Sportsnet: Marleau has asked the Leafs to move him to the West

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think majority of people figured that he wouldnt be around in year 3 but the tricky thing is actually trying to trade him. Alot of fans assumed it was easy peasy gone in year 3 without adding something significant with him which was funny to constantly read.

It will be quite tricky moving him without including major pieces involved
It depends on what the add is, i have no issue adding a 2nd and maybe another pick.....i can see a team like LA taking on 1 year for free assets.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
If Murray looks at the Leafs situation with Marleau (NMC, badly need to clear cap, no buy out option) and doesn't make them pay a fairly significant price to clear $6M+ in cap space, he's a horrible GM. Your prediction banks entirely on the Ducks GM being bad at his job and doing the Leafs a huge favor, as the suggested deal drastically benefits them more than Anaheim.
My premise is that they'd rather take the cap hit then pay more real money for nothing. The fact it benefits the leafs is irrelevant, that's not how things work. It's not the GMs job to rip off other GM's. If he deems it to be beneficial for his organization he will, regardless hownit benefits the leafs.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The bonus is most likely paid in two installments. One on July 1st and another portion sometime towards the end of the year. The exact amount isn’t listed, but most assumptions seem to have it evenly split so a team taking him after July 1st still will need to pay 2.75 mil in actual cash.
Aren't they trying to trade him before July 1st so he can be bought out and get sent to the sharks now tho ?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
My premise is that they'd rather take the cap hit then pay more real money for nothing. The fact it benefits the leafs is irrelevant, that's not how things work. It's not the GMs job to rip off other GM's. If he deems it to be beneficial for his organization he will, regardless hownit benefits the leafs.

No GM is going to make a trade to save their owner 250k, and let the other team shed 6.25M in cap space. It's not in the best interest of any GM to help other teams solve problems.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
This is a brutal deal for Vancouver.

Vancouver has a ton of bottom 6 wingers so adding Brown accomplishes nothing. As for the "hoping for Brown of 2 years ago", I can't see too many GM's jumping on a bottom 6 reclamation and treating it like there is value there. Marleau is 100% a cap dump and the 4th is well quite frankly a 4th.

Pearson played fairly well with Horvat after the trade. He has 12 pts in 19 games or a 52 pt pace in 82. Now it's fair to assume he might not keep up that pace but I like him better than Brown to produce at a top 6 winger level. As for Spooner, yeah he's terrible but we can waive him. If the Leafs want the Canucks to take on Marleau, the sweetener has to be more than giving up the best player and getting a 4th for our trouble.
The Leafs aren't going near that one. Pearson and Spooner are safe in Vancouver.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Come on now. Anaheim saves about 500k in real dollars, Toronto clears over 6M in cap space...a 1for1 would clearly benefit Toronto more by a landslide. They would need to add a significant piece.

The significant "add" is they are giving Anaheim a player who can actually play.
Marleau would have been fifth in scoring on the Ducks.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The significant "add" is they are giving Anaheim a player who can actually play.
Marleau would have been fifth in scoring on the Ducks.

It's a week before free agency when a similar player can be signed without doing the Leafs a favor, everyone is aware of how bad they need to clear that big cap hit and how limited their options are. No one is coveting Marleau as a positive asset right now. Especially not a team that just bought out a veteran winger to make room for younger players.

Marleau makes absolutely no sense for Anaheim or anyone else unless the Leafs add a reason to do take him off their hands. The benefit Toronto receives from clearing that space far outweighs anything Marleau will bring to another team, GM's aren't going to help the Leafs with that issue for no good reason.

Feb 24, 2017
The Leafs aren't going near that one. Pearson and Spooner are safe in Vancouver.
Pearson isn’t available. Outside of the “no duhs” like Tavares and Matthews and Marner he would be an upgrade in your top 6.

This of course takes into consideration the fact Willa makes so much money for the production gap between him and Pearson.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Pearson isn’t available. Outside of the “no duhs” like Tavares and Matthews and Marner he would be an upgrade in your top 6.

This of course takes into consideration the fact Willa makes so much money for the production gap between him and Pearson.
Pearson scored 27 points last year. He's not an upgrade on Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman or Bracco. The Leafs don't have room for Pearson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad