Sportsnet: Marleau has asked the Leafs to move him to the West

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Vancouver?

Marleau (6.25x1)+Brown (2.1x1) + 2019 4th ($8.35 total)
for
Spooner (3x1) + Pearson (3.75x2) ($6.75 total)

• Leafs save $1.6m against the cap year 1, add $3.75m against the cap year 2. Year 1 savings go to around $2.6m if they bury Spooner.
  • Marleau +Brown would both play for Vancouver after the trade, Marleau outplayed Pearson this year, and Brown (statistically) was roughly even.
  • Marleau has shown he can be a great mentor for young guys, something Vancouver has a ton of.
  • Pearson's style would be useful on the Leafs LW, Leafs hope he is the guys he was 2 years ago. Vancouver hopes Brown is who he was 2 years ago.
  • Vancouver saves real $ both this year and in total (somewhere around 5-6m depending on how Marleau's bonuses work)
  • Vancouver gets out of a bad contract 1 year earlier.
  • Leafs can either try to rehab Spooner, or bury him in the minors.
  • If Leafs need extra cap room next year, they can look to move Pearson.

Leafs say no.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No, I don’t blame Toronto if they didn’t want to do that. LA likely isn’t competing next year I’d guess, so a 2nd round pick as a sweetener seems fair to me.

convenient timing with LA buying out Dion and the connection he had with TO

personally I would have taken Neon back on the leafs @ 3.5mil straight up for Marleau

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
pretty sure they wanted to unload phaneuf @ 5.25 x 2 years.

I imagine in that case Dion would be have been bought out by toronto. LA could have even retained on Dion first meaning the buy out cap hit would have been split between Toronto, Ottawa and LA.

Lot of moving numbers but could have been a win/win for LA and Toronto.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Vancouver?

for

• Leafs save $1.6m against the cap year 1, add $3.75m against the cap year 2. Year 1 savings go to around $2.6m if they bury Spooner.
  • Marleau +Brown would both play for Vancouver after the trade, Marleau outplayed Pearson this year, and Brown (statistically) was roughly even.
  • Marleau has shown he can be a great mentor for young guys, something Vancouver has a ton of.
  • Pearson's style would be useful on the Leafs LW, Leafs hope he is the guys he was 2 years ago. Vancouver hopes Brown is who he was 2 years ago.
  • Vancouver saves real $ both this year and in total (somewhere around 5-6m depending on how Marleau's bonuses work)

mildly interesting but the main reason to move this guys is cap relief and this gives em only 1.6

so 16.7 to sign marner,johnsson,kap and call up Rosen assuming they bury spooner.....thats pretty tight.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I imagine in that case Dion would be have been bought out by toronto. LA could have even retained on Dion first meaning the buy out cap hit would have been split between Toronto, Ottawa and LA.

Lot of moving numbers but could have been a win/win for LA and Toronto.

Toronto getting hit with 4 years of cap after buying out phaneuf probably isnt ideal for moving 1 year of marleau

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This isn't to say that a LA-Toronto deal is off the table yet imo.

I also wonder if the ducks are potential suitors seeing as they gain some cap space if Perry gets bought out.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
convenient timing with LA buying out Dion and the connection he had with TO

personally I would have taken Neon back on the leafs @ 3.5mil straight up for Marleau
Dion doesn't have much of a connection anymore...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Pretty sure eaves is just LTIR/insured contract.

I think the cap hit would still cost something in return, 2.75(6.25) vs 3(ltir). Were only saving 250k in real $ if were paying marleau 2.75, while taking in 6.25 towards our cap. Not saying it would cost a crazy amount in this deal, but Toronto would def have to add.

Marleau + _________
for
Eaves

Toronto puts eaves on LTIR, and clears bout 9 mil in cap space. Ducks take an extra asset of some sort, and hope marleau can put together a decent season, and try to get another asset at the deadline. Toronto just mostly gets stuck paying marleaus bonus + eaves contract, but I don't think they mind if they can free up that much cap space.

Marleau + Brooks + 4th for Eaves?

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
essentially this. but marleau only gets half his bonus july 1

ducks would basically pay marleau 2.75mil to play and drop 15g/35pts vs pay eaves 3mil to be a fringe NHLer
Im pretty sure they would only need to pay 1.25m (according to cap geek)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Marleau + Brooks + 4th for Eaves?
I appreciate you throwing in 1 of those juicy Toronto draft picks for us ;)

I really don't no the value but I think that is at least a starting point.

It really just depends on what happens to Perry imo, if we can free up some cap space on him whether its a buyout, then free up the eaves space in the trade + kesler ltir… we should have enough money to take in marleau + find a top 4 rhd to play along side fowler.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Blake also apparently thought Durzi was better than Liljegren, so, grain of salt.

Neither of them have played a game in the NHL and Durzi looked pretty great in the playoffs, scoring 27 points. But I’m sorry that you’re butthurt about it.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Kypreos mentioned on SN that he thinks it would take Kapanen to get a team to take on Marleau.

If that is the price of taking on Marleau's contract. It should be a lot more to get rid of Zaitsev.

Leafs could lose Marleau, Zaitsev, Kapanen, Johnsson+ this summer.

Would leafs fans be okay with that??

Leaf fans should be ok with this. Frees up like $15 million in cap. Enough to sign or trade for 2 RD and a middle 6 left winger.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Im pretty sure they would only need to pay 1.25m (according to cap geek)

The bonus is most likely paid in two installments. One on July 1st and another portion sometime towards the end of the year. The exact amount isn’t listed, but most assumptions seem to have it evenly split so a team taking him after July 1st still will need to pay 2.75 mil in actual cash.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
HF - Leafs are in cap hell and won't have the money to sign all their rfa players. Marleau will never waive his NTC. Those Marleau and Zaitsev contracts are now coming back to bite them. Cap Hell!!!!

Reality - Leafs move both contracts, sign rfa players and get some RD help

We can and we will :clap:
There’s a difference between these players wanting to leave and teams wanting to take on those contracts/cap hits. Welcome to the lucic oiler situation. Do you really think teams are going to take these players without sending cap space the other way? Or are they gonna take on these cap hits and ask for a valuable asset from Toronto to offset this burden of a contract they are taking on.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
There’s a difference between these players wanting to leave and teams wanting to take on those contracts/cap hits. Welcome to the lucic oiler situation. Do you really think teams are going to take these players without sending cap space the other way? Or are they gonna take on these cap hits and ask for a valuable asset from Toronto to offset this burden of a contract they are taking on.
Dubas will work everything out. You worry to much....

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Vancouver?

for

This is a brutal deal for Vancouver.

Vancouver has a ton of bottom 6 wingers so adding Brown accomplishes nothing. As for the "hoping for Brown of 2 years ago", I can't see too many GM's jumping on a bottom 6 reclamation and treating it like there is value there. Marleau is 100% a cap dump and the 4th is well quite frankly a 4th.

Pearson played fairly well with Horvat after the trade. He has 12 pts in 19 games or a 52 pt pace in 82. Now it's fair to assume he might not keep up that pace but I like him better than Brown to produce at a top 6 winger level. As for Spooner, yeah he's terrible but we can waive him. If the Leafs want the Canucks to take on Marleau, the sweetener has to be more than giving up the best player and getting a 4th for our trouble.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad