Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Scheifele is shooting at nearly 15%. I'd be wary of shelling out 7 million AAV for him. 5.5 million long tern sounds about right

15% isn't unheard of for a career shooting percentage. He has a very hard and accurate shot, I wouldn't be surprised if his shooting percentage stays well above league average.

But I agree, 7 million is excessive.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I'm happy to hear that. I thought he had a pretty poor start to the year, but I guess that could be for other reasons besides fitness. Maybe my eye test failed me there.

Still though, whatever Trouba's doing, its not having the same effect as Scheif's training.

I disagree, thought Trouba has looked very physically strong lately, just bulling his way up the ice which is what he's so effective at.

As for Scheif, he's been playing this well all season but now he's getting 1st line duties and showing he's an upgrade on Little offensively. Whatever he lacks in talent he makes up for with work.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bridging is more expensive if the player develops and demands more money after his bridge but it is much safer........having said that, I would offer Scheifele 8 x 6m.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What's this guy gonna get in his prime points wise? I really think he can be a 30G 35A type of guy, put him with Ehlers and Wheeler for the next few years and lookout. Next year we may have a few 20 goal scorers.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
15% isn't unheard of for a career shooting percentage. He has a very hard and accurate shot, I wouldn't be surprised if his shooting percentage stays well above league average.

But I agree, 7 million is excessive.
Buying more free agency years = higher AAV. An 8 year deal at $7m AAV sounds seasonable to me.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It'd be a steal in 3 or 4 years if Scheif keeps progressing.
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Perreault Little
Looks like a nice top 6 for next year.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I disagree, thought Trouba has looked very physically strong lately, just bulling his way up the ice which is what he's so effective at.

By "lately" you mean at some point beyond the beginning of this season? If so, we're not disagreeing. ;) I only said Trouba had a poor start to the season, which I thought could have been due to lackluster off-season training. He seems to improve as the season goes on.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think he or his agent go for that many years at a that AAV.

Agreed the agent will be looking for 5-6 years, but if you make those years worth it maybe he signs. I think a 8 year contract starts in the $4 M range and works up to the $8 M range.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wheeler - C: Definitely.
Scheifele - A: Definitely.
Trouba - A: Definitely not.

You get a letter not for what for what it might (or might not) do to your play. You get a letter for what you have done.

I think Trouba's great. But where Scheifele's dedication to training and improvement is a strength, for Trouba it is a weakness. Or at least a question mark. The very traits that I see in Scheifele that earn him the A, I am concerned Trouba may be the opposite.

I offer the 2nd A to one of the vets, Little or Buff (if he wants it).

I don't think it works for Buff. Maybe I'm wrong there. I thought 1 should go to a D not named Stuart. So Trouba. But it doesn't have to be a D. I agree Trouba hasn't really earned it unless he gets points for carrying Stu the last couple of years. So Little then.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So a top 20 scorer in the league?

Well, right now he looks like a good bet to get 25+ having missed, what 12 games? Might depend on linemates if he is to get the 35 A's to go with. If not for a crossbar and a hot goalie he would have had another multi-goal game tonight.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Gotta be an NHL player of the week. 6 goals in his last 3 games.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Perreault re-signed for 4 or 5 more years, does anyone think he would be a good A?
C Wheeler/Scheif
A Scheif/Wheeler

A Perreault? Little?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've been really impressed with Scheifele lately.

He turns 23 in a week. Big frame, Chia would be a moron to leave him off team North America.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Well, right now he looks like a good bet to get 25+ having missed, what 12 games? Might depend on linemates if he is to get the 35 A's to go with. If not for a crossbar and a hot goalie he would have had another multi-goal game tonight.

I see him more in that Toews range, good for 60ish points and occasionally knocking on the door of 70. I absolutely love Scheifele though.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If Perreault re-signed for 4 or 5 more years, does anyone think he would be a good A?
C Wheeler/Scheif
A Scheif/Wheeler

A Perreault? Little?

Yeah, I think he would. Maurice talks about "compete" a lot, and nobody brings that more than Perreault. That kind of play is infectious. I'd like to show the younger guys that it is also recognized and rewarded.

I think he gets left out of the picture a lot, because he wasn't part of the original core, nor is he a drafted member of the younger core.

I don't think it works for Buff. Maybe I'm wrong there. I thought 1 should go to a D not named Stuart. So Trouba. But it doesn't have to be a D. I agree Trouba hasn't really earned it unless he gets points for carrying Stu the last couple of years. So Little then.

I dunno about Buff either. But maybe - the "A" comes with a lot less media focus than the "C".

But Little is a great choice in terms of dedication, talent, and work ethic.

Heh, they should create a new letter to give Trouba. Maybe an "S" (for "Sorry").

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Schiefele

Needs an A

Performance
attitude
And also you need one of the young guns to take responsibility already.
Can't be always the veterans wearing a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad