Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I’m okay with Boro and I’ve actually liked his game for most of his career. To bad he hasn’t been in many playoff series because his reputation would be much more solidified.

IMO he’d be perfect as a veteran RD, don’t see where he fits with Chabot, Brannstrom and Wolanin coming along.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Is there another team in the league that has such an undying loyalty to a replacement level player?

Reactions: FlyingJ

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Is there another team in the league that has such an undying loyalty to a replacement level player?

Is he hurting the team in any way? He is probably the only player over the past 10 years where you could truly say he would take a "hometown discount" to stay in Ottawa. If he gives the team a reasonable contract, there is no reason not to sign him.

Players with Borowiecki's style are a dying breed in the NHL, the game has shifted to encourage skating and mobility alot more than physicality and strength but I think players like him are still valuable and if you have one, you hold on to him because I doubt they will be easy to replace going forward.

Reactions: DueDiligence

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The guy has earned it, but boy will I be mad if this is longer than 2 years. It's not like Boro will ever be some in demand piece, the team is in a good spot to go short term (even year to year if they wanted to push the issue) with him given that he's a guy that could fall out of the lineup at any point.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Is he hurting the team in any way? He is probably the only player over the past 10 years where you could truly say he would take a "hometown discount" to stay in Ottawa. If he gives the team a reasonable contract, there is no reason not to sign him.

Players with Borowiecki's style are a dying breed in the NHL, the game has shifted to encourage skating and mobility alot more than physicality and strength but I think players like him are still valuable and if you have one, you hold on to him because I doubt they will be easy to replace going forward.

yes if hes gonna end up taking a roster spot from better players he will be hurting the team.

Chabot
Branstromm
Wolanin
Tychonic
Lajoie

all left handed defenceman

+ the defenceman coming into the organization through picks and signings.

and dorion wants to make this guy a career senator? wtf?

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I don't think he's hurting the team at this point in his career, but that's also not relevant to the point I was trying to make. My point was that it's unusual to make such a strong commitment to a 7th defenceman.

Would it not be unusual to you for a team to say "We hope to make Radko Gudas a Washington Capital for life" or "We hope to make Nikita Zadorov a Colorado Avalanche for life"? The reason you don't hear these things is because it's flat out unusual.

Actually, it isn't even unusual, it's flat out weird. Please remember this has nothing to do with Mark Borowiecki the person.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I don't think he's hurting the team at this point in his career, but that's also not relevant to the point I was trying to make. My point was that it's unusual to make such a strong commitment to a 7th defenceman.

Would it not be unusual to you for a team to say "We hope to make Radko Gudas a Washington Capital for life" or "We hope to make Nikita Zadorov a Colorado Avalanche for life"? The reason you don't hear these things is because it's flat out unusual.

Actually, it isn't even unusual, it's flat out weird. Please remember this has nothing to do with Mark Borowiecki the person.

Could it be that Dorion is somewhat paranoid that fans are going to accuse him of selling off every player that had an identity with the team? There is nobody left who the "older" fans have a connection with now that Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Pageau and others are gone.

I think Dorion is over-compensating with Borowiecki by trying to assure us that we will at least keep one of the popular and well liked players from the previous era, which is fine, Boro-Dad is a good guy and I doubt anyone will be that upset if he is re-signed long term.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is the easiest commitment you could make to a good community guy and fan favourite.

He’s cheap, he plays down the roster, his off ice influence is great, he embodies the way the team wants to play, and he’s a home town guy.

He’ll be willing be 7th man when it’s time, and he’s rejuvenated his game to be relevant now. I see no problems. We don’t currently have a glut of NHL dmen kicking down the door.

kife

Dec 18, 2011
I don't care if he gets signed long term, just keep him out of the lineup though...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Sign him for life but how long a hockey life does he have left? He may be done by the time some of our prospect D are ready. He's good in the gym.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll say this about Boro - he has adjusted his game to fit the new realities of the NHL, and done quite well at it. He still handles the puck like a live grenade, but he has improved his skating to the point where he can stay with the faster forwards, blocks shots, and plays a smart, steady, no risk game. He's an ideal bottom pairing guy for next year, and maybe a seventh D the year after that. He's also a good example to the younger players in that his commitment to the community and to his conditioning is off the charts. How can you cheat on a workout or bail on a community event when you see that guy always putting in the work? Give him 2 x 2 right now, and start talking to him about the eventual transition to an off ice role with the club when the time comes to hang up the skates...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sign him for life but how long a hockey life does he have left? He may be done by the time some of our prospect D are ready. He's good in the gym.

length of the contract will mean a lot. Bori is solid but in 7 years might not be so solid

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Meh, I like Boro. Happy to hear he's sticking around.
We still don't know this.

1) In January 30, there was an interview with Boro in the Athletic where he said that he wants to stay, but that he doesn't seem to know what the org's plans are with him. He seemed legitimately concerned about his future in Ottawa

2) At his trade deadline press conference, Dorion told everyone that Boro was told in December that he wasn't going to be traded.

So, somebody is lying here, I am willing to bet the guy lying is the guy who has a track record in fudging the facts a little bit. Maybe this "Boro for life" chatter from yesterday is Dorion trying to save face for lying about the dialogue that supposedly took place. Maybe its a negotiating tactic. Is it possible that PD's comments ticked Boro off and now Dorion is trying to play nice?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

1) In January 30, there was an interview with Boro in the Athletic where he said that he wants to stay, but that he doesn't seem to know what the org's plans are with him. He seemed legitimately concerned about his future in Ottawa

2) At his trade deadline press conference, Dorion told everyone that Boro was told in December that he wasn't going to be traded.

So, somebody is lying here, I am willing to bet the guy lying is the guy who has a track record in fudging the facts a little bit. Maybe this "Boro for life" chatter from yesterday is Dorion trying to save face for lying about the dialogue that supposedly took place. Maybe its a negotiating tactic. Is it possible that PD's comments ticked Boro off and now Dorion is trying to play nice?

What are you inferring to when you say Dorion was lying about the dialogue that took place. Are you just trying to throw muck at Dorion or do you think there is a difference between the non-formal discussions that happen between Boro and the GM? Do you think it was how it is all phrased publicly? Like not being moved at deadline vs not being moved in the summer, maybe.

Just curious.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

dorion has always loved Boro. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t sign him. He’ll be our ‘character’ guy who wears a letter, and plays a regular shift.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What are you inferring to when you say Dorion was lying about the dialogue that took place. Are you just trying to throw muck at Dorion or do you think there is a difference between the non-formal discussions that happen between Boro and the GM? Do you think it was how it is all phrased publicly? Like not being moved at deadline vs not being moved in the summer, maybe.

Just curious.

[mod]
Happy to see Boro will likely be sticking around. He’s good for our team, and DJ seems to use him appropriately, along with Boro altering and simplifying his game to keep up with the times.

The guys all seem to love him, and he’ll do anything for the team, you need a few guys like that for a team built like ours.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think both can be true. Dorion has been laying it on pretty thick about Boro to compensate for the backlash in trading a fan favourite like Pageau, and Boro was probably being a bit of a drama queen in the interview in The Athletic. (You've heard Boro say in the past that his contract for next year is zero dollars.) It's all part of the negotiating dance...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think both can be true. Dorion has been laying it on pretty thick about Boro to compensate for the backlash in trading a fan favourite like Pageau, and Boro was probably being a bit of a drama queen in the interview in The Athletic. (You've heard Boro say in the past that his contract for next year is zero dollars.) It's all part of the negotiating dance...

It’s also a lot easier to keep a guy who isn’t looking to get a long term deal, capitalizing on a career year (no slight to JGP).

Boro will get a bottom pairing deal for a few years.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It’s also a lot easier to keep a guy who isn’t looking to get a long term deal, capitalizing on a career year (no slight to JGP).

Boro will get a bottom pairing deal for a few years.

Boro knows his value and is a pretty humble guy. He even called himself a plug online (sarcasm, i am hope) the other day. He knows his value, but does his agent know... that is the question.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Boro knows his value and is a pretty humble guy. He even called himself a plug online (sarcasm, i am hope) the other day. He knows his value, but does his agent know... that is the question.

he’ll get a little bump for his intangibles, but I suspect that around 2 mill gets it done on a 2-3 year deal to bring his career to a close.

Fits the rebuild timeline. X

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Doesn't seem to be in Boro's nature to go for the money, but this is his best (only) chance at cashing in and taking care of his family long-term. I'm sure if it's up to Mark he'll be coming back, but I wonder if his agent gets in his ear at all.

I was pretty damn sure Matt Carkner was gonna be a Senator for a long time as well and then the Isles swooped in and gave him $4.5 million. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if something similar happens this summer, if/when Boro ultimately has to look out for #1.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad