Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Middleton is 20 years old. He has 10pts in 33 games.
Liljigren is 19 years old. He has 25pts in 64 games.
I wonder if Lilly was gifted easy minutes like Middelton, he would have more points.
Lilly is a beast.
Right now, Middelton is getting extremely lucky in the AHL. Its only a matter of time he gets dominated by forwards. His skating is terrible.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not really. Many expected Dermott to make the team his third year at camp, that's how good he was second year. I don't see where Lil is "ahead" at all. Dermott had a very strong first year in the AHL. That isn't a slight on Lil, but guys like you had a #freelil hashtag his first camp, when he made zero impact, the hype was over the top, so perhaps there's a lesson there.

He should push for a job next camp, if he does, bravo young man. He will have competition though, Sandman is a keeper, of that I'm certain.

well, dubas and I expect Lilly to be on the team this year. I expect we'll be right.

Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Liljegren had his status damaged by getting injured before the WJC. Let's just hope he proves people wrong. No point in getting too worked up about these rankings unless the people writing them making egregious errors. I disagree with Liljegren not being top 50 by either Button or Pronman, but there is at least a rational argument he isn't.

Now, let's be honest here. NHL teams have 10 to 20 man staffs to narrow down a draft list to 80 to 120 or so draftable players, and then rank them accordingly. We shouldn't expect one person to have a very accurate view of all draft-eligible prospects and players who currently have prospect status. Even if you could get a decent read on them in the limited viewings you have, trying to sort that into a coherent list is a nightmare. Take it for what it is, fodder people eat up because they are interested in prospects and want to see where their guys stand. Similar to why for whatever reason, people eat up Buzzfeed lists. These one-man prospect "gurus" are given an impossible task due to the demand for content.

We aren't drafting Matthews, Marner's or even Nylander's anymore. If we stay good having guys ranked highly will be sporadic.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
LOL ...

I wonder how many more points Middleton would have if he was on the PP, the guy is a beast!
Lol.
You cant admit Lilly is better. Good thing the stats and the eye test show it.
Middelton is being sheltered, and ots making him look way better then he is.

Lilly isnt 4-5 years away from being a top 4 NHL d man.

Reactions: Pyromaniac

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Liljegren had his status damaged by getting injured before the WJC. Let's just hope he proves people wrong. No point in getting too worked up about these rankings unless the people writing them making egregious errors. I disagree with Liljegren not being top 50 by either Button or Pronman, but there is at least a rational argument he isn't.

Now, let's be honest here. NHL teams have 10 to 20 man staffs to narrow down a draft list to 80 to 120 or so draftable players, and then rank them accordingly. We shouldn't expect one person to have a very accurate view of all draft-eligible prospects and players who currently have prospect status. Even if you could get a decent read on them in the limited viewings you have, trying to sort that into a coherent list is a nightmare. Take it for what it is, fodder people eat up because they are interested in prospects and want to see where their guys stand. Similar to why for whatever reason, people eat up Buzzfeed lists. These one-man prospect "gurus" are given an impossible task due to the demand for content.

We aren't drafting Matthews, Marner's or even Nylander's anymore. If we stay good having guys ranked highly will be sporadic.

100% this.

Another thing is that our scouting staff is going to really step up their game. We've transitioned from rebuild to contender. We're going to need to find players and ideally the odd home run in rounds 3-7 because picks in round 1-2 might not always be available to them.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
100% this.

Another thing is that our scouting staff is going to really step up their game. We've transitioned from rebuild to contender. We're going to need to find players and ideally, the odd home run in rounds 3-7 because picks in round 1-2 might not always be available to them.

Yea, that's is why I didn't like losing Hunter

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Middelton got absolutely walked on a play, he isnt very good no matter what someone might believe.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Middelton's stats are similar to Stuart Percy at the same age.
Both cant skate, and dont have good enough hockey IQ.
Percy is an AHLer. Very similar players.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Lilly is well ahead of Dermott at the same age. So if you like Dermott, you should really, really like Lilly.

Not really. Many expected Dermott to make the team his third year at camp, that's how good he was second year.

At the same age, Dermott was still more than a month away from playing his first regular season game with the Marlies (he had played one playoff game)

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Yeah, but then like 3-4 years before we know how it went lol.

we are still developing what we have now, Dubas has to really do his homework when he makes trades and prospects are involved and keep searching Europe and the KHL for good ufa/rfa types

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
we are still developing what we have now, Dubas has to really do his homework when he makes trades and prospects are involved and keep searching Europe and the KHL for good ufa/rfa types

If Panarin had chosen us...oh boy.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dermott is a late birthday and a CHL player, so Lilly will get 2 AHL season in before Dermott was eligible to play his first AHL season and that would be Lilys 3 rd AHL season.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
He was a beauty of a Ufa/Rfa?, whatever he was out of Russia, I dunno if there any left like him
Was a UFA. There is another like him in Gusev (current property of Vegas); when he his 26 or whatever he will become a UFA and be able to come over.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Button has thought that Liljegren would top out at as a 4/5 at least since draft day, so that is no change.
Nope, he had him as a top 3 defender who projected like Dougie Hamilton and ranked him 10th overall. Sometime between the draft and his rankings last year he soured on him. Here's the write up he did for TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/timothy-liljegren-defence-1.742574

People shouldn't kid themselves, Button does favors for people (or relies on pro-teams info) he like to make people look good to the public or owner. He always overly ranked Coyotes due to his relationship with Tim Bernhardt who got ousted this summer in favor of our old golf cart buddy. It is funny how Liljegren and (and none of Marks Picks) no London Knights are on the list. I'm not gonna dig too deep into it as a conspiracy theory, but maybe Mark pissed into Craig's coffee or something.

For whatever reason, it feels like Craig has undervalued Leafs players outside of Sandin and later Nylander in these rankings. Here is what he did in 2015, he had Willy at 16 (not terrible but too low) and had Domi one (shock a Coyotes prospect, also had Dvorak top 10), and the next year while he had Willy at 1, he put Marner behind Strome, Dvorak, Connor and Provorov (shocking two Coyotes prospect).

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-30-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.183391

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-30-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.183391

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad