Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I am pretty sure Boro and PD have decent relationship. I am also pretty sure PD is fine one on one, vs how he is on camera.

I feel that you are reaching or trying to make something more out of nothing.
Thus the sarcasm emoji. In all seriousness I find it hard to believe that PD and Boro had a conversation about the deadline without actually discussing what Boro would be interesting in knowing. Just seems strange to me.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's really the only team in the league he can play such a big part in. Any other team and he's a regular healthy scratch.

Here, he's the coaches, GMs, and owners fave player. Rolls with an A, has his face plastered on the arena. Refererd to as a foundational player by the owner.

He could realistically become a captain for this team with the way they operate.
I really hope not.

If they want to re-sign him fine whatever, I never liked him much as a player outside of his debut year but I can understand wanting to sign him but don't give him the C.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Thus the sarcasm emoji. In all seriousness I find it hard to believe that PD and Boro had a conversation about the deadline without actually discussing what Boro would be interesting in knowing. Just seems strange to me.

I would think Boro said “please don’t trade me”

I would think Boro’s agent said “show me the money!!!”

I would think PD said “we would like Boro to stick around, if the we can make a deal. Talk to you later”

Outcome - home town discount

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I can't imagine Dorion not signing Boro to some crazy contract. Melnyk will want to keep his sycophant, will probably be willing to pay more than normal and Boro doesn't wanna be traded to a contender and have to destroy himself in a playoff series before free agency. They'll find a middle ground and he'll continue to bleed goals against as an Ottawa Senator and look like his career has been ended by on injury every other game.

Dorion, Melnyk and Boro all deserve each other. This is the way.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it could go either way with Boro depending on what other teams might offer for a playoff warrior like Boro. IMO if they don't get at least a 3rd for him, they should seriously consider re-signing him for 2 or 3 yrs as a mentor to the younger players as Hainsey has done. If they also decide to give him the C, I would be fine with that too. I would much rather have a super hero warrior wolf wearing the C than some puny soft little sheep who can't defend himself.

Reactions: Variable26

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I think it could go either way with Boro depending on what other teams might offer for a playoff warrior like Boro. IMO if they don't get at least a 3rd for him, they should seriously consider re-signing him for 2 or 3 yrs as a mentor to the younger players as Hainsey has done. If they also decide to give him the C, I would be fine with that too. I would much rather have a super hero warrior wolf wearing the C than some puny soft little sheep who can't defend himself.

I wonder if Boro could pull off more than two years at anywhere near this season’s level. I would be trying for two max.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if Boro could pull off more than two years at anywhere near this season’s level. I would be trying for two max.
Yea, it's hard to know when his body will start giving out on him, but in two yrs this team should start challenging for a playoff spot & he will likely be scratched more often than not. It's the mentoring of younger players that would be the biggest reason to keep him around & to pay him.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Some Senators trying not get caught up in deadline distraction, but it’s tough

Brucey calling his shot, saying executives around the league believe a two year extension is coming.

Is this Boo Boo shifting some of the pressure onto Boro's camp or do "league executives" know that much detail about contract negotiations that haven't happened yet? Especially strange that other league executives know so much when we have heard multiple times about how the Sens are trying to keep a lid on things to avoid a circus. Guess the lid isn't all that tight.

Not even really trying to start a debate here, just thought that paragraph was a tad strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Some Senators trying not get caught up in deadline distraction, but it’s tough

Brucey calling his shot, saying executives around the league believe a two year extension is coming.

Is this Boo Boo shifting some of the pressure onto Boro's camp or do "league executives" know that much detail about contract negotiations that haven't happened yet? Especially strange that other league executives know so much when we have heard multiple times about how the Sens are trying to keep a lid on things to avoid a circus. Guess the lid isn't all that tight.

Not even really trying to start a debate here, just thought that paragraph was a tad strange.

I can guarantee other teams would have interest in signing him in the offseason. Think of other young teams that could use a leader in the room and have cap space to play with, or teams looking for a physical presence who's reliable and can play 15 minutes a night on your 3rd pair. Especially if his production continues until the end of the season a guy with 25pts, top 5 in hits and top 10 in blocked shots will definitely be sought after.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I wouldn't be upset if they signed Boro to 2-3 more years as I've always liked him as a warrior on the backend. But if you hated him before this year, nothing he has done this year should really sway your opinion. Like 90% of UFAs to be, they are working their hardest in the contract year to get the most money possible. I hope he can get a nice deal in Ottawa or whatever, but his stats this season are outliers for sure.
This.

He has won many posters over here, but let's be real here. Does anyone expect Boro to have this type of season next year? If the answer is no, then he gets a 2 x 2 deal, or trade him. If this is something to drive ticket sales, which Ottawa fans, many and not saying anyone here, are gullible, than he may very well get a 3 yr or more contract.

I think he and Pageau will be passed in short order with what is coming from Belleville, and the Senators have to mindful of that. I won't be heartbroken if they both stay, and also the same if they both get moved. This is a rebuild, and the finished product will be done and they will both be far removed from their best seasons when that happens

Reactions: DrEasy and HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Boro is playing a good PR game. Two years ago fans couldn't wait to get rid of him esp under Boucher now we have people feeling bad or willing to resign him. Even the media is ball washing him (though there isn't much to talk about in Sensland this year)

Reactions: InAbsensia

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Boro is playing a good PR game. Two years ago fans couldn't wait to get rid of him esp under Boucher now we have people feeling bad or willing to resign him. Even the media is ball washing him (though there isn't much to talk about in Sensland this year)
Maybe Boro is playing it completely differently than we are assuming.

Maybe everyone, including the Sens, think that he will re-sign here for cheap and its a done deal just because he is from the city, thus the no negotiations and the "contracts can get done quickly" quotes. BUT maybe Boro, as quoted, is actually looking out for his family and won't accept PooGene's low-ball offer because he wants to "look out for his family" by getting more term and more money as a UFA. This is the NHL, a league where character and grit are sought after just as much as skill, he will get a nice offer from someone.

Reactions: philb613

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Maybe Boro is playing it completely differently than we are assuming.

Maybe everyone, including the Sens, think that he will re-sign here for cheap and its a done deal just because he is from the city, thus the no negotiations and the "contracts can get done quickly" quotes. BUT maybe Boro, as quoted, is actually looking out for his family and won't accept PooGene's low-ball offer because he wants to "look out for his family" by getting more term and more money as a UFA. This is the NHL, a league where character and grit are sought after just as much as skill, he will get a nice offer from someone.

Sure...

Senators' Mark Borowiecki continues heroics for hometown team - Sportsnet.ca

Watching Borowiecki endure all, bounce back, prevail, were 25 scouts in the Buffalo press box. If they didn’t know yet what Borowiecki was all about, that final scene would have sold them on the value of this unrestricted free agent as the trade deadline approaches.

Fans in Ottawa who, for a time, didn’t fully appreciate the intangibles of Borowiecki, would expect no less than him sacrificing his body with the game on the line — regardless of the Senators’ low league rank.

“It’s just the way you’re wired, it’s not really a conscious thing,” Borowiecki said. “Off the ice I’m a pretty tame guy, but you go out there and a switch flips. You’re just a competitor, you’re playing instinctively and not really thinking about it. It doesn’t matter what place our team is or where we are in terms of a rebuild, it’s just the way I’m going to play and what I’m going to bring. It’s a point of pride.”

Senators head coach D.J. Smith was once a tough player himself, but when he’s asked if he’s ever seen anyone as tough as Borowiecki, he answers swiftly.

“No,” Smith said. “I mean, he’s mentally tough, physically tough. He conditions himself harder than anyone else. And when you train harder than everyone else, I think you have an edge on everybody. Mentally, you know you can go the extra distance. You know you’re maybe more prepared than other people. I haven’t seen many guys in hockey that work as hard as he does before and after [a game]. He takes care of himself. And when you have a guy playing that hard, the guys on the bench notice.

“We have a lot of fearless guys but he certainly leads the way.”

In his own mind, Borowiecki was such an afterthought for the 2008 draft, he didn’t bother to attend. And the event was being held in Kanata, Ont. — a small suburb outside Ottawa — where he grew up and has lived his entire life.

Last edited:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
A year ago I would have predicted that Boro would be out of the league when his contract expires at the end of this season. Now it looks like he's going to get paid for at least two more years and maybe longer. Good for him. He really has stepped up his game.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sign Boro for two yrs & put the C on his chest which he has earned the hard way, taking no short cuts. The guy is a super hero & warrior for this team & exactly the kind of leader this team needs along with Tkachuk.

Reactions: little BiG

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sign Boro for two yrs & put the C on his chest which he has earned the hard way, taking no short cuts. The guy is a super hero & warrior for this team & exactly the kind of leader this team needs along with Tkachuk.

mate the team is shit and these two get outskilled every shift

little BiG

Dec 6, 2018
Boro is not the type of player that "drives ticket sales".
I pay to see him. I like him even more than Volchenkov.

He is a real leader, a gentleman, not pretentious. Maybe character doesnt score you goals but it sure sets the tone for the team. The Sens youth benefits from this model and I think it helps to keep them grounded.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Incorrect. When was the last time you watched a game? He is doing fine.

I figure this post is just your typical trolling for an angry response... well here is mine!

not trolling just annoyed how bad this team is and how little skill is on the roster

but i guess that makes me a troll or a bad fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad