McKenzie: Mark Stone Mega-Thread Pt. 2 - Jets pursuing Stone, Ottawa working on contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sens are going to have to open the bank to convince Stone to stay during their rebuild years. Stone will be also asking for bonus money in July too which the Sens might not like. The Sens needs to ask them selfs how they are getting to the cap floor if both Duchene and Stone are gone.

If you were Stone... Would you stay? The minute the Sens get cheap with him, he's as good as gone.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I hope for the Sens sake they get decent returns from these guys. As a hockey fan that’s neutral towards the team, it sucks to see what’s happening there.

They’ve got some good young pieces, but it’s going to be a while before they contend again. I really thought they might be able to keep Stone at least. The guy is the heart and soul of that team.

Reactions: TCB

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Ottawa isnt trading a player that is "theirs" for very much longer.

I hope they do well, but they will be lucky if they get a team's 1st or 2nd best prospect. Let alone getting that with a 1st as well.

Unfortunately, the amount of time they spend drafting and developing Stone, and how much of a fan favourite is, has nothing to do with this.

Rentals aren't worth 1st + top six prospect. 1st + a few guys with shots as role players or backup goalies? Sure. That's basically what Hossa brought back 12 years ago.

I wont say it wont happen, because GMs can get desperate this time of year. But if they do, it's because Dorian played his cards right and another GM blinked.

I cant speak for Calgary or Vegas (the most likely to overpay) but I cant see it being the Jets.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Not enough for the Senators. Keep him there and then add.
Sens can’t possibly expect more for a player they have already lost in 20 games, and the Jets will have to bid more than other suitors, so a 2nd round pick and VESA (which is our position of depth) is fair

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Comrie, Petan, and a 2nd?...........come on man.
I meant it as the 1st. The Jets won't give up Ves and our 1st. I should have specified. Sorry.

I guess I should have said it as: the Jets first and one or two of the Jets B prospects. The quantity of B prospects depending on who they pick.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That's a dangerous tight rope to walk.
There's only so many teams in the market to add a top-flight rental at the moment and they only have so many assets. And there's a lot of names rumoured to be out there - so it's not an ideal year to be trading these guys.
Teams like Nashville, Winnipeg, Boston, etc. will have to move to Plan B or risk losing out completely and the second they do they'll have to pull themselves out of trying to get Stone or Duchene.

If Dorion waits too long he risks either moving these guys for a song or being too late to the party and not getting any deal done.
If he waited for Karlsson last minute on trade deadline I am sure he would have gotten more then he did.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Not that the offers from the Jets in here are the greatest... but Sens fans will be crying themselves to sleep when they actually see what they get for Stone.
We already know we're getting crap. Not because we over/undervalue anything, but because Dorion and his puppeteer are running things here.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Sens are going to have to open the bank to convince Stone to stay during their rebuild years. Stone will be also asking for bonus money in July too which the Sens might not like. The Sens needs to ask them selfs how they are getting to the cap floor if both Duchene and Stone are gone.

If you were Stone... Would you stay? The minute the Sens get cheap with him, he's as good as gone.
Stone to stay? That’s not even an option anymore

Reactions: Snowman

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I meant it as the 1st. The Jets won't give up Ves and our 1st. I should have specified. Sorry.

I guess I should have said it as: the Jets first and one or two of the Jets B prospects. The quantity of B prospects depending on who they pick.

Still doesn't make sense. Petan value is 0. Comrie is a mediocre goalie prospect, so while he has potential his trade value is low also.

If it's our 1st and Petan + Comrie, what B prospect are we adding to that because neither of those guys qualify?

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Aren't there like 10+ forwards on the market where the selling GM is asking for a 1st+? Aren't there only a handful of 1sts in play from selling teams? Something doesn't compute. Market forces, folks.

I'm not saying Stone won't get a big haul for Ottawa, but I am saying with certainty that there will be some sellers caught without a bathing suit when the tide goes out. Anyone suggesting the sellers hold the leverage are fooling themselves. As a Jets fan, there are many players I'd be happy with at the deadline so I'm no longer sweating this Stone thing as much as I was.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Problem for the Jets is if we are extending Stone beyond rental status, we need some cap freed up, and to do that we need to move ELC kids up and higher paid guys out.
Vesalainen would fill a role on the wing in place of Connor/Ehlers.
Roslovic, hopefully, replaces Little at 2C.
Niku replaces Kulikov on the LD.
Jets don’t want a rental Stone, so the money guys, right now, are working over time crunching figures.
But, ultimately, Chevy will need to talk to Stone prior to any trade, to gauge interest in him re-signing. If he’s not interested, this all becomes moot and the Jets move on to Duchene/Panarin/Simmonds/etc...

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Problem for the Jets is if we are extending Stone beyond rental status, we need some cap freed up, and to do that we need to move ELC kids up and higher paid guys out.
Roslovic replaces Little at 2C.
Jets don’t want a rental Stone, so the money guys, right now, are working over time crunching figures.
But, ultimately, Chevy will need to talk to Stone prior to any trade, to gauge interest in him re-signing. If he’s not interested, this all becomes moot and the Jets move on to Duchene/Panarin/Simmonds/etc...
I don't think extending stone is a option for so many reasons. ves over ehler/connor if any thing that proves ves is expendable cause he will never see a top 6 role whith them here. and roslovic got replaced by copp on 4th line he is not replacing little on 2nd. stone will be a rental for who ever he signs with. i'm not saying roslovic or ves should be part of this trade if a 1st is also involved cause they shouldn't. a 1st a couple of b prospects maybe comrie dano and petan and a late round pick any combination of this should be all that's in play for someone with 6 weeks of a shelf life left.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Roslovic, hopefully, replaces Little at 2C.

If the rental cost on Stone is too high I would have zero interest in him and the Jets would benefit more from multi smaller cheaper moves both in the long run & potentially short run. If Stone is signed (unlikely) that changes his return (increases it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad