Sportsnet: Marleau has asked the Leafs to move him to the West

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Colorado is losing depth player Wilson and brought in Brassard at the deadline because they wanted depth (which obviously didn't work out).

Yotes have nearly 9M in cap space with a max of 4 roster spots to fill out which will mostly be near league minimum players. If they bring in a big name such as Kessel there will be money going out the door. They've got lots of cap wiggle room.

Marleau according to reports is only owed 2.75M after collecting his signing bonus. At that price tag for a team that has extra cap room he is a good deal as he can still contribute in a 3rd line role.
avs dont need depth their depth is fine. they need second line scoring talent not another 30 somehting point player middling player.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
seems like a pretty fair deal. Well thought out and explained. Good post. Leafs should be able to absorb 3.75 cap hit in 19/20, heck if Pearson rebounds or establishes any sort of increase in value we could get at least a couple mid-round picks for him as a 1-year contract. The canucks get out of two undesirable contracts while we get rid of one of our main ones during a cap crunch season. Brown is a nice player that may be appealing to Benning as he has some untapped offensive potential and has pretty good defense.
Obviously a Toronto perspective because that deal stinks for Vancouver.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I think so. Probably Kapanen if I had to guess
Well In that case Kadri’s sub 5M contract became a lot more valuable. Gives the leafs 5 top 6 forwards still. 4 of them star players. Unless he’s getting moved for D help

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I’ve heard through the grapevine a deal may already be consummated but just waiting for his bonus to be paid out on July 1st.

Names I’m hearing are Marleau and Eaves in a swap, one for one.

Eaves contract is not insured and the Leafs could take it on and bury it on the LTIR, and have no problem paying his salary to sit.

The Ducks on the other hand, would much rather pay Marleau (1.25m) to play (cap hit of 6.25), than they would to pay Eaves (3m) to sit.
If this is true, then sounds like a win for the Leafs.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
There’s a difference between these players wanting to leave and teams wanting to take on those contracts/cap hits. Welcome to the lucic oiler situation. Do you really think teams are going to take these players without sending cap space the other way? Or are they gonna take on these cap hits and ask for a valuable asset from Toronto to offset this burden of a contract they are taking on.
ya but lucic isn’t an RHD that is heavily coveted in the nhl. Zaitsev might be overpaid but he is still a useful player that had 36 points 2 years ago and is 27. GM’s will take a chance on that. And if someone doesn’t want to pay fair value for that, I’m sure Dubas has no problem holding on to him and look at other ways to fix his cap situation.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Marleau + Brooks + 4th for Eaves?

Getting to dump an insured contract to take on a huge cap dump, a career AHL'er and a 4th. WOOOO

Meanwhile they've just negated any benefit they may have gotten this year for trading Perry (who at least scores, even if its not as much as he used to) by replacing him with Marleau who is even less useful than Pears is.

There's no logic in that at all

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Come on now. Anaheim saves about 500k in real dollars, Toronto clears over 6M in cap space...a 1for1 would clearly benefit Toronto more by a landslide. They would need to add a significant piece.
They also get a serviceable player. I think teams value the real dollar savings more than us. What's your idea of a significant piece?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This isn't to say that a LA-Toronto deal is off the table yet imo.

I also wonder if the ducks are potential suitors seeing as they gain some cap space if Perry gets bought out.

Seems unlikely they would buy out an aging forward to gain cap relief only to that waste that new found cap on bringing in... and aging forward.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
They also get a serviceable player. I think teams value the real dollar savings more than us. What's your idea of a significant piece?

The Ducks were interested in Marleau two years ago when they were still making a push, but now he doesn't fit much of a need on a team looking to get younger, with a plethora of winger options already.

Anaheim buried Eaves last year. Flipping his salary for someone we don't really need, who makes 500k less but eats up double the cap...the benefits of that are minuscule in comparison to what Toronto gets out of clearing Marleau's entire cap hit right now.

I don't know about asking for a 1st or your top prospect, but a couple B assets need to be on the table in the very least or I just don't see the point for Anaheim.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Neither of them have played a game in the NHL and Durzi looked pretty great in the playoffs, scoring 27 points. But I’m sorry that you’re ******** about it.

Who's ***** about it? He was the Leafs third best D prospect. When people make appeals to authority (in this case Blake), I can't help but laugh about it because they get proven silly time and time again. Look no further than yesterday.

Sounds to me (given your supposed swearing) that you might be worked up?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Seems unlikely they would buy out an aging forward to gain cap relief only to that waste that new found cap on brining in... and aging forward.
I can't wait until Marleau is traded...that thread is going to be pure gold.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Neither of them have played a game in the NHL and Durzi looked pretty great in the playoffs, scoring 27 points. But I’m sorry that you’re ******** about it.
Wait, you think we are bummed about Durzi? Naw man...we don't like losing Grundy...but Durzi is an after thought. Will he prove us wrong? Maybe.

I still do that trade all day though.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
The Ducks were interested in Marleau two years ago when they were still making a push, but now he doesn't fit much of a need on a team looking to get younger, with a plethora of winger options already.

Anaheim buried Eaves last year. Flipping his salary for someone we don't really need, who makes 500k less but eats up double the cap...the benefits of that are minuscule in comparison to what Toronto gets out of clearing Marleau's entire cap hit right now.

I don't know about asking for a 1st or your top prospect, but a couple B assets need to be on the table in the very least or I just don't see the point for Anaheim.
I get what you're saying but we dont really know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe it will take an extra asset, maybe it wont. Trades dont have to benefit both teams equally so long as each team sees value. If the owners deem they rather pay 500k less on a player regardless of cap, than maybe. But like I said, who knows

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Seems unlikely they would buy out an aging forward to gain cap relief only to that waste that new found cap on brining in... and aging forward.
Could they be buying him out so that the real dollars owed is less? Thus being able to afford Marleau's very cheap 1.75m real dollars owed?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Something like Marleau and a 2020 1st for Campbell would solve a lot of our woes. The Leafs need someone to take the pressure off Andersen and the kings can afford to up their return by eating Marleau's last season while rebuilding. Heck, he might even fit in with the aging Kings core and contribute more than he did for the Leafs.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I get what you're saying but we dont really know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe it will take an extra asset, maybe it wont. Trades dont have to benefit both teams equally so long as each team sees value. If the owners deem they rather pay 500k less on a player regardless of cap, than maybe. But like I said, who knows

If Murray looks at the Leafs situation with Marleau (NMC, badly need to clear cap, no buy out option) and doesn't make them pay a fairly significant price to clear $6M+ in cap space, he's a horrible GM. Your prediction banks entirely on the Ducks GM being bad at his job and doing the Leafs a huge favor, as the suggested deal drastically benefits them more than Anaheim.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
The Isles should acquire him and treat him better.

People are surprised by this? How many of us (Leafs fans) said he'd be gone in the 3rd year?

I mean it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be in Toronto for year 3 just by looking at how the contract was set up. He was overpaid and this was part of the deal.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Could they be buying him out so that the real dollars owed is less? Thus being able to afford Marleau's very cheap 1.75m real dollars owed?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Marleau is owed 2.75M after his July bonus is paid.

Eaves salary is actually only 3M, so we'd be talking about a measly 250k in real dollar savings vs Toronto shedding 6.25M in cap. The Leafs need to add something very significant for Anaheim to see any benefit.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I mean it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be in Toronto for year 3 just by looking at how the contract was set up. He was overpaid and this was part of the deal.
Yup...i said that in year one and was told i didn't know what i was talking about.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yup...i said that in year one and was told i didn't know what i was talking about.

I think majority of people figured that he wouldnt be around in year 3 but the tricky thing is actually trying to trade him. Alot of fans assumed it was easy peasy gone in year 3 without adding something significant with him which was funny to constantly read.

It will be quite tricky moving him without including major pieces involved. Especially seeing the cap is going to be lower than expected

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad