McKenzie: Mark Stone Mega-Thread Pt. 2 - Jets pursuing Stone, Ottawa working on contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If the rental cost on Stone is too high I would have zero interest in him and the Jets would benefit more from multi smaller cheaper moves both in the long run & potentially short run. If Stone is signed (unlikely) that changes his return (increases it).

What's too much? Is Mason Appleton too much?

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Let's face it after Tavares last year more and more will go to FA to test the market. Knowing that, teams will be very hesitant to give up too much value for potentially less than 2 months of hockey in a player

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Let's recap the sellers that want a 1st and buyers who might offer a 1st...

Sellers:

Sens
Stone (1st, or two)
Duchene (1st)
Dzingel (1st?)

CBJ
Panarin (1st)

Rangers
Hayes (1st)
Kreider? (1st)

Flyers
Simmonds (1st)

Wild
Staal? (1st)

Wings
Nyquist (1st?)

Buyers

Jets (1st)

Flames (1st)

Vegas (1st)

Preds (1st)

Bruins (1st)

Bolts (no 2019 1st)

Sharks (no 2019 1st)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Problem for the Jets is if we are extending Stone beyond rental status, we need some cap freed up, and to do that we need to move ELC kids up and higher paid guys out.
Vesalainen would fill a role on the wing in place of Connor/Ehlers.
Roslovic, hopefully, replaces Little at 2C.
Niku replaces Kulikov on the LD.
Jets don’t want a rental Stone, so the money guys, right now, are working over time crunching figures.
But, ultimately, Chevy will need to talk to Stone prior to any trade, to gauge interest in him re-signing. If he’s not interested, this all becomes moot and the Jets move on to Duchene/Panarin/Simmonds/etc...
the Jets don't need to make cap moves right now, they have enough cap to fit Stone adequately this year. Any cap moves will be made in the off-season. They will go into the POs with Connor/Ehlers/Laine/Stone. Everything involving the cap is a question mark until Trouba is figured out too

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
the Jets don't need to make cap moves right now, they have enough cap to fit Stone adequately this year. Any cap moves will be made in the off-season. They will go into the POs with Connor/Ehlers/Laine/Stone. Everything involving the cap is a question mark until Trouba is figured out too
My point, which is apparently lost, is that we can’t trade our ELC guys if we will need them to step up to replace guys being moved out to free up cap.

I’d do 1st+Appleton+

Last edited:
Reactions: robertocarlos

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Still doesn't make sense. Petan value is 0. Comrie is a mediocre goalie prospect, so while he has potential his trade value is low also.

If it's our 1st and Petan + Comrie, what B prospect are we adding to that because neither of those guys qualify?
I would stick pretty close to our supposed original offer of a max of our 1st, Petan, Stanley. That's it. Unless they would prefer whatever other selection of B type prospects to go with our 1st.

Reactions: Jets

Bond

May 10, 2012
I bet all the roster players on the buying teams are basically the below:

giphy.gif

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sens should have traded Duchene and Stone last year when they had term.
They have a couple days to get as much as they can for 2 rentals.

Ottawa fans more than likely will be very disappointed with the return they get and they can thank their gm for that.

Reactions: Snowman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we might need to combine the Duchene and Stone threads after this one... :sarcasm:

f*** it... Habs go get both Duchene and Stone with extensions for them both. Sens will need contracts like Shaw and Alzner to get to the cap floor next year and during their rebuild years. Blockbuster deal and Habs move all in...

Sens Trade:
- Duchene (Habs sign him for 7 more years at $9.5M)
- Stone (Habs sign him for 7 more years at $9.5M)
* Both get 90% of the money paid in July yearly for the first 4 years.

Habs Trade:
- 2019 1st
- 2019 (both 2nd round picks) or 2020 1st
- Poehling
- Suzuki
- Lehkonen
- Juulsen
- Shaw
- Alzner

* Stone vs 2019 1st, Poehling, Juulsen, Alzner
* Duchene vs 2020 1st, Suzuki, Lehkonen, Shaw

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hyperbole doesn’t help and discussion

I'm trying to figure it out. I personally think Appleton would be a good compromise and stated that at the start of these threads but it never really gained any traction for obvious reasons. I think Appleton, Stanley, a 1st and a conditional pick could be beneficial to both sides personally. Is that too much?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Bobby Mac stated it could take as much as 2 1st round picks and 2 prospects for Stone and then went on to mention Vesalainen by name as a guy who might be able to be subbed inf for a 1st.

As always the truth lies somewhere in the middle, Stone will never return what Sens fans want for him, but I do think when he's moved he'll get more than most rentals have gone for.

I think at minimum, a team like the Jets would be looking at something like 1st 2019 + Appleton + Stanley + Cond 1st 2020. Wouldn't be overly surprised to see Vesalainen + 1st 2019 + smaller piece (Petan?) either though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm trying to figure it out. I personally think Appleton would be a good compromise and stated that at the start of these threads but it never really gained any traction for obvious reasons. I think Appleton, Stanley, a 1st and a conditional pick could be beneficial to both sides personally. Is that too much?
I think that would be a decent basis. I'd prefer that the Jets move Lemieux instead of Appleton, but it's hard to know how the Jets and Sens value the two.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I’d, personally, prefer to move 1st+Appleton+????
I think that’s a better deal for both teams.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1st, Lemieux, Stanley, 2020 2nd (becomes 2021 1st if Stone extends long term). I don't think the Sens would get more than that, or that the Jets would spend more. I think the Sens might want to deal with the Jets because Stone is most likely to extend with them, adding to the trade value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we might need to combine the Duchene and Stone threads after this one... :sarcasm:

**** it... Habs go get both Duchene and Stone with extensions for them both. Sens will need contracts like Shaw and Alzner to get to the cap floor next year and during their rebuild years. Blockbuster deal and Habs move all in...

Sens Trade:
- Duchene (Habs sign him for 7 more years at $9.5M)
- Stone (Habs sign him for 7 more years at $9.5M)
* Both get 90% of the money paid in July yearly for the first 4 years.

Habs Trade:
- 2019 1st
- 2019 (both 2nd round picks) or 2020 1st
- Poehling
- Suzuki
- Lehkonen
- Juulsen
- Shaw
- Alzner

* Stone vs 2019 1st, Poehling, Juulsen, Alzner
* Duchene vs 2020 1st, Suzuki, Lehkonen, Shaw

Sens fans... what do you think about this offer?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-impact-of-sens-trio-sitting-vs-devils-1.1261647
Stone’s price tag?
McKenzie
: If the Ottawa Senators do trade
the belief is that they’d be looking for four elements to the trade. It could be as much as two first-round picks and two very good prospects.

You Stone advocates are.....wait for it... STONED.:loony:

"As much as" sounds like 2 conditional 1sts and 2 prospects/young players.

Remember, Garth Snow thought Collberg was a very good prospect.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
1st, Lemieux, Stanley, 2020 2nd (becomes 2021 1st if Stone extends long term). I don't think the Sens would get more than that, or that the Jets would spend more. I think the Sens might want to deal with the Jets because Stone is most likely to extend with them, adding to the trade value.
Yeah this is the absolute limit I'd probably spend.

If it ends up as 1st, 2nd, Lemieux, Stanley for a rental, that's a bad deal for us (even though I'm not too high on Lemieux/Stanley, I still think they have fairly decent value around the league).

Reactions: Snowman

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Appleton I’m sure is absolutely available.

Stanley = 1st rd pick

1st rd pick

Conditional pick if he signs? What pick?

So we’re sitting at basically two 1st rd picks, Appleton & conditional pick (based on if he signs?) is what you’re saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad