Marko Dano

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Dano didn't play 25+ games this season he likely wouldn't have gained the valuable experience necessary to play the way he was playing towards the end of the season. Even if he was still eligible for the Calder after what he did this past season there's quite frankly no way in hell he wins it, and a nomination is almost as unlikely. McDavid, Eichel, Reinhart, etc.

Next year's Calder-eligible pool of players is going to be insanely good.

No doubt. But the numbers he posted even strength were so good that it's hard for me to state unequivocally that he couldn't be reasonably projected to put up numbers in the ballpark with these outstanding players.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If even Dano is more than good enough to play on the powerplay, good luck persuading TR to put him in there over our veterans.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If even Dano is more than good enough to play on the powerplay, good luck persuading TR to put him in there over our veterans.

Barring a trade 5 of our 6 regular PP forwards are filled (Joey, Foligno, Dubi, Jenner, Hartnell) He can easily fight with Wennberg, Bourque, etc for PP time. Thats without injuries/bad play from vets.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Daňo with shootout game-winning goal against Denmark. Was moved from 3rd to 1st line starting from 3rd period, played with Gáborík and Kopecký. Not sure what tomorrow's lines will be because Detroit's Tatar and Jurčo are joining the team. Daňo also got to see some PP time.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Daňo traveling up and down Slovakia's line-up – related to Slovakia captain Kopecký being moved from 1st to 3rd, then the 4th line and finally being benched for performance reasons. :amazed: Daňo started yesterday's game on the 1st line with Gáborík and Kopecký, was then moved lower, and is expected to start on the 4th line tonight.

Daňo's Worlds tourney so far: 3 games played, 1 goal (the shootout game-winner – counts as a regular goal in IIHF events), +/-0, 11 shots on goal, pretty high ice time: 17:39 – 16:26 — 18:16.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Daňo injured his knee in the final period of the Slovakia vs. Finland game and is out of the tourney. Will reportedly need around 4 weeks to heal.

His final stats for the tourney: 5 games played, 1 game-winning shootout goal, +/-0, 2 penalty minutes, 14 shots on goal. He played on the 4th line in his final game. I'd say overall he was decent though not remarkable at this year's Worlds, among the better players on the disappointing Slovakia team.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Anything but meaningless to Europeans. More important than the Stanley Cup play-offs for hockey fans here, the highlight of the hockey season.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Glad he got hurt playing in an almost meaningless tournanent

I doubt it was meaningless for any of the Slovak players to play infront of an enthuastic home crowd. In comparison he played 30 meaningless games for the Blue Jackets this season...

Finland's World Championship team for example consists mostly of NHLers and elite European players that ain't so far from Letestus and Calverts of this world. Some of those non-NHLers even ahead as individuals.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I doubt it was meaningless for any of the Slovak players to play infront of an enthuastic home crowd. In comparison he played 30 meaningless games for the Blue Jackets this ...

Another good point. He played those "meaningless games" in Columbus because he was paid to and because he wants to compete at the highest levels of his sport. He played in the tourney for pride and love of homeland. All equally valid reasons to put himself on the line.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Well I'm glad for him he got to compete in his homeland and for his country. But that doesn't change the fact that the games are meaningless to NHL teams like the Jackets and to be honest that's all I really care about. Just like I bet most of the Slovakian fans don't give a damn about the Blue Jackets either. I hope he gained valuable experience and is happy he competed, that doesn't change my opinion though.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah a 20 year old playing hockey is horrible, especially when some of the best players in the world are involved. I vote we bubblewrap all the players through the offseason and no fun allowed

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Well I'm glad for him he got to compete in his homeland and for his country. But that doesn't change the fact that the games are meaningless to NHL teams like the Jackets and to be honest that's all I really care about. Just like I bet most of the Slovakian fans don't give a damn about the Blue Jackets either. I hope he gained valuable experience and is happy he competed, that doesn't change my opinion though.

I'm with you.

An NHL career is primary; everything else is secondary. Including the ridiculous professional Olympics-which I hope the NHL opts out of from now on. National teams and Olympic teams which are thrown together at the last moment are "teams" only in the sense of a national identification. They haven't practiced together at all. The games consist of a bunch of individuals which don't have the cohesion of a true team. A team spends a season together and practices over a long period.

The Russian National Teams were real teams. There are other national teams today which play together for entire seasons. The World Championships and Olympics are nothing more than exhibitions whether people like that fact or not-they're not teams in any real sense of the word.

The injury risk of these exhibitions are real. I wonder if players or national organizations have to take out insurance on their players' professional contracts? It would seem unfair to NHL (or European professional teams) to have to bear the burden for injuries suffered in an exhibition from which they don't benefit.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes because golfing, eating pancakes, and warming up are as great of odds for injury and 100% on par with an international tournament of hockey. Solid comparisons.

Point is injuries can happen anywhere. These countries all pay for and develop these players and once these players make the NHL not many get a chance that often to play for their countries. During the season is stupid but when the season is over if a player wants to wear his countries jersey then who cares

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Point is injuries can happen anywhere. These countries all pay for and develop these players and once these players make the NHL not many get a chance that often to play for their countries. During the season is stupid but when the season is over if a player wants to wear his countries jersey then who cares

If I'm the owner of the team, I care. I'm sure Wang cared when Tavares tore his ACL at the Olympics last year too. Especially if the Isles were a playoff team like they were this year. I'm all for giving back and all that, but once you become an NHLer that should be your primary focus.

And once again. Comparing the freak incidents of Giroux's hand, Penner and pancakes, etc as "injuries happen anywhere" isn't right. It's not even close to the risk of injury as playing games.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If I'm the owner of the team, I care. I'm sure Wang cared when Tavares tore his ACL at the Olympics last year too. Especially if the Isles were a playoff team like they were this year. I'm all for giving back and all that, but once you become an NHLer that should be your primary focus.

And once again. Comparing the freak incidents of Giroux's hand, Penner and pancakes, etc as "injuries happen anywhere" isn't right. It's not even close to the risk of injury as playing games.

We are never going to agree so I'm not gonna argue. All I'm gonna say is if I'm an owner and a 20 year old wants to play for his country and gain experience im not saying no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad