Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Doesn't seem to be in Boro's nature to go for the money, but this is his best (only) chance at cashing in and taking care of his family long-term. I'm sure if it's up to Mark he'll be coming back, but I wonder if his agent gets in his ear at all.

I was pretty damn sure Matt Carkner was gonna be a Senator for a long time as well and then the Isles swooped in and gave him $4.5 million. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if something similar happens this summer, if/when Boro ultimately has to look out for #1.

Thats right, he’ll be a UFA and undoubtably listen to what the league has to offer.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see some team offer more money and term to add him to their playoff squad.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Not suggesting that anyone should or does break the tampering rules but this is where an agent can really earn his pay. If he has the pulse of the league he should be able to help his client know what his value is elsewhere beyond the Senators. After that it's up to his client (in this case Boro) to weigh all the pros and cons (term, dollars, family, city, playing opportunity, etc...) and decide if and when the Sens make an offer whether to accept or maybe delay.

This might be risky but a possibility if he decides to become a UFA and wants to play both sides (bird in the hand):
In the pre-UFA deadline week where teams can speak to UFA Boro could test the market and then circle back to the Sens if he doesn't like what he hears. Maybe Dorion would keep a wedge in the door to keep it open for a guy like Boro. Didn't Milan Michalek do that? His mistake was agreeing to later waive his nmc for the Leafs, poor guy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What are you inferring to when you say Dorion was lying about the dialogue that took place. Are you just trying to throw muck at Dorion or do you think there is a difference between the non-formal discussions that happen between Boro and the GM? Do you think it was how it is all phrased publicly? Like not being moved at deadline vs not being moved in the summer, maybe.

Just curious.
Exactly what I said. On trade deadline day, Dorion said something about letting Boro know around Christmas time that he would not be traded, however, in an interview released to the public on January 30th, Boro seemed concerned that he still hadn't spoken with management. So, either Dorion or Boro was not being truthful.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Le scénario se répète

Interesting article from Sylvain.

Says the sens should have kept Pageau as a veteran and leader to show the young guys how to play.

Says it looks like Borowiecki might be on his way out. If so, it won’t rock the sens fan base who have suffered greater losses lately. However, it would be a different kind of loss since we couldn’t hang it on lockeroom culture (Hoffman, Karlsson) or money/greener pastures (Stone, Duchene, Pageau).

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
A REBUILDING TEAM CANNOT BE BUILT ENTIRELY OF SHINY NEW THINGS!!!

You need vets and player with character to develop a new core... just take a look a the Edmonton Oilers, entering rebuild/retool version what now...? 7.0? Pageau and Stone should have stayed!! I fully despise the way the franchise have decided to opt with their roster...

I hope that the old f*** Melnyk just drop f***ing dead and we get a new f***ing owner (I literally can't be serious about that one!!!)

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Le scénario se répète

Interesting article from Sylvain.

Says the sens should have kept Pageau as a veteran and leader to show the young guys how to play.

Says it looks like Borowiecki might be on his way out. If so, it won’t rock the sens fan base who have suffered greater losses lately. However, it would be a different kind of loss since we couldn’t hang it on lockeroom culture (Hoffman, Karlsson) or money/greener pastures (Stone, Duchene, Pageau).
you can hang it on having too many better defenseman to use, if he isn't retained. I don't see where he fits this year.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
you can hang it on having too many better defenseman to use, if he isn't retained. I don't see where he fits this year.
I mean, this absolutely makes complete sense, but Dorion really just needs to shut his trap and stop making grand statements about players returning:

«Nous voulons qu’il soit un Sénateur à vie», a-t-il même déclaré.

Hasn't he learned his lesson yet?

Reactions: jhutter

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I mean, this absolutely makes complete sense, but Dorion really just needs to shut his trap and stop making grand statements about players returning:

«Nous voulons qu’il soit un Sénateur à vie», a-t-il même déclaré.

Hasn't he learned his lesson yet?
It's a 6th-7th defenseman lol. Who cares.

edit: that was also pre-pandemic so the situation could have changed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was waiting all season for someone to step up and take his spot this year. Nobody did. He was very clearly one of the top 6 defensemen in the organization.

Well, Wolanin was hurt almost all year, Reilly played significantly more at 5v5 than him, so he's likely ahead on the depth chart and Brannstrom will likely be a full time dman this year.

There is a balance that needs to be struck between playing the guys 4hat give you the best chance of winning today and developing the guys that give you the best chance of winning tomorrow. I don't see Boro fitting in if we see Brannstrom and Wolanin as parts of the future, heck it's tough if they just see one of them as a part of the future unless somebody plays their off side.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Boro had a really good year (for Boro) . He was more valuable than guys like Names and I’m sure he wants as much $$$ and term as he can get. If his agent presented an offer to the Sens I bet it is a $4.5x5 type offer. He was close to worth that last season but I don’t think the Sens want to commit to any term or retirement contracts.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He was a fine bottom pairing guy this year with limited liability and a glue guy, after being a glue guy with lots of liability previously.

No qualms about him leaving or not being retained, though I don’t think we have a better D next season than this.

If Rielly is playing big minutes for us, it’s going to be hard to watch.

Reactions: DrEasy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Boro had a really good year (for Boro) . He was more valuable than guys like Names and I’m sure he wants as much $$$ and term as he can get. If his agent presented an offer to the Sens I bet it is a $4.5x5 type offer. He was close to worth that last season but I don’t think the Sens want to commit to any term or retirement contracts.

You're kidding right? There's no way they requested that.

Reactions: jhutter

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You're kidding right? There's no way they requested that.

Im not pretending to know ... but I don’t think his agent is peddling $2x2 around the league. What do you think his starting position would be ?

there is a fine line around the league of guys making $1.0 and $4.0 like Boedker, Arti, Names etc. He fights, blocks shots and had more goals than Chabot and half our forwards.

Reactions: aragorn

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He was a fine bottom pairing guy this year with limited liability and a glue guy, after being a glue guy with lots of liability previously.

No qualms about him leaving or not being retained, though I don’t think we have a better D next season than this.

If Rielly is playing big minutes for us, it’s going to be hard to watch.

100% agree with the bolded. I'm fairly indifferent to Boro, but really not a fan of Reilly.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Im not pretending to know ... but I don’t think his agent is peddling $2x2 around the league. What do you think his starting position would be ?

there is a fine line around the league of guys making $1.0 and $4.0 like Boedker, Arti, Names etc. He fights, blocks shots and had more goals than Chabot and half our forwards.
Nobody is paying him that much. His starting point should be what he makes now, maybe a bit higher.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nobody is paying him that much. His starting point should be what he makes now, maybe a bit higher.

Ya ... that’s probably what the Sens think and probably most other the teams. It’s easy for the player to walk away from the Sens crappy offer to see if he can find better.

That’s what is happening....

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Boro is going to test the market because the Sens aren't going to pay a ridiculous amount of money and term when he is on his way out anyway, given the talent waiting in the wings.
He is a character guy but it is a game of musical chairs and he is the last one standing! Maybe another team will offer him a contract.
Like every other NHL'er in this position he wants term!

Reactions: Sweatred

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Say what?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Well, Wolanin was hurt almost all year, Reilly played significantly more at 5v5 than him, so he's likely ahead on the depth chart and Brannstrom will likely be a full time dman this year.

There is a balance that needs to be struck between playing the guys 4hat give you the best chance of winning today and developing the guys that give you the best chance of winning tomorrow. I don't see Boro fitting in if we see Brannstrom and Wolanin as parts of the future, heck it's tough if they just see one of them as a part of the future unless somebody plays their off side.

I fully agree a balance needs to be struck, which is why I’m surprised you’re suggesting Boro should be the odd man out.

The balance that needs to be struck isn’t only about balancing current ability and potential, it’s also about balancing playing styles and abilities.

Someone has to kill penalties. Demelo is gone, Hainsey is a UFA, Goloubef is gone.

Zaitsev and Boro each had more PK TOI than Chabot, Rielly, Wolanin, Brannstrom, Jaros, Englund combined last year. I know the young guys played far less than a full season but at some point experience has to count for something. Zub is supposed to be solid defensively but I don’t want to put my eggs in that basket. I also don’t want to overload Chabot with PK minutes when he is more valuable at EV or on the PP. I have no faith in Brannstrom, Reilly, Wolanin or Englund partnering with Zaitsev on that first PK unit. Each of those guys has less career PK TOI than Boro had last year.

Running out 5 defensemen with little to no NHL PK experience with Zaitsev is a recipe for disaster.

Boro also has more hits than all those guys combined. I know the league is trending towards a softer approach to defense but someone has to bring sandpaper.

Aside from that, brining in a veteran like Boro or Hainsey isn’t only about increasing our chances to win now, it’s about ensuring you have an environment where you can properly develop the young guys. You need veteran players to show them how to be successful.

I’m on record saying I think we’re in for a lottery pick again next year anyways but it’s going to be even uglier if we don’t bring back Boro (or an experienced replacement).

Reactions: DrEasy and Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I fully agree a balance needs to be struck, which is why I’m surprised you’re suggesting Boro should be the odd man out.

The balance that needs to be struck isn’t only about balancing current ability and potential, it’s also about balancing playing styles and abilities.

Someone has to kill penalties. Demelo is gone, Hainsey is a UFA, Goloubef is gone.

Zaitsev and Boro each had more PK TOI than Chabot, Rielly, Wolanin, Brannstrom, Jaros, Englund combined last year. I know the young guys played far less than a full season but at some point experience has to count for something. Zub is supposed to be solid defensively but I don’t want to put my eggs in that basket. I also don’t want to overload Chabot with PK minutes when he is more valuable at EV or on the PP. I have no faith in Brannstrom, Reilly, Wolanin or Englund partnering with Zaitsev on that first PK unit. Each of those guys has less career PK TOI than Boro had last year.

Running out 5 defensemen with little to no NHL PK experience with Zaitsev is a recipe for disaster.

Boro also has more hits than all those guys combined. I know the league is trending towards a softer approach to defense but someone has to bring sandpaper.

Aside from that, brining in a veteran like Boro or Hainsey isn’t only about increasing our chances to win now, it’s about ensuring you have an environment where you can properly develop the young guys. You need veteran players to show them how to be successful.

I’m on record saying I think we’re in for a lottery pick again next year anyways but it’s going to be even uglier if we don’t bring back Boro (or an experienced replacement).

So i agree that Boro is a good glue guy that adds physicality and can PK. I think the goal is to develop Chabot into an all situation guy so i fully expect more pk time for him. I also think PK and physicality is why we signed Zub.

The idea that without boro next year will be even uglier i think is a bit dramatic. If you had said DeMelo or even Hainsey you might have a better point, but Boro is an adequate bottom pair dman, we have Wolanin, and Zub available along with likely a more developed Brannstrom that can fill the gap.

Boro's time was done here when we traded for Reilly imo. Boro is a 31 year old physical dman, if he has much shelf life left it won't last long...

Reactions: HzH

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
It's a 6th-7th defenseman lol. Who cares.

edit: that was also pre-pandemic so the situation could have changed.

Boro seems to be a decent person. I don't value his social/political views nearly as much as the bulk of Sens Twitter and some individuals on here, but I do think he has some value as a bottom pairing defenceman on this team. He's physical, seems to be able to lead, and showed some flashes of capability last season.

But to me, that isn't the issue with Dorion's statement. Whether it's a 7th d man or a 1C, making those statements and then not following through perpetuates the Mickey Mouse nature of this team. Hell, it's actually worse in my mind to make that statement and not follow through when it's an inconsequential player; it makes it that much more unusual and bush league.

Reactions: BatherSeason

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think alot of the Boro talk has gone to Boro's head. He conducts himself like he is captain of the team, when the reality is he will always be a 6-7 at this stage. I think it is admirable what he has achieved, but he is completely replaceable and dispensable. Good guy tho

Reactions: HzH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad