Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think people's reactions to Boro leaving stem from the fact that they see a lot of themselves in him aka relatability. You see a guy like this and you can't help but imagine yourself in his place - his skillset is so limited and his role is so primitive, it makes you say "I bet I could do that". Good for him for what he's done to make it to the NHL and to have something of a career from it but this guy is so replaceable it's not even funny.

I'm thankful to him for representing the team but I'm so thrilled I don't have to watch him or his style of play anymore. On skill, he's one of the worst players we've ever had. He just tried really hard which changes our perception of him but doesn't change his value to a team.

Good luck to him in Nashville.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think people's reactions to Boro leaving stem from the fact that they see a lot of themselves in him aka relatability. You see a guy like this and you can't help but imagine yourself in his place - his skillset is so limited and his role is so primitive, it makes you say "I bet I could do that". Good for him for what he's done to make it to the NHL and to have something of a career from it but this guy is so replaceable it's not even funny.

I'm thankful to him for representing the team but I'm so thrilled I don't have to watch him or his style of play anymore. On skill, he's one of the worst players we've ever had. He just tried really hard which changes our perception of him but doesn't change his value to a team.

Good luck to him in Nashville.
What the f*** was that first paragraph

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I think people's reactions to Boro leaving stem from the fact that they see a lot of themselves in him aka relatability. You see a guy like this and you can't help but imagine yourself in his place - his skillset is so limited and his role is so primitive, it makes you say "I bet I could do that". Good for him for what he's done to make it to the NHL and to have something of a career from it but this guy is so replaceable it's not even funny
:huh:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Scary that for years before he made the improvements and adjustements he did. So many of us were called crazy for not wanting him to be playing so often. I believe saying “coaches love him. What do we know that they don’t. He brings intangibles and this and that”. Ironically (and totally expected) is those exact same posters are now saying “a guy like him is replaceable how can you be mad about losing him yada yada yada bla bla bla.

it’s like... dorion isn’t scanning these boards for a sidekick lol.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What the f*** was that first paragraph

I'm not sure what's so complicated about that statement? There are some professional athletes whose skill levels are so basic that it makes the average fan feel like they could play in their spot. Relatability is important in sports - it connects the average fan to these athletes. It's why guys like Borowiecki, with very limited skills, become fan favourites. There's a lot of guys sitting out there who watch him play and think they could do that job if they were given the chance.

Then there's the super skilled players and the average fan watches them and admires how unbelievable their talent is and how they could never in a million years do what that person does.

Hence relatability. It's really not that much of a head scratcher...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure what's so complicated about that statement? There are some professional athletes whose skill levels are so basic that it makes the average fan feel like they could play in their spot. Relatability is important in sports - it connects the average fan to these athletes. It's why guys like Borowiecki, with very limited skills, become fan favourites. There's a lot of guys sitting out there who watch him play and think they could do that job if they were given the chance.

Then there's the super skilled players and the average fan watches them and admires how unbelievable their talent is and how they could never in a million years do what that person does.

Hence relatability. It's really not that much of a head scratcher...

Well, I have a slightly different interpretation which is the sort of "Rudy" characterization.

Here's a guy that can't make the NHL based on his individual skill, but does so on the basis of his hard work, character and loyalty to his team and his teammates. He took self-improvement seriously and got better in front of our eyes. Much like Chris Neil.

I don't know if it's so much that I feel "I could be Boro", but more so that he's had to fight and scratch his way into the league and we admire that.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
here's the link for those interested,

and more

These are nice ways of putting it. Mark's to good of a person to ever state publicly what happened, but let's just say Pierre is a great scout but not great at communicating with people and doesn't like being criticized. I'm pumped for him to go to a place with a fresh slate and an opportunity to play for a playoff team.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Well, I have a slightly different interpretation which is the sort of "Rudy" characterization.

Here's a guy that can't make the NHL based on his individual skill, but does so on the basis of his hard work, character and loyalty to his team and his teammates. He took self-improvement seriously and got better in front of our eyes. Much like Chris Neil.

I don't know if it's so much that I feel "I could be Boro", but more so that he's had to fight and scratch his way into the league and we admire that.

When there are millions of dollars and family security on the line you do what you have to do. Good on Boro for extending his career and good on the Sens for realizing it wasn't a fit for the future of the organization!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad