Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
For the record I wasn't saying I like Couturier more (I much prefer Scheifele at this point) just saying you could probably cobble together an argument that Couturier is close to Scheifele in value considering usage and his defensive game.

This is not really true anymore, if you look at the numbers.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It's too bad Ehlers got hurt. Stafford doesn't belong on that line

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Anyone else feel that Schiefele should be given the captaincy? Wheeler is fully deserving of the C but Schief being the "leader" of the youth movement on a team known for its prospects might be a fitting role.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone else feel that Schiefele should be given the captaincy? Wheeler is fully deserving of the C but Schief being the "leader" of the youth movement on a team known for its prospects might be a fitting role.

No, Scheif has been good no doubt but Wheeler has paid his dues and I have no doubt he's going to get the C if he accepts it.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
No, Scheif has been good no doubt but Wheeler has paid his dues and I have no doubt he's going to get the C if he accepts it.
While Wheeler has certainly paid his dues that doesnt mean he should be the captain. With that reasoning maybe Thorburn should be? This is a chance for the team to solidify a new core and a new direction. Moving away from the team they brought from Atlanta. Making Scheif the C certainly signafies that.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
While Wheeler has certainly paid his dues that doesnt mean he should be the captain. With that reasoning maybe Thorburn should be? This is a chance for the team to solidify a new core and a new direction. Moving away from the team they brought from Atlanta. Making Scheif the C certainly signafies that.

Someone who deals firsthand with both Wheeler and Scheif told me that whatever Wheeler does Scheifele will mimic/follow. Wheeler changes skate brands, so does Fefe, wheeler changes sticks, so does Fefe. He apparently is wheel's little apprentice ...so no he's not going to get the captaincy over wheels...based on what I've heard in terms of the dynamics of the room.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
Someone who deals firsthand with both Wheeler and Scheif told me that whatever Wheeler does Scheifele will mimic/follow. Wheeler changes skate brands, so does Fefe, wheeler changes sticks, so does Fefe. He apparently is wheel's little apprentice ...so no he's not going to get the captaincy over wheels...based on what I've heard in terms of the dynamics of the room.

Based on dynamics in the dressing room then shouldn't Buff then be the C. By all accounts he controls the room. It's great that Scheif has someone to look up to. But just look at Chicago and Toews. Named the C in his 2nd season. Then there is Crosby and Landeskog. Lots of teams have gone young with their choice of C.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Honestly, one could make this assumption on watching them play in the last few years. You always got the sense that Scheif was taking after Wheeler more then anyone else on the team.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Not really. Scheif is very...youthful still. I mean him and Trouba have kid-like mannerisms.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

I believe a good player can be a scorer and a leader/captain but I think Wheeler is in that stage of life where he's ready to be both. I'd rather give Scheifele an A at most and let him concentrate on scoring and getting better as an individual still. He can still lead but I don't want to give him that pressure yet.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I would really like to lock up Scheif for 8 years. I think he has 4 years of RFA left. Aren't those cheaper years? for those saying he should get 6+ AAV shouldn't it be something along the lines of this on the very high end?

Year 1: 3.5
Year 2: 4
Year 3: 4.5
Year 4: 5
Year 5: 7 UFA (i feel should be 6)
Year 6: 7 UFA (i feel should be 6)
Year 7: 7 UFA (i feel should be 6)
Year 8: 7 UFA (i feel should be 6)

average annual of 5.6

Are my RFA years too low?

I know cap will go up by the time UFA kicks in but i find 7 per season is very high. We are paying top value for potential. to me the point of long term over bridge is to be paying closer to the lower end of his probable potential. He gets guaranteed money and we get a bit of a break if he lives up to full potential. With speculated 6+ AAV I see no discount. and no point in locking up if there is no discount in those UFA years.

What am i doing wrong?

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
If year 1 is too low, give him a signing bonus so it doesn't affect cap hit.

With my # AVV (with 6 for UFA years) is 5.125

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would really like to lock up Scheif for 8 years. I think he has 4 years of RFA left. Aren't those cheaper years? for those saying he should get 6+ AAV shouldn't it be something along the lines of this on the very high end?

average annual of 5.6

I know cap will go up by the time UFA kicks in but i find 7 per season is very high. We are paying top value for potential. to me the point of long term over bridge is to be paying closer to the lower end of his probable potential. He gets guaranteed money and we get a bit of a break if he lives up to full potential. With speculated 6+ AAV I see no discount. and no point in locking up if there is no discount in those UFA years.

What am i doing wrong?

IMO the problem from the players point of view is you take away any realistic chance of his big UFA contract with an 8 year contract off your ELC. 8 years takes you right through your prime to the point where you have clearly passed through. In Scheif's case he would be 31 y/o. So he is not getting high paid years into his mid 30's unless you are a true star. It is much better for a player to sign a 5-6 year deal and then be in a position to sign another 5-6 year deal because you are at the height of your prime when negotiating your UFA deal. Team's will often over pay for declining years in that scenario. IMO it is all about maximizing the amount high paying years for a player.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jets should try to use giving Scheifele lockout insurance as a way to lower salary.

Check out the Barkov contract (and Buff's) drops in potential lockout year.

"hey, if you take x dollars less, we'll redeploy salary from potential lockout year to other seasons to protect you if a lockout happens"

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Jets should try to use giving Scheifele lockout insurance as a way to lower salary.

Check out the Barkov contract (and Buff's) drops in potential lockout year.

"hey, if you take x dollars less, we'll redeploy salary from potential lockout year to other seasons to protect you if a lockout happens"

Funny I was just researching Barkov's contract. Scheifele's should be similar. IMO.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Scheifele must have picked up a nice performance bonus for his 20th goal the other night.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

average annual of 5.6

What am i doing wrong?

Barkov's year 6 is $7.75M.

I don't think that's enough AAV to get Scheifele's signature on an 8 year contract. It will take $50M $6.25AAV to do that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad