Confirmed with Link: Marino signs long-term deal: 6 x 4.4m

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Penguins aren't going to be rebuilding at any point during the years of Marino's deal.

They're not going to sell as long as they have Crosby and Malkin (who will re-sign to leave Pittsburgh the same time as Crosby), and I think they'd try to Frankenstein a playoff team after they leave before blowing it up.

No I mean before the off-season :laugh:

I feel more confident in Letang being moved next off-season than I felt about Hornqvist being moved this off-season.

I was just being a smartass :laugh:

Now is that because of the Pens wanting too or because of what teams will want (or option c both)

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I feel more confident in Letang being moved next off-season than I felt about Hornqvist being moved this off-season.
I think it’s the opposite. The fact that Marino costs barely anything means that Letang is gonna stay.

If we had to pay Marino top dollars I’d be worried about my fav player leaving the club but we can easily keep both now.

Rossi’s article on this deal seems to hint at Letang’s next year being his last with PIT.
Rossi? Great, Letang is staying.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A bunch of Twitter comments of not knowing who this guy is. Probably Oiler fans :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
By 'almost exactly the same', do you mean one has been used as a minute munching top pairing defenseman against the other team's top players and the other has not?

There offensive production even strength has been almost exactly the same.

you can caveat that with many things. Role, sample size etc.

But the fact with a capotal F is that even strength John Marino (the defensive guy) has produced the same as Werenski (the offensive guy).

Now Werenski is obviously very good on the PP and thats a notch in his belt to be sure.

But if i had the choice to give one of these two guys 20 even strength minutes in a game all signs point that i should pick Marino.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think Matheson will ever be an insurance policy for Letang, just like Daley was never an insurance policy for Letang. What you hope Matheson can develop into is a 2nd pair D that can combine with Pettersson and make a good 2nd pair. You hope Marino can step into Letang's shoes and replace him, but you're hoping Matheson just becomes Daley 2.0.

My assumption in this "Letang UFA" insurance scenario was that Marino would take over 1RD and Matheson would slide into 2RD.

I don't think anyone in their right mind believes Matheson would leapfrog Marino.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No, is is a fact that Marino's ES per game numbers, based on one season, playing behind two of the greatest players of all time, are similar to Werenski's. Werenski plays for Columbus.

If you use your eyes, Werenski is just a better player, which is no slight on Marino. He's the best Dman on CBJ.

Marino was also attached to Jack Johnson for long stretches, recieved less minutes to accumulate points and got far heavier D zone usage.

This isnt a Werenski hit piece. Hes a good defenseman that excels on the PP. Thats valuable.

But even strength, in the sample we have, ( which is imperfect, i know) Marino has been equal offensively and better defensively at even strength.

That doesnt mean it will continue, it doesn't mean anything other than being an accurate description of what has happened.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Play chicken w/ Letang and get him at a hometown discount. Even if that means getting rid of Pets.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Unless everything goes right on D AND Letang could bring back a dynamic forward that can put this team over the top, I’m keeping him.

I’d sooner move on from a guy like Dumo who can more easily be replaced. I bet Dumo and Letang’s values aren’t even that far apart either.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Letang has a 12 team no trade list. That means 18 options next summer. Can he structure that list to effectively preclude everyone but Montreal? I can't see that.

No-Trade/No-Move Clauses — The Fourth Period

I was talking as a UFA.

Trading him would be dumb. We went over that many times.

You won't get enough value to justify the move (34-year-old UFA-to-be).

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was talking as a UFA.

Trading him would be dumb. We went over that many times.

You won't get enough value to justify the move (34-year-old UFA-to-be).

Oh, as a UFA? Pittsburgh or Montreal is most likely, for sure, but you never know for sure.

Who are his Quebecois besties established on other teams throughout the league these days?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Oh, as a UFA? Pittsburgh or Montreal is most likely, for sure, but you never know for sure.

Who are his Quebecois besties established on other teams throughout the league these days?

Back in the Yanic Perreault Summer Tournament Days, he was with the Latendresse, Fleury, Brassard crew.

So Brassard and Fleury most likely. Perron too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Back in the Yanic Perreault Summer Tournament Days, he was with the Latendresse, Fleury, Brassard crew.

So Brassard and Fleury most likely. Perron too.

He and Giroux are ass grab buddies too, no? I'd say there's no way he'd do it, but then there was no way Talbot or Jagr would do it either . . .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So what you are saying is we miss the playoffs and Rutherford trades Letang for Faulk?

That is the stupidest ******* idea I can imagine, so, in a word, YES, I bet that's exactly what Scandy is suggesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad