world juniors). Should be a lock for that team next year as the Russian coach only likes to take 19 year olds.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm guessing this list is based on potential. SDA definitely has more potential than Stotts with his skill set but only time will tell.

What makes you think that? Its way too early to say one has higher potential than the other IMO.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
That's not exactly true. I think they should be able to do at least 1 of the PP or the PK. He's a PK guy. Say next season Rosen makes the team, should he not be given a shot on the PP just because he'll be a 3rd pairing guy?

Every one of your top 4 must be capable of performing on special teams but your top pairing guys need to play with your the top forwards on the PP. Pesce is strictly a PK guy. Top 4 not top pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad