Sportsnet: Marleau has asked the Leafs to move him to the West

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Huh? The post I quoted was saying that if the Leafs can't trade him, he retires....

Yes. You can trade a retired persons cap. Like datsyuk. It doesn’t cost that team money. Just cap. If you have to take an LTIR player and then pay out the rest of the hit as insureancr doesn’t cover all of it

Ie. no fit for marleau. He decides to write Trade him to Ottawa for MacArthur.

Marleau retires. Sens eat his hit.

We pay whatever percent of the actual money mac isn’t covered.

Put him on LTIR. Boom

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Vancouver?

Marleau (6.25x1)+Brown (2.1x1) + 2019 4th ($8.35 total)
for
Spooner (3x1) + Pearson (3.75x2) ($6.75 total)

• Leafs save $1.6m against the cap year 1, add $3.75m against the cap year 2. Year 1 savings go to around $2.6m if they bury Spooner.
  • Marleau +Brown would both play for Vancouver after the trade, Marleau outplayed Pearson this year, and Brown (statistically) was roughly even.
  • Marleau has shown he can be a great mentor for young guys, something Vancouver has a ton of.
  • Pearson's style would be useful on the Leafs LW, Leafs hope he is the guys he was 2 years ago. Vancouver hopes Brown is who he was 2 years ago.
  • Vancouver saves real $ both this year and in total (somewhere around 5-6m depending on how Marleau's bonuses work)
  • Vancouver gets out of a bad contract 1 year earlier.
  • Leafs can either try to rehab Spooner, or bury him in the minors.
  • If Leafs need extra cap room next year, they can look to move Pearson.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Kypreos mentioned on SN that he thinks it would take Kapanen to get a team to take on Marleau.

If that is the price of taking on Marleau's contract. It should be a lot more to get rid of Zaitsev.

Leafs could lose Marleau, Zaitsev, Kapanen, Johnsson+ this summer.

Would leafs fans be okay with that??

Leafs don't need to move Marleau. They would like to move Marleau so they can re-sign people like Kapanen. To use Kapanen as the bait to move Marleau would be utterly self-defeating (and a massive overpayment). If it came to it, they would simply retain Marleau for one more year and trade Kapanen for some very nice futures.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Vancouver?

Marleau (6.25x1)+Brown (2.1x1) + 2019 4th ($8.35 total)
for
Spooner (3x1) + Pearson (3.75x2) ($6.75 total)

• Leafs save $1.6m against the cap year 1, add $3.75m against the cap year 2. Year 1 savings go to around $2.6m if they bury Spooner.
  • Marleau +Brown would both play for Vancouver after the trade, Marleau outplayed Pearson this year, and Brown (statistically) was roughly even.
  • Marleau has shown he can be a great mentor for young guys, something Vancouver has a ton of.
  • Pearson's style would be useful on the Leafs LW, Leafs hope he is the guys he was 2 years ago. Vancouver hopes Brown is who he was 2 years ago.
  • Vancouver saves real $ both this year and in total (somewhere around 5-6m depending on how Marleau's bonuses work)
  • Vancouver gets out of a bad contract 1 year earlier.
  • Leafs can either try to rehab Spooner, or bury him in the minors.
  • If Leafs need extra cap room next year, they can look to move Pearson.
seems like a pretty fair deal. Well thought out and explained. Good post. Leafs should be able to absorb 3.75 cap hit in 19/20, heck if Pearson rebounds or establishes any sort of increase in value we could get at least a couple mid-round picks for him as a 1-year contract. The canucks get out of two undesirable contracts while we get rid of one of our main ones during a cap crunch season. Brown is a nice player that may be appealing to Benning as he has some untapped offensive potential and has pretty good defense.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Marleau is moveable because he's only on a one year deal and I'm sure the Leafs will eventually succeed at a surprisingly low cost. Probably they will have to include picks/prospects or a roster player but it won't be extortionate. Zaitzev on the other hand, will be very very hard to move.

Reactions: YP44

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nobody Wants Marleau on his current contract.

Get over your victimhood complex.
Nobody Wants Marleau on his current contract.

Get over your victimhood complex.

You don’t know that....
They might want him at a reduced rate. They might want him more than another contract.

They might even want him straight up. But Dubas might want something in return.

You don’t know that at all.

We were told Marleau won’t waive too.

Leaf fans have been told a lot of things about the future.... and recently seems to go the way we expected.

Well except beating the bruins. People have been right on the money there

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Kypreos mentioned on SN that he thinks it would take Kapanen to get a team to take on Marleau.

If that is the price of taking on Marleau's contract. It should be a lot more to get rid of Zaitsev.

Kypreos has mentioned it would take Mitch Marner to get Brandon Montour (seriously, he did this). Nick is terrible.

And no, attaching a player like Kapanen is way too much for one year of 1.25M in actual money, it'll take a sweetener because of the cap hit, but not a Kapanen level sweetener.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You don’t know that....
They might want him at a reduced rate. They might want him more than another contract.

They might even want him straight up. But Dubas might want something in return.

You don’t know that at all.

We were told Marleau won’t waive too.

Leaf fans have been told a lot of things about the future.... and recently seems to go the way we expected.

Well except beating the bruins. People have been right on the money there

LeBrun reported that the Leafs Kings deal fell through because Blake wanted incentive to take Marleau. Meaning Blake felt Marleau was negative value.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
LeBrun reported that the Leafs Kings deal fell through because Blake wanted incentive to take Marleau. Meaning Blake felt Marleau was negative value.

For now......
Talks cool they go up and down. He said they don’t have something now but could re visit. We will see what happens. It won’t happen if it does until after July 1 anyway

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I’ve heard through the grapevine a deal may already be consummated but just waiting for his bonus to be paid out on July 1st.

Names I’m hearing are Marleau and Eaves in a swap, one for one.

Eaves contract is not insured and the Leafs could take it on and bury it on the LTIR, and have no problem paying his salary to sit.

The Ducks on the other hand, would much rather pay Marleau (1.25m) to play (cap hit of 6.25), than they would to pay Eaves (3m) to sit.

Reactions: Sam Steel

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I’ve heard through the grapevine a deal may already be consummated but just waiting for his bonus to be paid out on July 1st.

Eaves contract is not insured and the Leafs could take it on and bury it on the LTIR, and have no problem paying his salary to sit.

The Ducks on the other hand, would much rather pay Marleau (1.25m) to play (cap hit of 6.25), than they would to pay Eaves (3m) to sit.
Clarkson-Horton trade part two?

Thought I heard half Marleau's bonus is paid Jan 1 or something?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kypreos has mentioned it would take Mitch Marner to get Brandon Montour (seriously, he did this). Nick is terrible.

And no, attaching a player like Kapanen is way too much for one year of 1.25M in actual money, it'll take a sweetener because of the cap hit, but not a Kapanen level sweetener.

leafs need space to sign kapanen and johnsson so....

trade kapanen and johnsson to get rid of marleau and zaitsev....

hfboards logic

when we all look back at marleau and zaitsev deals, moving both guys is gonna end up balancing out (ex marleau +2nd for warm body, zaitsev returns a 3rd)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

essentially this. but marleau only gets half his bonus july 1

ducks would basically pay marleau 2.75mil to play and drop 15g/35pts vs pay eaves 3mil to be a fringe NHLer

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Lol the Leafs felt they didn’t need to add a sweetener? So LA was just supposed to take Marleau to be nice?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lol the Leafs felt they didn’t need to add a sweetener? So LA was just supposed to take Marleau to be nice?
definitely more to it than that. LA wanted to dump a bad contract with term. Dubas isnt taking phaneuf/kovalchuk/carter with term to save a mil cap this year

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

so to make space to sign kap+johnsson, they trade both of those guys to move out salary

makes sense. moving these guys out + horton to LTIR gives em 25+ million with only marner to sign! SMH!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
definitely more to it than that. LA wanted to dump a bad contract with term. Dubas isnt taking phaneuf/kovalchuk/carter with term to save a mil cap this year

No, I don’t blame Toronto if they didn’t want to do that. LA likely isn’t competing next year I’d guess, so a 2nd round pick as a sweetener seems fair to me.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
HF - Leafs are in cap hell and won't have the money to sign all their rfa players. Marleau will never waive his NTC. Those Marleau and Zaitsev contracts are now coming back to bite them. Cap Hell!!!!

Reality - Leafs move both contracts, sign rfa players and get some RD help

We can and we will :clap:
I wonder what the Leafs will have to take back/give up to make it happen? Just because the players are willing to be traded doesn’t mean other teams will actually want them.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
essentially this. but marleau only gets half his bonus july 1

ducks would basically pay marleau 2.75mil to play and drop 15g/35pts vs pay eaves 3mil to be a fringe NHLer
Pretty sure eaves is just LTIR/insured contract.

I think the cap hit would still cost something in return, 2.75(6.25) vs 3(ltir). Were only saving 250k in real $ if were paying marleau 2.75, while taking in 6.25 towards our cap. Not saying it would cost a crazy amount in this deal, but Toronto would def have to add.

Marleau + _________
for
Eaves

Toronto puts eaves on LTIR, and clears bout 9 mil in cap space. Ducks take an extra asset of some sort, and hope marleau can put together a decent season, and try to get another asset at the deadline. Toronto just mostly gets stuck paying marleaus bonus + eaves contract, but I don't think they mind if they can free up that much cap space.

Reactions: JohnnyT91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad