Rumor: Marinaro: Philip Danault turned down $5M/6 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Nah, he's going to get 7x6.5-7 this offseason and all the "LOL POINTS" people ITT will shit themselves.

Well it would be an absurdly stupid contract. So yeah. I will laugh at anyone paying him that kind of money in a flat cap world.
He is not worth that at all...
But yeah there are teams desperately enough at center to give him that monstrosity..

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
well why dont you call it a checking line than . they play head to head matchups against the other teams top lines every night . it just so happens that last year thr right winger on the line would have put up his third straight 30 goal season if it wasnt for covid . the left winger was close to a point a game pace ( 61 in 68 ) and the center is arguably the games best checking center . yous can call it what you like . i call it great and look forward to them in the playoffs

A 40pts checking center who can't play on the PP isn't a 1C, and Danault isn't the Habs 1st center anyway, Suzuki is, and Kotkaniemi isn't far behind.

And a case could be made that Gallagher is making that line click, cause since his injury, Danault has 3pts in 12 games.

And just in case, I'm a Habs fan.

Reactions: zeeto

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
he's gonna get more than 4 million.
the question is, how much more than 4 million ?
Could be, I did mention the word should.......should get no more than4M the numbers are just not there, I know he has some good intangibles, but it sounds to me like he does not want to line up behind the two kids, who are pencilled in to the 1-2 positions...
I think if he wants too much, he goes ufa and is unpleasantly surprised.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He is going to regret declining that

I'd be very surprised if he didn't end up getting an offer in the same ballpark this offseason. He's a guy who has shown the ability to play against the opposing teams best players and still produce 45 points a season. Over the last 5 seasons, he has 187 points in 333 games which is a 45 point pace over that time while playing against tough competition. A team will take that bet and these type of players typically get paid and provide enough value to make it work.

Over the last 5 seasons Pageau has produced at a 37 points per game pace while having a similar role and he did get paid for that even though he's had really good seasons and then some very average ones. I think Danault has had better linemates overall which has resulted in a better point production but I am expecting a very similar contract to Pageau with Danault.

He's had a tough year but he's clearly an asset. GMs see the value in this type of player. If I had to take a guess I think he's getting something in the 4 years and 5M range.

I also think there's a unique opportunity for him being a free agent with the expansion draft. Seattle will definitely be stealing a couple guys from teams and these teams will then be looking at the free agent market to replace their lost player. Seattle will also likely look to add UFAs so these are all additional options for Danault in a market where there just won't be a lot of centers available in free agency. Krejci, Stastny, Zajac, Bozak, Getzlaf, Staal are all 35 or older. If a team is looking for a medium to longer term solution it pretty much just leaves Danault and Granlund who have somewhat of a track record to show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Theodore450

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
hey thanks it was a nice victory
I'm a Penguins fan who was happy they got eliminated, only because i knew that Penguins team had no chance of winning the cup, but at least they had a shot at winning the draft lottery. It was fun for a few days until that was shot down as well. At least the Pens look better this year.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
He wants to leave Montreal pretty simple
Yeah Im surprised by the reactions

money isnt everything to everyone. If I was an NHL player and I hit UFA, Id go somewhere I want to live with my family/future family. Unless that team was absolutely abysmal or falling off; but past that how good they are or how much isnt what matters if youre getting what you think youre wortH

he may very well think hes worth even less than 6yearsx5m, but that extra mil or so isnt worth doing whats right for him as a person

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He's 28 yrs old.
His best play is take 7.5 x 2.
Hope he ages well, then rinse and repeat-ish another couple of years.

No one gonna give Longgggggggggg termmmmmmmmmm in flat cap environ.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Wingers salaries are what suffered in covid not centers or d-men. 5m especially with CAD taxes is low. Now the term is the sexy part for Danault. The 6 years he might not get.

It takes one desperately dopey gm to offer 6-6.5m per for 4 years to show Danault was correct. Guessing there there will be one dope.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
L
Wingers salaries are what suffered in covid not centers or d-men. 5m especially with CAD taxes is low. Now the term is the sexy part for Danault. The 6 years he might not get.

It takes one desperately dopey gm to offer 6-6.5m per for 4 years to show Danault was correct. Guessing there there will be one dope.
See backes

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah Im surprised by the reactions

money isnt everything to everyone. If I was an NHL player and I hit UFA, Id go somewhere I want to live with my family/future family. Unless that team was absolutely abysmal or falling off; but past that how good they are or how much isnt what matters if youre getting what you think youre wortH

he may very well think hes worth even less than 6yearsx5m, but that extra mil or so isnt worth doing whats right for him as a person

He wants respect. After winning the 5v5 battle in lopsided fashion year after year he doesn't like being told that he's viewed as a future 3C. He'll go where he is wanted the most.

Reactions: First Line

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Nah, he's going to get 7x6.5-7 this offseason and all the "LOL POINTS" people ITT will shit themselves.

I'd be surprised if the team signing him that outrageous amount even makes the playoffs...

I'll shit myself the day he's on a contending team playing top line minutes... because he's one of the best C's in the league right?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Kevin Hayes gets paid over 7.
Pageau makes 5.
Danault will get paid somewhere in between

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I thought he doesn’t want to be a checking line center?

in Montreal that’s what it looks like he will be.
Who in the league doesn’t have a 1 or 2 center now or potentially in the near future from drsfted players?

teams that jump out to me

Boston to replace krejci
Washington to replace backstrum
Rangers to fill void when Strome/Zibs leave
Chicago as a replacement for Toews
Minnesota for a vet center in a 1/2 role
Seattle does not have any centers currently on their roster.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
A 40pts checking center who can't play on the PP isn't a 1C, and Danault isn't the Habs 1st center anyway, Suzuki is, and Kotkaniemi isn't far behind.

And a case could be made that Gallagher is making that line click, cause since his injury, Danault has 3pts in 12 games.

And just in case, I'm a Habs fan.
great call them the second line .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I'm a Penguins fan who was happy they got eliminated, only because i knew that Penguins team had no chance of winning the cup, but at least they had a shot at winning the draft lottery. It was fun for a few days until that was shot down as well. At least the Pens look better this year.
thats great than

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
He wants respect. After winning the 5v5 battle in lopsided fashion year after year he doesn't like being told that he's viewed as a future 3C. He'll go where he is wanted the most.
hell stay in montreal where he and his family are happy . 5 year deal for 5.4 million

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If he ends up leaving as a ufa, it wont be because of the money. It will be because of the role he wants. He wants to be a top line center, but on the habs he's going to end up below both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi in the near future, and he knows that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I feel like $5 million a year for Danault is pretty fair, so I'm kinda confused for why he rejected that.

the feeling is he doesn’t want to be stuck as a 3rd liner defense first role. He wants to be somewhere he can be more offense first role. In Montreal he’d be stuck brhing Suzuki and KK.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would be surprised if he got anything over 5 in this cap climate. Production is the gold standard in the NHL for a reason, sure he plays good defense but that is really not that hard to find. If the Habs give him more than Toffoli I will lmao

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Who the hell is paying a 28 year old with 13 goals as a career high 6 million a year? Lol at any team/GM being dumb enough to do that.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad