Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Scheifele is the kind of player you give an 8 year deal. I'd gladly go 8 years x $7m. Or you do a 2 year bridge then 8 years, but the AAV might cost you more then, but in that scenario you get him for 10 year instead of 8.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Maurice alluded to it as he was asked about a missed call and said he couldn't afford the fine talking about it at another presser, but maybe he could ask Sheif to pay after with tonight's goals.

Yes, this. I was going to bring this up. I thought the team had a pot of money for the first guy to hit 20 goals or something but thought that would be a little weird. Nice to see there's an explanation for it.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Barkov has been injured way more than Scheifele. I believe you are overstating the value age difference. If they both signed the same deal Barkov would enter UFA at a younger age and all things being equal command a larger third contract. Yes it would be great to get Scheifele signed to the contract you propose but I can't see Mark's representatives reccomending that he do that when the Barkov comparable is out there. You offer that and he just says no. Then what?

Then what?........ Then what? .....really?

How about you thank him for considering the 7 year option to stay with the team a long time and start to focus on a 2 year bridge 6-6.5 mill AAV of3-3.25 using Huberdeau with Florida as your main comparable. Some one was drafted 4 spots higher than Schief in the same draft year with a Calder and similar stats.

If I was Schief or Schiefs agent........ the extra guaranteed 30 million to stay somewhere he says he wants to be (long term) would look very tempting. Especially with his limited leverage coming out of ELC.

Couturier most recent 6 yr 4.3 mill and Strome and Zibanejad recent (2 year 5 mill 2.5 AAV) should also be used as comparable s. :popcorn: All within in 3 picks of where Schief was picked.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Barkov

15/16 - 49GP 19G 22A 41P (.84 PPG)
Career - 174GP 43G 58A 101P (.58 PPG)

Scheifele

15/16 - 53GP 20G 20A 40P (.75PPG)
Career - 209GP 49G 75A 124P (.59PPG)

Barkov just signed a 6yr $34.5M extension (5.9 AAV) Should we just get Scheifele's signiture on the same or very similar deal?

Make it 6 even and go for 8 years?

It seems lately that 2nd contracts are going 6 years. There are pros and cons to going as long as possible. What are the pros and cons? Would the longer contract be better in this case? Thoughts?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd be OK with the AAV, but I'd rather try to get a bit longer term - maybe bring the AAV down a bit and try to get 1-2 more years on the term?

Mark is 23 in a few days. I think adding term sees the AAV go up, not down. 8 years has him negotiating again at 31. Is that a good thing?

CaptainKirk316

Feb 8, 2014
Winnipeg
All this keeping in mind who has been the linemate of Barkov all year.. some NHL washed up scrub named Jaromir Jagr.

And somehow his fancy stats are very average, that's with a fancy stat GOD on his line 90% of the time.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I liked the Hawerchuk quote I read about him the other day. Paraphrasing... he said that "Scheifele is like a tree, every time you see him he's grown a bit more". It's definitely true, he never really seems to regress, his progress has been fantastic and steady to boot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Future captain. Been saying it a while. Maybe not now as Wheeler may take the nod but after that it's this kid. Hopefully a Jet for life.

The consensus is clear that Wheeler should be C. Who should wear As? I think Scheifele should wear one. I think now is the time to take it away from Stu, while he is out of the lineup.

Getting the A a couple of years ago seemed to push Wheeler to live up to it. He stepped up and has done nothing but get better since. I think it could have a similar effect on Trouba.

I wouldn't name a new captain until the off-season but I would name 2 new assistants now. I nominate Scheif and Trouba.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I say either a bridge deal or an 8 year deal. If we are going beyond RFA, we need to max out his UFA years.

We will have to overpay to get him to sign an 8 year deal, because the contract value will be based on projected performance. For a young guy on an upwards trajectory, his agent will justifiably try to up-sell his UFA years.

I say no bridge. Lock him up quickly before the price goes up. The only question for me is 6 years? Or more?

Never mind looking for a comparable. Lets see what he looks like compared to the best.

QwtAjLA.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Ehlers will be better than Schief. Those two long term is going to be exciting. If Connor pans out (good chance he does) this team is going to be deadly. I posted the same thing yesterday but I'm so pumped for the future of this team. Top 5 pick this draft too. I can't wait until next year.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Interesting about that chart Mort, and says what my eyes have noticed a bit, that Scheif still has some work to do defensively. How does he match up against Little?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Bridge Trouba and tell his agent if he wants Scheifele money to put in the work Scheifele does.

This EXACTLY. We have two incredibly talented players and one apparently has a much stronger work ethic and dedication than the other. It's starting to show with the difference in their play. One is growing and one is basically stagnant.

Didn't Gary Roberts once point out the big difference between Scheifele and Trouba at his camp?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
The consensus is clear that Wheeler should be C. Who should wear As? I think Scheifele should wear one. I think now is the time to take it away from Stu, while he is out of the lineup.

Getting the A a couple of years ago seemed to push Wheeler to live up to it. He stepped up and has done nothing but get better since. I think it could have a similar effect on Trouba.

I wouldn't name a new captain until the off-season but I would name 2 new assistants now. I nominate Scheif and Trouba.

Wheeler - C: Definitely.
Scheifele - A: Definitely.
Trouba - A: Definitely not.

You get a letter not for what for what it might (or might not) do to your play. You get a letter for what you have done.

I think Trouba's great. But where Scheifele's dedication to training and improvement is a strength, for Trouba it is a weakness. Or at least a question mark. The very traits that I see in Scheifele that earn him the A, I am concerned Trouba may be the opposite.

I offer the 2nd A to one of the vets, Little or Buff (if he wants it).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting about that chart Mort, and says what my eyes have noticed a bit, that Scheif still has some work to do defensively. How does he match up against Little?

The chart incorporates his rookie year in which he wasn't all that great defensively. But more improvement is always welcome.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Its a good thing we aren't GMs. Our valuations would change by the day ;)

Based on watching him since day one (including many in-person games), I've always been quite hopeful for his game, and figured that he'd eventually end up proving to be a valuable player for the Jets.

Here he is, showing that he can function as a 1C - perhaps not elite, but at a level that Little performs at, which is still a considerable feat. Given his attitude, his leadership, his skill, his new-found skating ability and increased quickness and speed, and the fact that he loves where he is: why not lock him up long term?

If we're buying a bunch of UFA years, we're also going to have to pay for it - I'm OK with that. This opinion has nothing to do with yesterday's hat-trick - it's been formed over a long period of time. :nod:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler - C: Definitely.
Scheifele - A: Definitely.
Trouba - A: Definitely not.

You get a letter not for what for what it might (or might not) do to your play. You get a letter for what you have done.

I think Trouba's great. But where Scheifele's dedication to training and improvement is a strength, for Trouba it is a weakness. Or at least a question mark. The very traits that I see in Scheifele that earn him the A, I am concerned Trouba may be the opposite.

I offer the 2nd A to one of the vets, Little or Buff (if he wants it).

Somebody (Lawless?) was mentionint the other day that Trouba took his last off-season quite seriously and was working out all summer with Wheeler as they both spend their off-seasons in Florida.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Somebody (Lawless?) was mentionint the other day that Trouba took his last off-season quite seriously and was working out all summer with Wheeler as they both spend their off-seasons in Florida.

I'm happy to hear that. I thought he had a pretty poor start to the year, but I guess that could be for other reasons besides fitness. Maybe my eye test failed me there.

Still though, whatever Trouba's doing, its not having the same effect as Scheif's training.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Scheifele is shooting at nearly 15%. I'd be wary of shelling out 7 million AAV for him. 5.5 million long tern sounds about right

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think he played poorly for at least 35 games to start the season.
He plays a lot better with Buff and I really like that pairing.
Scheifele will get, at the very least, an A.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
It's not about what I want to pay Scheifele. It's about market value. If you don't pay him a high AAV up front on a 6-8 year deal his agent will get him to bridge.

If I was Scheifele I'd bet on myself if they jets weren't gonna pay me my market value for taking literally all of his prime years. A 7 year deal puches him to 30. This has to be taken into consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad