Sportsnet: Marleau has asked the Leafs to move him to the West

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
According to Kypreos on Saturday Headlines, Marleau and the Leafs are ready to part ways.

Marleau's family is moving back to San Jose and he wants to be closer to them.

Teams in the mix include Arizona, Colorado and the Kings. His real salary drops pretty low after July 1st.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The split bonus payout makes this tricky for Arizona. Maybe they can be a conduit and take him after the Leafs pay the first bonus but then flip him to SJ (and retain cap) before the next bonus is due.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well if LA takes on Marleau's contract without getting anything for it then Blake should be shot and I would think Kings fans would be pissed!
Oh i didn't say the Leafs were moving Marleau for free. But multiple posters have stated as fact that Marleau would not waive.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
EtA21I.gif

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
HF - Leafs are in cap hell and won't have the money to sign all their rfa players. Marleau will never waive his NTC. Those Marleau and Zaitsev contracts are now coming back to bite them. Cap Hell!!!!

Reality - Leafs move both contracts, sign rfa players and get some RD help

We can and we will :clap:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Pretty neat how the Leafs two biggest cap problems suddenly and conveniently both asked for trades the summer the Leafs need to shed a lot of cap.

to be fair, Zaitsev has been available for trade since last summer. He just decided to publicly ask for a trade for some reason.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Cap savings here we come (obviously depending on the contract needed to take back in return to balance). Marleau can still play he's just not a top 6 anymore, and the problem being his that cap hit calls for that kind of production. However as others have mentioned he's owed very little real dollars this season (2.5?) as his contract was frontloaded with this possibility potentially in mind. Cap floor teams might find the savings in actual dollars appealing. The out West specificity makes it more complicated tho as it limits the suitors quite drastically.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
HF - Leafs are in cap hell and won't have the money to sign all their rfa players. Those Marleau and Zaitsev contracts are now coming back to bite them. Cap Hell!!!!

Reality - Leafs move both contracts, sign rfa players and get some RD help

We can and we will :clap:
How is that being a good GM (as you are insinuating )
It’s pure horse crap luck that Marleau and Zaitsev are willing to be traded....

Reactions: IslandersFan17

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Sounds good to me!
Bingo.
Kadri+Marleau for EJ it is!!

That poster has no idea what he's talking about and routinely posts trades the Leafs lose badly. There is a 0% chance that Kyle Dubas moves Nazem Kadri for Erik Johnson. C'mon now lol. If you're expecting to get Kadri, be prepared to be disappointed. Not being moved barring a complete overpayment.

Reactions: Blueboy and TML1990

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bingo.
Kadri+Marleau for EJ it is!!

Ugggghhh no.

EJ’s contract is awful.

We can just trade Kadri to COL for futures and get the same amount of relief, since Johnson only makes 25K less than Marleau.

If EJ had 2 years left, I’d be down, but the dude has struggled with injuries his entire career, and is on the wrong side of 30. 4 more years could be nasty.

Kadri for Jost/Timmins + 16 seems agreeable, so just do Kadri + Marleau for Jost/Timmins and COL’s 2nd instead.

If some relief is needed, we can take Nieto’s 2M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->