Confirmed with Link: Mark Stone to VGK

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ok so players that dont win major awards are no good is that the garbage argument you are trying to make? Really not sure why I bother responding to this poster.

Joe Thornton hasn't won anything yet then as well, I'd assume by his point

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
How much more could we have got for Karlsson at the TDL in 2017-18?
How much more could we have got for Stone once he would only sign a 1 year extension last summer?
Stone would have garnered less before the season. He had a breakout season this year, and yet GMs passed on him. He never got the credit he always deserved. We appreciated him and no one else. He should have won the Calder, the Selke ( at least once). He could barely make it into the top 5 of Selke voting. Now that he is in an American market, he will get the credit he always deserved.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
Ok so players that dont win major awards are no good is that the garbage argument you are trying to make? Really not sure why I bother responding to this poster.
Read the branch carefully. I answered the question "Did he[Brannstrom] won the Calder or Norris yet?"

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Stone would have garnered less before the season. He had a breakout season this year, and yet GMs passed on him. He never got the credit he always deserved. We appreciated him and no one else. He should have won the Calder, the Selke ( at least once). He could barely make it into the top 5 of Selke voting. Now that he is in an American market, he will get the credit he always deserved.

Doesn't hurt that he's having his marquee playoffs this time around after a couple of less than stellar runs with the Sens. We'd be naive to think a move to an American market (that American market specifically) hasn't impacted how he's viewed league wide though.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
How much more could we have got for Karlsson at the TDL in 2017-18?
How much more could we have got for Stone once he would only sign a 1 year extension last summer?

Karl offers were apparently very soft last TDL but it might have been hurt by our inclusion of Ryan in the deal with Vegas.

I forgot which insider it was (Friedman, McKenzie, Lebrun) but apparently the return from VGK with Ryan was less than what we got from San Jose.

Uncertainty around Karlsson's injury, the lack of extension, and I assume Dorion's lack of tact, (making it so obvious be was moving him, Gretzky traded) probably nuked the return value.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

What are Duchene and Turris both doing in that photo though? :laugh:

But yeah, it's crazy the amount of talent the Sens have developed. Only Alfie stayed his whole career with the Sens (minus his last year) and Spezza the vast majority of his prime (minus 2-3 seasons) before becoming a cap anchor.

Trading Turris was probably the right call, but the Duchene as well and the 4 other guys makes no sense unless you can't financially compete with this league (which is the case). Montreal Expos of hockey.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
After seeing the performance Stone is putting up right now, I bet Jets would be willing to send Roslovic, Niku, and a 1st. That's hilarious. I love it.

No they wouldn’t Stone didn’t want to sign with them and no way anyone pays that for a rental.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
What are Duchene and Turris both doing in that photo though? :laugh:

But yeah, it's crazy the amount of talent the Sens have developed. Only Alfie stayed his whole career with the Sens (minus his last year) and Spezza the vast majority of his prime (minus 2-3 seasons) before becoming a cap anchor.

Trading Turris was probably the right call, but the Duchene as well and the 4 other guys makes no sense unless you can't financially compete with this league (which is the case). Montreal Expos of hockey.

Duchene shouldn't really be in that picture. The big difference between Duchene is that we acquired him, where as we developed the rest of those guys (even know we didn't draft Turris, we still developed him). If anything, he would be an example of what Foley is saying but for COL. (Although, it worked out great for them....but it usually doesn't work out that well.)

Moving on from Turris at this point has clearly been established as the right call.

Dzingel is a very good player, but should not be up there with Spezza, Stone, Alfie, Karl, etc.

Hoffman is a tier or two below the rest of the guys in that picture as well...but not as out of place as Dzingel+Turris. I actually like Dzingel better as a player, but Hoffman is more valuable until Dzingel proves he's a legitimate 20/50-60 guy long term.

Reactions: Xspyrit

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Did we as fans underrate the possibility of Karlsson/Stone/Duchene/Chabot/Tkachuk as a core 5?

I really hope that Karlsson was actually a huge dick who only cared about his hair and instagram, or that the Sens knew something about the physical condition of his foot, because I look at that potential core, and if an owner was willing to spend, that looks like a pretty damn good top end of a lineup. It's difficult watching guys like Stone kill it in the playoffs, and consider the core we moved on from otherwise. It's not Tampa Bay, but that's a team that with the right drafting should have been able to be in it year after year for the next 5 or so years.

I don't think we can really use the "we have to be Tampa with Kuch/Stamkos/Point/Hedman/etc/etc" as a metric because it is nearly impossible to build that good of a team. So I look at what our potential core could have been, and man I sure hope Brannstrom knows how to be a good girlfriend here because we moved on from a potential great core.

Reactions: aragorn

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Did we as fans underrate the possibility of Karlsson/Stone/Duchene/Chabot/Tkachuk as a core 5?

I really hope that Karlsson was actually a huge dick who only cared about his hair and instagram, or that the Sens knew something about the physical condition of his foot, because I look at that potential core, and if an owner was willing to spend, that looks like a pretty damn good top end of a lineup. It's difficult watching guys like Stone kill it in the playoffs, and consider the core we moved on from otherwise. It's not Tampa Bay, but that's a team that with the right drafting should have been able to be in it year after year for the next 5 or so years.

I don't think we can really use the "we have to be Tampa with Kuch/Stamkos/Point/Hedman/etc/etc" as a metric because it is nearly impossible to build that good of a team. So I look at what our potential core could have been, and man I sure hope Brannstrom knows how to be a good girlfriend here because we moved on from a potential great core.

My signature was ‘2018/2019 worst to first’ for the longest time. We had the building blocks of a perennial contender. Maybe our window would have only been three or four years but everything you’d need or want was there.

We blew it up because we didn’t want to spend the money. It hurts a lot.

This feels like Alfredsson/Chara all over again - except this tone we lost both.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't hurt that he's having his marquee playoffs this time around after a couple of less than stellar runs with the Sens. We'd be naive to think a move to an American market (that American market specifically) hasn't impacted how he's viewed league wide though.
He had a broken wrist and a torn miniscus the two playoff runs the sens had. He is finally healthy. Hilarious when a sens fan shits on his previous playoffs.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What I find interesting is that Mark Stone is the exact opposite to what people tell me on here all the time the NHL is trending towards smaller, faster skilled players & yet the complete opposite kind of player is leading the NHL playoffs in scoring. I'm also enjoying watching Columbus dismantle a very soft regular season Tampa team that doesn't seem have the ability to fight back. And I hope that Boston continues to beat the crap out of the Leafs & knocks their small soft skilled smug Babcock team out of the playoffs early.

Also happy to see the NYI winning without Tavares & the Islanders taking it physically to Pitt, hope that continues as well. With the only exception being Winn losing to ST Louis I'm enjoying these playoffs so far. These playoffs are another example of regular season meaning next to nothing & the playoffs being a very different style of play from the regular season, when it becomes a much tougher & rougher style of play. Some can handle it & some can't, it separates the pretenders from the contenders.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He had a broken wrist and a torn miniscus the two playoff runs the sens had. He is finally healthy. Hilarious when a sens fan ****s on his previous playoffs.

What part of "he's having his marquee playoffs" is crapping on him? They were less than stellar (primarily) because of injuries, but the fact still remains that they were down statistically from his regular season play.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why does it seem like some of you are just now realizing what we lost in Stone?

Sens fans are a mixed bag of stages in the Kubler-Ross model. Some are stuck in Stage 1, while others were already at Stage 5 before he even actually got traded.

It's reasonable to assume there's a few fans still stuck in Stage 1.

8.Five-Stages-of-Grief.jpg

Reactions: Variable26

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What I find interesting is that Mark Stone is the exact opposite to what people tell me on here all the time the NHL is trending towards smaller, faster skilled players & yet the complete opposite kind of player is leading the NHL playoffs in scoring. I'm also enjoying watching Columbus dismantle a very soft regular season Tampa team that doesn't seem have the ability to fight back. And I hope that Boston continues to beat the crap out of the Leafs & knocks their small soft skilled smug Babcock team out of the playoffs early.

Also happy to see the NYI winning without Tavares & the Islanders taking it physically to Pitt, hope that continues as well. With the only exception being Winn losing to ST Louis I'm enjoying these playoffs so far. These playoffs are another example of regular season meaning next to nothing & the playoffs being a very different style of play from the regular season, when it becomes a much tougher & rougher style of play. Some can handle it & some can't, it separates the pretenders from the contenders.

Mark Stone isn't slow but you're right he's not fast either. The league is trending towards smarts and skill and he has both in abundance.

As for this trade... still really sucks. Now that Mark Stone is in the Western conference and not in a Canadian market (especially Ottawa sandwiched between Toronto-Montreal) he's going to be praised like this going forward. This won't be a trade about him and forget about him. This is like OEL in Arizona except Stone is legit. Every year his name is going to come up contending for something.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What part of "he's having his marquee playoffs" is crapping on him? They were less than stellar (primarily) because of injuries, but the fact still remains that they were down statistically from his regular season play.

Yeah because he was hurt, he was on crutches in 2017 going to the rink. The fact he even played was miraculous, they were poor because he could barely move holding it against him suggesting he isnt a clutch player like many did around here isnt right. Most players dont even play with those injuries. Down the stretch during the hamburlger run he was the best player on the team, it wasnt until Subban slashed him that he slowed down.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Unfortunately the systematic destruction of the Eugene Melnyk Senators continues, slowly, piece by piece - it has to stop! #MELNYKOUT

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
“This is why I came here, I want to play playoff hockey. A 6-3 win in this building is better than anything I’ve ever experienced.”

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
“This is why I came here, I want to play playoff hockey. A 6-3 win in this building is better than anything I’ve ever experienced.”

I don't think this was meant as a scud missile directed at the Sens org specifically (I think the guy is just excited to be where he is right now), but I certainly don't blame Sens fans for feeling reeeeeeal bad about the context this quote was made in.

... Because yeah, that's feels like a dagger. It might not have been an overt shot at Sens management, but it sure as hell tells volumes about his opinion of the management here.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

That core could have been phenomenal. It doesn't have the skill TB's does, but honestly that core looks more suited for playoff hockey. Brady and Stone are bulldogs, and don't seem phased by anything. EK (when healthy) is a proven playoff performer and leader, and Duchene is showing he can be big in the playoffs in CBJ.

It's insane to see Tampa fold like a cheap suit after that game 1 loss. They are just so mentally fragile. Have you ever seen anyone of them show the intensity Stone does when he scores?

It's a very sad case of what could have been. You could have locked up that core, and cut off everything else that was useless. New coaches, new complimentary players, new culture. Commitment from ownership, and a hard reset (fire coaches, fire GM) after the garbage year that was 2017 was all the team needed imo, instead they got the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad