Confirmed with Link: Mark Stone to VGK

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lol ,well they certainly wont have much money this upcoming season,and they can cry,blame and make angry faces all they want but the fans have spoken....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
these players stuck around under EM did they not? Could be the cap has outgrown the market and unless they find away to fix the issue between the haves and the have nots it’s only going to get worse.
How many summers has Karlsson spent since the trade? And what’s the weather like compared to winter?
The cap outgrowing the market doesn't hold up when the increases in tv contract revenues for this team have outpaced the increase in the cap. Since 2011 when the cap was abot 20 mil lower that it is today our tv revenue has exploded, CBC was paying about 100 mil a year to the NHL while Rogers signed a deal that started at 300 and escalates to 500 per year. NBC's extention in 2011 also tripled its fee to the league, and the sens regipal deal with TSN went from 200k a game (roughly 10 mil CAD a season) to an escalating deal that would average over 30 mil a season. Even taking into account differences in the Rate of exchange were lookong at roughly a 25 mil increase in tv revenue to offset a 20 mil increase in the cap.

Reactions: DrEasy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If there's no money to sign players, then why is the team telling the fans that the priority is to sign the players?

Signing Karlsson was a priority, then it didn't happen. Signing Stone was a priority, then it didn't happen. Signing Duchene was a prioriry, then it didn't happen.

I am hardly going to blame the fans for being angry that this team promises whatever they think the fans want to hear to sell tickets with one hand, and does the complete opposite with the other.

If anything, that kind of bipolar messaging from the team, and the resulting fatigue of those unfulfilled talking points, is a big part of the reason why the building is as empty as it is lately.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol ,well they certainly wont have much money this upcoming season,and they can cry,blame and make angry faces all they want but the fans have spoken....

Yes it’s super lol when it causes them to be unable to pay anyone. The only ones crying will be the fans.
The owners are not making billions and stealing it all away, the money generated supports the players and not much else.
But hey be proud and think it’s funny then follow it up with laying the blame on someone else.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The cap outgrowing the market doesn't hold up when the increases in tv contract revenues for this team have outpaced the increase in the cap. Since 2011 when the cap was abot 20 mil lower that it is today our tv revenue has exploded, CBC was paying about 100 mil a year to the NHL while Rogers signed a deal that started at 300 and escalates to 500 per year. NBC's extention in 2011 also tripled its fee to the league, and the sens regipal deal with TSN went from 200k a game (roughly 10 mil CAD a season) to an escalating deal that would average over 30 mil a season. Even taking into account differences in the Rate of exchange were lookong at roughly a 25 mil increase in tv revenue to offset a 20 mil increase in the cap.

Where do you think all the teams debt came from? For years the team hasn’t payed for itself, the debt has probably reached a point where the lenders will say no if it gets any higher so we are stuck with the team having to pay for itself, real life problems

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yes it’s super lol when it causes them to be unable to pay anyone. The only ones crying will be the fans.
The owners are not making billions and stealing it all away, the money generated supports the players and not much else.
But hey be proud and think it’s funny then follow it up with laying the blame on someone else.

Yea exactly, we all know that businesses going cheap and blaming clients will attract more clients.

It's like if I owned a restaurant and I told you I'll sell you nachos for 40$ and then when I've made enough money I'll sell you steaks for the same price.

Guess what? People wont buy nachos for 40$.

Offer them a steak and they'll come. Hockey is entertainment. If you don't offer an entertaining product you'll lose fans. Don't keep the players fans want to see and you'll lose fans. Take off the most attracting items off the menu and nobody will come to your restaurant.

In what kind of twisted universe do you live? To have people come to your business you need to offer something worth paying the price. It's not to the fans to pay for a shitty product so that *maybe* the owner will spend in a couple years and then finally offer a good product. People in life pay when they feel it's worth their money, clearly this is not. To make money you have to SPEND MONEY.

I'm not buying a ford pinto even though I know it's a piece of shit just because Ford could use my money to make a better and improved Pinto model jesus f***ing christ. Make a better model that doesn't blow up and I'll gladly f***in pay for it.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yea exactly, we all know that businesses going cheap and blaming clients will attract more clients.

It's like if I owned a restaurant and I told you I'll sell you nachos for 40$ and then when I've made enough money I'll sell you steaks for the same price.

Guess what? People wont buy nachos for 40$.

Offer them a steak and they'll come. Hockey is entertainment. If you don't offer an entertaining product you'll lose fans. Don't keep the players fans want to see and you'll lose fans. Take off the most attracting items off the menu and nobody will come to your restaurant.

In what kind of twisted universe do you live? To have people come to your business you need to offer something worth paying the price. It's not to the fans to pay for a ****ty product so that *maybe* the owner will spend in a couple years and then finally offer a good product. People in life pay when they feel it's worth their money, clearly this is not. To make money you have to SPEND MONEY.

I'm not buying a ford pinto even though I know it's a piece of **** just because Ford could use my money to make a better and improved Pinto model jesus ****ing christ. Make a better model that doesn't blow up and I'll gladly ****in pay for it.

And if you can’t afford the better car you won’t pay for it now will you? Just like the sens can’t afford better players.
What kind of universe do you live in where money falls out of thin air and you get to demand someone else looses millions for your entertainment?
Don’t support the team, don’t support paying anyone,it’s your choice but acting surprised that a team that no one will support isn’t spending money hand over first is not at all logical.
And all I hear is if it’s not the bestest I’m not paying they are called fair weather fans and to find a team in Canada that can’t sell tickets unless they are the best says all that needs to be said about this ‘hockey market’

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why are people still arguing with a poster whose response to evidence in a debate is to say "I don't care what you say, I'm right and you're wrong"?

Stop wasting your life arguing with people who flatly refuse to even read the posts you're submitting to the debate. I guarantee your time is better spent doing literally anything else.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Why are people still arguing with a poster whose response to evidence in a debate is to say "I don't care what you say, I'm right and you're wrong"?

Stop wasting your life arguing with people who flatly refuse to even read the posts you're submitting to the debate. I guarantee your time is better spent doing literally anything else.
I also think this argument has been beaten to death no matter which "side" you are on (if any).

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Why are you sitting here telling people not to speak to others?
Super lame internet bully I suspect.
And yes I said “I don’t care what you say you do not speak for the CAF”. Thats on you not me, unless you want to double down on how you do again.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I think supersens hits the nail on the head. If we don't support the team through the good and bad, we will remain a feeder team for the rest of the league. Look at the attendance of the Expos. They averaged 15,000 and consequently couldn't keep their players.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think supersens hits the nail on the head. If we don't support the team through the good and bad, we will remain a feeder team for the rest of the league. Look at the attendance of the Expos. They averaged 15,000 and consequently couldn't keep their players.
Leave the gaslighting for another place, please. The sharp decline in attendance happened after the outdoor game comments last season, when the idea of blowing it all up was first floated. Not before. The penny-pinching caused the drop in attendance, not the other way around.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Leave the gaslighting for another place, please. The sharp decline in attendance happened after the outdoor game comments last season, when the idea of blowing it all up was first floated. Not before. The penny-pinching caused the drop in attendance, not the other way around.

And the penny pinching is caused by the markets inability to support anything else.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It started on a small scale with the Phoenix GoC pay issues that had most public servants thinking twice about non-essential purchases (even those who weren't affected got into a "it might be me next" mentality).

It ramped into hyper-ludicrous speed after that insane outdoor game interview though, that's for sure. Anyone who thought that those comments were a good idea clearly doesn't understand the history of pro sports in Ottawa.

Reactions: Slack

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Melnyk should sell the team. Plain and simple. He and Dorion have turned the Ottawa Senators into the door mat of the league. Fans identify with their team and others identify them with their team. What has gone on the past 2 years has driven fans away. Many are embarrassed to call themselves Sens fans. These clowns have to go. Dorion can get on whatever media outlet he wants and pump their tires on how they will be this and that in just a couple of years .. I don't see it.. I am sure I am very far from being alone on that. These guys have screwed this team badly. Supporting them to keep doing it doesn't make sense. Its like if you give your kid money and they lose it and then you give them some more and they lose it again .. well pretty soon you are going to stop giving it to them.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Look at the attendance of the Expos. They averaged 15,000 and consequently couldn't keep their players.

As a former Expos diehard, this explanation conveniently ignores the decades of mismanagement of that franchise as a major factor for fan disengagement, as well as significant TV rights issues and television contract shortfalls that have largely been forgotten.

"Why the Expos moved" is a massively complex story deserving of more than a one-sentence brushoff eulogy. I mean, there's a reason that "Jeffrey Loria" is a swear word in two MLB cities, and that doesn't even scratch the surface of MLB in Montreal.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Dorion can get on whatever media outlet he wants and pump their tires on how they will be this and that in just a couple of years .. I don't see it.. I am sure I very far from being alone on that.
How can you not see it though?

Our superstar prospects that couldn't even make the Calder playoffs are going to push us into unparalleled success!

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

Disagree I've been unhappy with them as a former season seat holder since game 3 against pittsburgh when we went to OT and greening scored to win.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why are you sitting here telling people not to speak to others?
Super lame internet bully I suspect.
And yes I said “I don’t care what you say you do not speak for the CAF”. Thats on you not me, unless you want to double down on how you do again.

It's a shame that you never actually read any of my posts in that thread before the whole discussion got nuked.

I'm not even angry at you or anything. I just feel sadness that this is how you experience life.

I think that anyone who knows me around here, and my long history on HFSens, knows that I value good, honest discourse more than winning or losing a debate. Make a sound argument, and I'll respect the hell out of it even if I don't personally agree with it. I'm happy with my end of things. I've moved on.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How can you not see it though?

Our superstar prospects that couldn't even make the Calder playoffs are going to push us into unparalleled success!

That's a different matter. Hockey is still a team sport. You can have 3 or 4 above average prospects that can eventually make your team and make an impact but if they are surrounded by a lot more average to below average players .. well you are not going to be successful. against the better teams. They were one win away from comments like these not being made.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
That's a different matter. Hockey is still a team sport. You can have 3 or 4 above average prospects that can eventually make your team and make an impact but if they are surrounded by a lot more average to below average players .. well you are not going to be successful. against the better teams. They were one win away from comments like these not being made.

Mmm idk are we even one win out of 31st?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Disagree I've been unhappy with them as a former season seat holder since game 3 against pittsburgh when we went to OT and greening scored to win.
I mean, that's your prerogative? I've been unhappy since Melnyk came out on Twitter in support of Bill O'Reilly. But if you re-read my post, I specifically mention the "sharp decline". One or two people having issues with the organization does not a sharp decline make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad