Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Remember his 1st preseason game with us, in our initial season, when he scored a couple of goals, I jokingly texted a friend "Best Jet Ever!" Might end up being correct when its all said and done.

Also remember all the flak this kid got on this forum for the following three seasons after being drafted. Some real strong assessments by some, declaring him a bust at the seasoned age of 20. Credit to some on here that saw the talent and stuck by him. Shows who can assess talent, and those that can only interpret it through goals and assists.

Sometimes that sexy pick, the one that hits the floor running, does not always end up being the best pick. You cannot put a price tag on character, accountability and work ethic.

I am also a big Raptors fan, have been for years. When they drafted Demar Derozan, I was blown away with the hate projected towards a young kid that had some flaws to his game, but possessed an amazing work ethic, and an inner drive to always get better. Several seasons later, he has made fools outa his haters by a continuous effort to always get better by adding something new to his game each and every offseason.

Scheif reminds me very much of Derozan, and I honestly have no idea how good he will eventually become, because of his dedication towards improving.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Remember his 1st preseason game with us, in our initial season, when he scored a couple of goals, I jokingly texted a friend "Best Jet Ever!" Might end up being correct when its all said and done.

Also remember all the flak this kid got on this forum for the following three seasons after being drafted. Some real strong assessments by some, declaring him a bust at the seasoned age of 20. Credit to some on here that saw the talent and stuck by him. Shows who can assess talent, and those that can only interpret it through goals and assists.

Sometimes that sexy pick, the one that hits the floor running, does not always end up being the best pick. You cannot put a price tag on character, accountability and work ethic.

I am also a big Raptors fan, have been for years. When they drafted Demar Derozan, I was blown away with the hate projected towards a young kid that had some flaws to his game, but possessed an amazing work ethic, and an inner drive to always get better. Several seasons later, he has made fools outa his haters by a continuous effort to always get better by adding something new to his game each and every offseason.

Scheif reminds me very much of Derozan, and I honestly have no idea how good he will eventually become, because of his dedication towards improving.

This is going to be water on the mills of a lot of people I like around here so I'm gonna underline it ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If he'd gone bar down, instead of bar out last night, he was probably first.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't actually remember anyone calling Scheif a bust. Honestly, there may have been 1 or 2 posters but they must not be very active because no one stands out (save for maybe Arby, and I don't even know if he did, it just feels like something he'd do).

The real question was never if he was going to bust...but if he'd be better then couturier :P.

jury's still out on that one IMO but it's starting to swing in old shuffles favor.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If Perreault re-signed for 4 or 5 more years, does anyone think he would be a good A?
C Wheeler/Scheif
A Scheif/Wheeler

A Perreault? Little?

Matty probably deserves a letter. The guy is one of the hardest workers and toughest competitors on this team. Don't know if he's a very vocal leader, but his on ice actions speak for themselves. The big question is whether he re-signs though.

In my opinion, Wheeler is the obvious C, then you look at Perrault, Scheif, Little, Staf (also questionable in terms of resigning) ........Stu

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I don't remember Scheif getting that much flak. There was maybe the odd doubter.

Me neither. I'm notoriously cynical of the Jets management but have been a huge fan of Scheifele since his 4 point exhibition against Columbus. (Aside from playoffs, that game is still my favorite game in 2.0 history and probably always will be.)

There are still a few "Couturier>Scheifele" idiots on twitter, but I don't think any of them are here.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
Mr. Stu North doesn't belong in the NHL, so give his A to Scheifele.
I think Little should get Wheeler's old A. Until Scheifele came along I don't know if anyone in the franchise could match the work ethic of Bryan Little. He deserves it, and that familiar sounding extension of around 6Y/$6M.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
Me neither. I'm notoriously cynical of the Jets management but have been a huge fan of Scheifele since his 4 point exhibition against Columbus. (Aside from playoffs, that game is still my favorite game in 2.0 history and probably always will be.)

There are still a few "Couturier>Scheifele" idiots on twitter, but I don't think any of them are here.

Some of them are in charge of team North America :propeller

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
There might have been the odd person who said Scheifele was a bust (which based on his junior numbers would have been just as funny then as it is now), I think the big controversy was whether he was a better pick than Couturier or Hamilton. The jury is still out on that. Scheifele outscores Couturier but he is used completely differently and his shot suppression is vastly better than Scheifele's.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There might have been the odd person who said Scheifele was a bust (which based on his junior numbers would have been just as funny then as it is now), I think the big controversy was whether he was a better pick than Couturier or Hamilton. The jury is still out on that. Scheifele outscores Couturier but he is used completely differently and his shot suppression is vastly better than Scheifele's.

I wouldn't say vastly, and many other aspects of Scheif's game are better:

qaJjXGK.png

Also this:

zlIwiOF.gif

So, Couturier has had the more difficult deployments, but he and Scheif are grouped together much more closely than their other draft cohorts, who seem to get pretty cushy deployments (minus Huberdeau, but he doesn't beat his assignments, while Couts and Scheif do).

I really like Couturier - I wish we ALSO had him. But I prefer Scheif and his scoring.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Perreault re-signed for 4 or 5 more years, does anyone think he would be a good A?
C Wheeler/Scheif
A Scheif/Wheeler

A Perreault? Little?

Perreault will be 29 when this contract expires. 3 years to age 32 is the right term for him I think. As hard as he plays and the pounding he takes I don't think he will last much past 32. Just my guess but 3 years is what I would offer him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see him more in that Toews range, good for 60ish points and occasionally knocking on the door of 70. I absolutely love Scheifele though.

That sounds about right. I don't want to overhype Scheifele but I like the Toews comparison more and more. Does that sound like too much if he played on a contender? 25-30 goals + 30-35 assists = 60-65 pts for several consecutive peak years, maybe 70 once.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I think he would. Maurice talks about "compete" a lot, and nobody brings that more than Perreault. That kind of play is infectious. I'd like to show the younger guys that it is also recognized and rewarded.

I think he gets left out of the picture a lot, because he wasn't part of the original core, nor is he a drafted member of the younger core.

I dunno about Buff either. But maybe - the "A" comes with a lot less media focus than the "C".

But Little is a great choice in terms of dedication, talent, and work ethic.

Heh, they should create a new letter to give Trouba. Maybe an "S" (for "Sorry").
:laugh: E for effort? No. N for nice try? No. T for try a little harder. Yup that's the one. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

AINEC. Couturier has had better linemates this year too. Look at the last 2 bars.

UqrCOff.jpg

Nothing against Couturier. He is outstanding defensively. A very good 3C, an adequate 2C. But I think it is about time this one was put to bed.

Edit: I see YWG beat me with the Warrior Chart. Mine's more up to date though. :)

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Put Scheifele on the Hawks, and there is no question he would be the best from his draft.

As he and Ehlers and Wheeler develop and get some chemistry, I think we'll really see some magic!

Hope to get a Heritage jersey with #55 on the back!! (Seeing as my previous two jerseys were Ladd and Pavelec :/)

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
For the record I wasn't saying I like Couturier more (I much prefer Scheifele at this point) just saying you could probably cobble together an argument that Couturier is close to Scheifele in value considering usage and his defensive game.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For the record I wasn't saying I like Couturier more (I much prefer Scheifele at this point) just saying you could probably cobble together an argument that Couturier is close to Scheifele in value considering usage and his defensive game.

Probably have no trouble at all getting that done in the Philly board. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad