Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
not trolling just annoyed how bad this team is and how little skill is on the roster

but i guess that makes me a troll or a bad fan

Just be a little patient. They have started with defence, goaltending, character, and culture in the NHL, with a bunch of skill developing in the AHL and College, and some high end skill to come at the draft in a few months.

Building a team isn’t as simple as drafting as much skill as you can and putting them on the ice together, as the leafs are learning.

We don’t look to be making that mistake, thankfully.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Reading so many posts over the years from Ottawa residents tearing strips off one of their own sons who made the home team has been really sad.

Crabs in a bucket...

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He's been better this season, defensively and offensively. Although I would consider the O uptick to be more luck than anything as history has shown he is not gifted in that regard. Still not good enough improvement to re-sign him though. I hope we trade him and get whatever we can get from his highest value, as there won't be space for him next year.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Boro is a barely above replacement-level player with inflated totals this season whose importance has been overstated due to his media presence and volubility.
Trade him quickly and replace internally. By no means should he be given an extension.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What Boro is doing right now isn't any different than what Pageau was doing at the beginning of the season. Both guys are what they are at this point in their careers. Both guys are also having career offensive seasons as pending free agents. The same people who wanted to sell high on JGP should also be excited at the possibility of moving on from Boro at his peak value.

I keep flip flopping on whether or not I want both guys signed, there's certainly an argument to be made in either case. Assuming someone is paying for "new Boro" though I think the time to move him is right now (like, today, don't wait until the deadline).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Selling high on Boro might mean a 3rd. I'm ok with keeping him as a 6/7 (at an appropriate price) rather than getting a 3rd.

To me, we should try and re-sign him short term for a modest raise and if he's not interested we move on.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think our D next year will be vastly improved

Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Zaitsev
Are definites and a more mature Brannstrom plus Wolanin improves things

Then it starts to get a bit dicey depth wise

Weve got Reilly signed.

Jaros
Lajoie
But DJ doesnt seem enamoured with either

Thomson and JBD are at earliest 2021 candidates

I think we need to keep one or both Boro and DeMelo. Boro for 2, DeMelo for 3 us my preference

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think our D next year will be vastly improved

Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Zaitsev
Are definites and a more mature Brannstrom plus Wolanin improves things

Then it starts to get a bit dicey depth wise

Weve got Reilly signed.

Jaros
Lajoie
But DJ doesnt seem enamoured with either

Thomson and JBD are at earliest 2021 candidates

I think we need to keep one or both Boro and DeMelo. Boro for 2, DeMelo for 3 us my preference
The right side is looking mighty weak especially if Thomson and JBD aren't ready next year.

I disagree on Zaitsev, he has been pretty awful. Just Cody Ceci with a different number and a much, much longer contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The right side is looking mighty weak especially if Thomson and JBD aren't ready next year.

I disagree on Zaitsev, he has been pretty awful. Just Cody Ceci with a different number and a much, much longer contract.

The easy answer would be to play Brannstrom on the right side where he prefers to play and looks much more comfortable... then you have Chabot and Wolanin on the left, Brannstrom and Zaitsev on the right. Still leaves a sad bottom pair but more balanced.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The easy answer would be to play Brannstrom on the right side where he prefers to play and looks much more comfortable... then you have Chabot and Wolanin on the left, Brannstrom and Zaitsev on the right. Still leaves a sad bottom pair but more balanced.
Absolutely, but this org seems to want nothing to do with Brann on the right.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Neither Thomson or JBD will be ready without AHL time imo

Zaitsev is similar to Tierney. A player we acquired in a trade that was panned therefore the player must be criticized.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A player we acquired in a trade that was panned therefore the player must be criticized.
This isn't an example of being "panned", I have given Zaitsev close to 60 games to see what we got, and unfortunately, he has failed the eye test and I am pretty sure the fancy stats can back this up.

Reactions: Ed Wood

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Zaitsev is similar to Tierney. A player we acquired in a trade that was panned therefore the player must be criticized.

Or it's possible that not everything is some big conspiracy and those two are simply deserving of criticism given their overall games.

Nobody is panning Demelo, Norris, Balcers, Thomson, Abramov, ect. If anything those guys are some of the players who get the most credit in the org (thinking specifically of Demelo and Norris here).

Most of us don't need any ulterior motives to dislike what CT and NZ bring the table, we simply don't think they are good players and/or don't think the players contribute positively to the team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think you are right about JBD and Thomson, but Zaitsev was criticized pretty much HF wide before the trade. Also, Brown was acquired in the same trade as Zaitsev, and not too many people if any criticize him. Same could be said for DeMelo wrt Tierney. Maybe people just don't like those players and it's not some ingrained bias to hate on everything Dorion does.

edit: heck, we've even seen the vast majority of fans change their opionion of Norris (and for that matter DeMelo) based on their play. If it were just some form of bias, would we see that?

Reactions: DrEasy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Selling high on Boro might mean a 3rd. I'm ok with keeping him as a 6/7 (at an appropriate price) rather than getting a 3rd.

To me, we should try and re-sign him short term for a modest raise and if he's not interested we move on.

Boro may fetch a 2nd - depth defenceman with experience who hits like a truck and blocks shots with his face. A typical, Canadian playoff hockey player with intangibles (self-motivated, leadership). Has 7 goals and counting and has a low cap hit.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boro may fetch a 2nd - depth defenceman with experience who hits like a truck and blocks shots with his face. A typical, Canadian playoff hockey player with intangibles (self-motivated, leadership). Has 7 goals and counting and has a low cap hit.

I mean, anything is possible, I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong (assuming we trade him).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Different era, but the Sens gave up a 2nd for Andy Sutton who (while bigger) was in the same mold as Boro.

I tend to side with those who think the return will be in the 3rd/4th+ range, but there's a reason the deadline is referred to as "silly season". I'm certainly not ruling out any of JGP/DD/MB/RH returning more than your average fan think they will.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Boro should be traded regardless of the return. There is no room for the guy going forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think you are right about JBD and Thomson, but Zaitsev was criticized pretty much HF wide before the trade. Also, Brown was acquired in the same trade as Zaitsev, and not too many people if any criticize him. Same could be said for DeMelo wrt Tierney. Maybe people just don't like those players and it's not some ingrained bias to hate on everything Dorion does.

edit: heck, we've even seen the vast majority of fans change their opionion of Norris (and for that matter DeMelo) based on their play. If it were just some form of bias, would we see that?

Certainly many have changed their opinions. I agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad