Marian Hossa Potentially Retiring? Update: Will Not Play in 17-18

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
In regards to the "he should just retire" argument...

Why? What if he does actually get better next year and wants to come back and play? You're essentially saying that you, as a critical fan, get to determine what a player does with their career. Which is completely pompous and absurd. The Hawks got their cups and Hossa's (then legal) contract was a big part of it. Get over yourselves with your crybaby attitude. The league doesn't care, plenty of teams have done this, deal with it.

Progressive means it gets worse. If he's not well enough to play now, why is there any belief it will get better?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
How about Hawks deal with the cap circumvention penalty that's part of the CBA instead of trying to weasel their way out of it?

How's about the Blackhawks continue to work within the rules set in each cba and thumb their nose at those who lack the smarts or creativity to do the same?

Putting Hossa on LTIR is well within the rules of the CBA. Hell, based on precedent, he now stands a decent chance of getting employed by the NHL head office.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Uh, no, he won't.

People sure love to throw around that CC phrase. Meanwhile, the Hawks are scrambling to somehow replace him.

They are much worse off today than they were yesterday, that isn't debatable.

they may be worse but this gets them under the cap

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
they may be worse but this gets them under the cap

Do you honestly believe they would somehow be OVER the cap when the season started? Are you that naive? :laugh: Has that ever happened in your entirety of watching the NHL in the salary cap era?

They were barely over it as it was...

And for your knowledge, since you seem to lack any in regards to the cap and LTIR...(this also goes for so many posters I've read who think it lowers the Hawks' team salary)

Hossa going on LTIR DOES NOT LOWER their cap hit in relation to the salary cap. It allows them to spend OVER the salary cap, by a portion, reflected in a formula specifically for this.

There's even one for during the season, and one for during the offseason. Do some research. Educate yourself... Many of you.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Last edited:

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
Were relentless cynicism a valid replacement for insight, HFBoards would be a shining beacon of understanding.

Anyway, all the best to Hossa.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Do you honestly believe they would somehow be OVER the cap when the season started? Are you that naive? :laugh: Has that ever happened in your entirety of watching the NHL in the salary cap era?

And for your knowledge, since you seem to lack any in regards to the cap and LTIR...(this also goes for so many posters I've read who think it lowers the Hawks' team salary)

Hossa going on LTIR DOES NOT LOWER their cap hit in relation to the salary cap. It allows them to spend OVER the salary cap, by a portion, reflected in a formula specifically for this.

why do people act like there is some huge difference between lower the cap and being allowed to spend over it ?

There's even one for during the season, and one for during the offseason. Do some research. Educate yourself...

wtf are you ranting on about ?

I merely said this gets you under the cap , basically implying you don't have to do any other moves that you may not want too . I have no idea where the rest of crap you spewed came from .

fools like you seem to believe Bettman's cap circumvention police are creeping these boards searching for evidence and it's your job to defend your teams actions so they can escape their wrath

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

There's even one for during the season, and one for during the offseason. Do some research. Educate yourself... Many of you.

With as close to the cap as they are they will be able to maximize the amount of relief they get. Going max roster size moving players around and be against the cap when they move him to LTIR. Therefore giving them all of his cap space to use. And they can do it safely since they aren't expecting him to be back at all.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
How about Hawks deal with the cap circumvention penalty that's part of the CBA instead of trying to weasel their way out of it?

The great irony of course is that the cap recapture penalty was put into the CBA after the deal (and others) was signed, which might be the dumbest thing a very dumb league has ever done.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

giphy.gif

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Progressive means it gets worse. If he's not well enough to play now, why is there any belief it will get better?

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't retire. I'm saying that it's not mine or anyone else's decision except for his. Maybe, just maybe, the neckbeards on this forum don't know enough about progressive skin disorders to make any substantiative comments about what a player should do with their career.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Were relentless cynicism a valid replacement for insight, HFBoards would be a shining beacon of understanding.

Anyway, all the best to Hossa.

:laugh:

As a Hawks fan, thank you for the well wishes. Hossa is mine and many other favorite players in Chicago and it's a shame that his Hall of Fame career is coming to an end.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Big surprise, hands up if you didn't see this coming a mile away. It's totally cap circumvention but good on the Hawks for recognizing that they would never be held accountable for signing that contract. Has any team actually ever paid 1 cent of cap recapture penalties? It seems like every situation that would lead to this so far has found a way to worm out of it, pretty convenient.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Big surprise, hands up if you didn't see this coming a mile away. It's totally cap circumvention but good on the Hawks for recognizing that they would never be held accountable for signing that contract. Has any team actually ever paid 1 cent of cap recapture penalties? It seems like every situation that would lead to this so far has found a way to worm out of it, pretty convenient.

*Puts hand up*

Working in a kinda related domain, I see people claim medical disabilities due to allergies every single ****ing day. And they develop them at all ages, from birth to into their late 80s. So why do you think a millionaire would somehow be exempt of all this crap.

If you only had an idea in what chemical crap hockey gear, among other things, is put before being ready for use, you would start walking naked 24/7 right ****ing now.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I don't think many owners would be pleased to see the Hawks gain need relief after not doing a contract to comply with the new standards. Hard to make the case they were given an opportunity to get in compliance and then reap a benefit under the new CBA contractual provisions. If his condition is that serious after playing for far more money and gaining 96% percent of his contract he now has an issue. He had this issue last year and played with it. If it is indeed progressive if he stays on meds, then why LTIR if he can't play with a condition unique to him. Or what if the NHL docs say he can play taking this medication. Then the ball is in Hossa to play or retire. I have zero confidence the NHL will give any credence to this but if I am an owner in the central, I am not letting this go with some pressure to see if it is really legit.

Last edited:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
It's almost like medical conditions can get worse or something...

It's not at all circumvention when the Blackhawks absolutely want Hossa back at his cap hit next season but his health won't allow. Now if Hossa had a terrible season and looked to be slowing down, you may have a point but he was terrific last year and worth every penny of his cap hit. This does not benefit the Hawks at all for next season - it hurts.

Edit - I also think you don't know what the word "proof" means if you think his salary going down is "proof of circumvention". A coincidence is not proof.

Who cares whether Chicago would take him back? ... This is Hossa retiring. He doesn't want them and certainly not at $1M per year.

Hossa said that this would be the point that he would likely retire when he signed the contract. He and Chicago colluded to make an agreement much longer with a bunch of bullcrap, low pay seasons tacked on.

Hossa is now retiring exactly when he said he would. Which wouldn't have been an issue had the NHL not created a retroactive policy to penalize those cap circumventing deals.

Hossa and Chicago are now colluding again, because he wants to retire (when he thought would) and not waste his time playing for a fraction of the salary. So they are colluding to avoid the retroactive penalty.

None, but the most guillable of souls believe that his skin issue is causing his retirement. Nor will anybody believe when Zetterberg and Luongo mystery ailments arrive at the moment that they had expected to retire either.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Who cares whether Chicago would take him back? ... This is Hossa retiring. He doesn't want them and certainly not at $1M per year.

Hossa said that this would be the point that he would likely retire when he signed the contract. He and Chicago colluded to make an agreement much longer with a bunch of bullcrap, low pay seasons tacked on.

Hossa is now retiring exactly when he said he would. Which wouldn't have been an issue had the NHL not created a retroactive policy to penalize those cap circumventing deals.

Hossa and Chicago are now colluding again, because he wants to retire (when he thought would) and not waste his time playing for a fraction of the salary. So they are colluding to avoid the retroactive penalty.

None, but the most guillable of souls believe that his skin issue is causing his retirement. Nor will anybody believe when Zetterberg and Luongo mystery ailments arrive at the moment that they had expected to retire either.

Would like to see evidence he actually said that.

(He didn't)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah I'd say he's finished if he's not playing at all this upcoming season.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as was touched upon endless amount of times - allergies can develop at any time for any reason. and they can get worse. regardless how we feel about how this looks, I honestly doubt that someone like Hossa, especially after almost scoring 30 goals last season would just up and disappear and retire because of this. It would have been more suspicious (in my mind) had he had a year like Shane Doan, only scoring six and THEN this developed

the League shouldn't have had cap-circumvention penalties anyway. (well we shouldn't have a cap, but that's a horse of a different colour). things like this should have been grandfathered in. but it's not and there'll be more teams finding creative ways to make people disappear.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

Theres so much wrong here I don't even know where to start. Please prove the bolded actually. The mindless speculation is one thing but if your gonna blatantly make things up there's no point in even having a discussion.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Theres so much wrong here I don't even know where to start. Please prove the bolded actually. The mindless speculation is one thing but if your gonna blatantly make things up there's no point in even having a discussion.

Make what up? All of these cockamamee contracts were the same. Pay them the $7M that they're worth on the market for 150% of the time that they intend to play and take advantage of the system. It's why the NHL made a retroactive penalty in the first place... because contracts like Hossa's were so blatantly designed to cheat the system.

Now he's retiring just when the contract showed that he would and proving to the NHL precisely what they suspected.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
I hate the LTIR rule but bottom line the cap recapture has to apply if he doesn't play. Period. What a ****ing scam.

There are no situations in which someone shouldn't count against the cap. Don't like the risk? Don't sign ridiculous front loaded deals.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Make what up? All of these cockamamee contracts were the same. Pay them the $7M that they're worth on the market for 150% of the time that they intend to play and take advantage of the system. It's why the NHL made a retroactive penalty in the first place... because contracts like Hossa's were so blatantly designed to cheat the system.

Hossa said that this would be the point that he would likely retire
when he signed the contract. He and Chicago colluded to make an agreement much longer with a bunch of bullcrap, low pay seasons tacked on.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...hossa-blackhawks-spt-0930-20160929-story.html

Uhhhhhh ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad