Marko Dano

KlichkoBro*

I don't understand why European fans and players care so much about the WC. North America doesn't and I think that will be the deciding factor in the NHL's stance.
That's the only possibility to see our best players playing for our countries. Or represent your country in other case.
Is that's so hard to understand?

you can see your best players all year long, we can't.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Even Vezina-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovski can take highly valuable ice hockey experience from these games. Especially after having less than stellar NHL play-offs previously, being mostly back-up at home olympics it will be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

Or does it hurt him to play in one-shot elimination play-off games in a tournament where entire nations of millions (Russia, Finland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Sweden) keep close watch over their teams? Not many NHL regular season games infront of a casual audience that only follows the goal horn (if even that) can offer similar challenge.

Finland's current equipment manager is also third overall NHL draft selection from the 90's which should tell something about their importance in European hockey.

KlichkoBro*

Or does it hurt him to play in one-shot elimination play-off games in a tournament where entire nations of millions (Russia, Finland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Sweden) keep close watch over their teams? Not many NHL regular season games infront of a casual audience that only follows the goal horn (if even that) can offer similar challenge.
tomorrow Belarus is probably gonna eliminate Slovakia. But the point is: both COUNTRIES are following their teams.
And Dano is my favorite Jacket now to get closer to the topic.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You speak of commitment to the 20 other guys on the team? That's laughable. They have a commitment to millions of people in the country where they were raised and learned how to play the game...

No, they don't. They have a commitment to the team they signed a contract to and to the other 20 guys that lay their bodies on the line for 82+ games a season for. Like I said, if someone like Bobrovsky had a season ending injury I can almost guarantee you nobody on the jackets would play international play the next season.

And most of the time, its the sponsors that pay for everything, not taxpayer money.

I get the argument of not getting to see your players outside of the NHL but the bottom line is these kids came to the NHL to win a stanley cup, that is every hockey players ultimate dream. Not a WC, not a gold medal, not some international trophy, but the Holy Grail of hockey. So risking your teams success for an offseason tournament is irresponsible and not worth it in the long run.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
tomorrow Belarus is probably gonna eliminate Slovakia.

You mean today. :) Belarus's final game starts in about 4 hours from now, Slovakia's in about 8 hours. Belarus needs a regulation tie to clinch the play-off spot over Slovakia. The two GDTs are here and here. By the way, the mutual Slovakia vs. Belarus game broke a record of many years in terms of viewer shares on Slovak TV. (The Sunday afternoon game-time certainly helped.) The stature of the hockey Worlds tourney on Slovak TV can only be compared to the Super Bowl in the US. The hockey Worlds are our annual Super Bowl, so we certainly want to see our best players compete in the event. The annual loss of Hossa is tough enough to bear. ;) In contrast, very few people over here watch the Stanley Cup finals (the games starting at 2 a.m. being the main reason).

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
the bottom line is these kids came to the NHL to win a stanley cup, that is every hockey players ultimate dream. Not a WC, not a gold medal, not some international trophy

Olympic gold or Worlds gold are not "some", but the international trophies.

Besides, I don't think what you're saying is really true. For example, if you asked Jágr if he valued the Stanley Cups with Pittsburgh, or the Olympic gold from Nagano more, there's a very good chance he would pick the Nagano gold. There were close to a million people in the streets welcoming the arrival of the plane from Japan – can't really be compared with any victory parade in Pittsburgh. What's the joy of a single city on a different continent compared to the joy of people from your entire native country? (I think that's a Peter Bondra quote.) ;)

an offseason tournament

Again, the Worlds are anything but an "off"-season tournament, just like the football World Cup isn't an "off"-season tournament. They are considered the climax, the highlight of the season, the most important part of the season. Again, the Worlds to Europeans are like the Stanley Cup play-offs to Americans. If NHL teams have a problem with that, they should only draft and hire Canadian & US players. Issue resolved. :)

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Euros posting on this board have sold me on their passion for the World Championships.

I guess that ever since the incredible 1980 Olympic Team, it's been downhill on the international scene from my perspective. I loved the romantic element of the amateurs beating the Soviet "amateurs".

A lot has to do with one's perspective on his country as well. Smaller, more homogenous nations have a very real sense of unity whereas a huge, fragmented US doesn't really have a sense of "oneness" that a, say, Finland has.

So, enjoy your WCs, guys. If I were the NHL dictator, then I guess I'd have to let players suit up if they so desired. I would demand that the organizing bodies carry insurance for the value of a player's contract, especially if they were a Blue Jacket:naughty:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I would demand that the organizing bodies carry insurance for the value of a player's contract, especially if they were a Blue Jacket:naughty:

I actually think the national teams are carrying the insurance for the duration of the tourney, and there have been instances in the past (though I can't remember a specific example) when players chose to pay their insurance for the Worlds out of their own pocket, because their national team just couldn't afford to pay it. I believe the insurance for someone like Ovechkin (and he plays in the Worlds every year as soon as the Caps are eliminated – I think Russia is still keeping a roster spot open for him right now) is astronomical (was it six figures?!), but Russia had no problems covering it from sponsor money.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I can see both sides of the story. A season or career ending injury of an NHL player while playing in the Worlds or Olympics is the chance the players take.

I for one, have always loved Olympic hockey, and WC and WJC. The internet has made them all easier to watch in the last handful of years. The players love it too. Playing for one's country is the ultimate, even if it means an injury can keep a player from his pro or amateur team.

Most ownership groups are willing to allow "their" players to play, because they too know how it is important for these players to put their country's sweater on.

Brought up by a previous post, is will the NHL keep allowing it's players to participate in the Olympics because of having to compress it's own schedule, which in turn causes havoc for the league.

Dano will hopefully not miss any of the upcoming CBJ season.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I get the argument of not getting to see your players outside of the NHL but the bottom line is these kids came to the NHL to win a stanley cup, that is every hockey players ultimate dream. Not a WC, not a gold medal, not some international trophy, but the Holy Grail of hockey. So risking your teams success for an offseason tournament is irresponsible and not worth it in the long run.

Alex Ovechkin "The Olympics are my dream! True, I still haven't tamed the Stanley Cup. But it is difficult to compare these two tournaments. The Olympics happen only once every four years, and you defend the honor of your country there."

Henrik Sedin ""I think this is obviously the biggest game you can play," said Sedin. "I think you look at Olympic finals, world championships."

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Im on the irrelevant tournament side of the argument. Of course it means something to the player, but as a fan of the Bluejackets, these tournies are irrelevant. Of course they could get injured doing other things, but this is playing in a high level/checking tournament when theyre under contract for the team. If they get hurt in these tournies, that hurts us, the team they signed a contract with to get paid handsomely for their services. Unfortunately its not as easy as just voiding the contract from a serious injury (which is completely what should happen, they buy their own insurance and any injury is terms for termination of the contract) because you lose an asset that cant be replaced by insurance. The benefits of development for 8-10 games is not worth the risk losing an asset over.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
The Euros posting on this board have sold me on their passion for the World Championships.

I guess that ever since the incredible 1980 Olympic Team, it's been downhill on the international scene from my perspective. I loved the romantic element of the amateurs beating the Soviet "amateurs".

A lot has to do with one's perspective on his country as well. Smaller, more homogenous nations have a very real sense of unity whereas a huge, fragmented US doesn't really have a sense of "oneness" that a, say, Finland has.

So, enjoy your WCs, guys. If I were the NHL dictator, then I guess I'd have to let players suit up if they so desired. I would demand that the organizing bodies carry insurance for the value of a player's contract, especially if they were a Blue Jacket:naughty:
Lol, Uncle Jarmo should be paying attention here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't mind seeing this again.

I can't remember how waiver exemptions works - he would have to pass through waivers again to go to Cleveland, right?

I think Dano has already passed through waivers a couple times in the last couple years, so it probably doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad