Marian Hossa Potentially Retiring? Update: Will Not Play in 17-18

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Make what up? All of these cockamamee contracts were the same. Pay them the $7M that they're worth on the market for 150% of the time that they intend to play and take advantage of the system. It's why the NHL made a retroactive penalty in the first place... because contracts like Hossa's were so blatantly designed to cheat the system.

Now he's retiring just when the contract showed that he would and proving to the NHL precisely what they suspected.

So you're saying you can't actually find a quote of him saying "this is when I'll likely retire"? I just wanted to be sure you're calling yourself on your own ********

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

So you're saying you can't actually find a quote of him saying "this is when I'll likely retire"? I just wanted to be sure you're calling yourself on your own ********

Yeah and Barry Bonds track marks were from all of the spinach he was consuming.

Oh you mean Hossa didn't come right out and say that he and Chicago colluded to cheat to cap system? ... Oh well then, case closed! :shakehead

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Going to be straight ******** if the NHL doesn't allow Bowman to use LTIR.

Why would LTIR apply here? It's just a condition he has, and he can choose to use the means available, which do exist, to play, or he can choose to not play. This isn't an injury from playing, it's just his personal situation. If he doesn't want to play, he should just retire.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Please tell me what is in it for Hossa to officially retire? He won't get the money that is owed to him.

Other team fans just want to see him officially retire so the Hawks get hit with a penalty. Blame the NHL for this stupid LTIR rule, not Hossa or the Hawks.

Bingo boingo. We have lockouts to keep player salaries in check and then the GMs just invent new ways to pay the players. Can't fault the hawks here or hossa.

I have more of an issue with teams like Phoenix picking up salaries of retired players like datsyuk and pronger.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And that is excactly what's wrong with sports these days.

And that's gonna change this time. Hossa is one of the nicest guys in the league, on and off the ice. That's why in time this will be remembered as the story of a fallen warrior, who despite a heroic effort, had his career cut short by a debilitating degenerative skin condition. Hossa was the Hawks' nominee for the Masterton this year. It's now apparent that the people closest to Hossa knew all along that his condition was progressing. Hopefully they find a cure. In the meantime, we miss you already, get well soon.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Obvious cap circumvention. Chicago is the guy at work who calls in sick after every Superbowl and St. Patty's Day.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Even if he has this mysterious "gunk"...
Why announce months in advance that you're 100% for sure going to have to miss a full season?

Why announce it on the day of the NHL Awards/Expansion Draft, right before the draft and free agency? Basically they chose the exact day of the year where the league and media are guaranteed to be most busy and most likely to let this slide.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Even if he has this mysterious "gunk"...
Why announce months in advance that you're 100% for sure going to have to miss a full season?

Why announce it on the day of the NHL Awards/Expansion Draft, right before the draft and free agency? Basically they chose the exact day of the year where the league and media are guaranteed to be most busy and most likely to let this slide.

And on the 1st time he starts being paid 1 million instead of 4 million or 7.9 million.

Kind of convienient he could play when he was being paid the big bucks.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
And that's gonna change this time. Hossa is one of the nicest guys in the league, on and off the ice. That's why in time this will be remembered as the story of a fallen warrior, who despite a heroic effort, had his career cut short by a debilitating degenerative skin condition. Hossa was the Hawks' nominee for the Masterton this year. It's now apparent that the people closest to Hossa knew all along that his condition was progressing. Hopefully they find a cure. In the meantime, we miss you already, get well soon.

I have no beef with Hossa. He's one of my favourites, too. I have little against the Hawks as well. My beef is with the league in general. Who can blame Hossa? I'd fight through an intertrigo (which is really very unagreeable) for a couple of millions. My problem was that the league didn't deal with these contracts properly. All the best to Hossa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad