Marian Hossa Potentially Retiring? Update: Will Not Play in 17-18

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Hossa is allergic to not making enough money. :laugh:

health-condtions-itching.gif

The NHL isn't going to do squat. But that doesn't mean we can't mock this absurdity.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Hawks are the darling of the NHL. However, the other teams in the central division will not be happy.

No.

No NHL teams will protest LTIR cases as half want the option to be available to them, other half want to be able to acquire such deals to reach cap floor with as little actual dollars spent as possible.

The most any team will say to the NHL is 'remember this when it's our turn to put somebody expensive on LTIR'.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
I can see him maybe having a reaction the the soap used to clean equipment (in that case switch soaps) but the equipment itself no

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I get that you don't want him to retire to benefit your team, but what makes you think a progressive skin disease is going to improve... :rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

I mean I never once said I thought it was going to improve but he is upgrading medicines and sitting out a year. I'm no doctor but I would assume that would help make it more manageable, otherwise what's the point in upgrading to a medicine with more side effects? Im glad we have a skin expert such as yourself to shine light on the situation though. I personally don't see him coming back at all but I'm not gonna fault the guy for not giving up hope. He doesn't have an obligation to anyone to retire... If he still has hope he can play again, he's well within his right to keep working toward a comeback. It's as simple as that.

You need to look at the bigger picture and not just what this means to the blues

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Gotta love HF posters caring more about a salary cap than a future HOFers health

I really don't see what you're complaining about happening in this thread. Sure there are some who are doubting the veracity of Hossa's health issue, but I don't think it's accurate to say they don't care about his health (or care more about the salary cap than his health)...they just seem think his health is fine and therefore should not be a concern.

FWIW I am sure that Hossa has a legitimate health issue and wish him all the best. Hopefully he has a fully recovery and his quality of life is not impacted in the long run (i.e. the 40+ years of his life not spent on the ice).

HOWEVER, if this health issue is so bad that he has to sit out a couple seasons in a row...then he should retire and the hawks should be hit with the recapture penalty IMO.

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The timing of this is just way too convenient given that he's into the $1M/yr years of his contract.

Chicago's finessing something here so he can effectively "retire" without the cap penalty applying and perhaps sneak it through as an LTIR.

All things considered I wish Hossa the best and hope nothing seriously wrong is occurring. It just smells like cap circumvention to me.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I mean I never once said I thought it was going to improve but he is upgrading medicines and sitting out a year. I'm no doctor but I would assume that would help make it more manageable, otherwise what's the point in upgrading to a medicine with more side effects? Im glad we have a skin expert such as yourself to shine light on the situation though. I personally don't see him coming back at all but I'm not gonna fault the guy for not giving up hope. He doesn't have an obligation to anyone to retire... If he still has hope he can play again, he's well within his right to keep working toward a comeback. It's as simple as that.

You need to look at the bigger picture and not just what this means to the blues

Hey, what do I know...I've probably never worked hard for anything in my life.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He should retire if his health is at risk. But that wouldn't be convenient for the Blackhawks, which is why people are "caring more."

No, it's more like Hossa's skin condition isn't convenient with the narrative that his contract would sink the Hawks with recapture penalties so everyone is pissed off.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really don't see what you're complaining about happening in this thread. Sure there are some who are doubting the veracity of Hossa's health issue, but I don't think it's accurate to say they don't care about his health (or care more about the salary cap than his health)...they just seem think his health is fine and therefore should not be a concern.

FWIW I am sure that Hossa has a legitimate health issue and wish him all the best. Hopefully he has a fully recovery and his quality of life is not impacted in the long run (i.e. the 40+ years of his life not spent on the ice).

HOWEVER, if this health issue is so bad that he has to sit out a couple seasons in a row...then he should retire and the hawks should be hit with the recapture penalty IMO.
isn't the cap recapture penalty in this case rather extreme? It's just not realistic for the league to challenge this. What benefit is there to dragging a marquee franchise into the sewer, even for their rivals?

Is that what the rivals of the Hawks to happen, for the team to be destroyed by the cap? I don't think so, and if anything the owners care about ticket sales and ratings, and a destroyed Hawks team hurts that bottom line.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
of course he isn't faking it , it's very typical for a guy who's played almost 20 years in the league to retire because of an allergic reaction to his equipment once their actual salary drops off to 1m a year

And it was reported years ago that he was likely never going to play out the contract anyway lol

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Gotta love HF posters caring more about a salary cap than a future HOFers health

Why go holier than thou? And are you implying that if he wasn't a future HoF guy, it would be sort of ok to care less about his health than the cap?

It's a debate of ideas. Hossa will take care of his own health regardless of anyone's opinion on anything. Especially opinions of strangers on the internet that he will never, ever meet on any sort of personal level. His feelings will be fine.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
isn't the cap recapture penalty in this case rather extreme? It's just not realistic for the league to challenge this. What benefit is there to dragging a marquee franchise into the sewer, even for their rivals? Is that what the rivals of the Hawks to happen? For the team to be destroyed by the cap? I don't think so, and if anything the owners care about ticket sales and ratings, and a destroyed Hawks team hurts that bottom line.

I know, right? "Man, this is really going to do a ton of damage to our product but gosh darn it, there are fans in dimly lit basements around the world caked in cheetoh dust who trust us, and I for one would sooner see the league lose money than betray that trust."

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
isn't the cap recapture penalty in this case rather extreme? It's just not realistic for the league to challenge this. What benefit is there to dragging a marquee franchise into the sewer, even for their rivals?

Is that what the rivals of the Hawks to happen, for the team to be destroyed by the cap? I don't think so, and if anything the owners care about ticket sales and ratings, and a destroyed Hawks team hurts that bottom line.
Never said it was realistic, just that IMO it should happen. I think it's a pretty large exaggeration to say that Hossa retiring instead of LTIR would be "dragging a marquee franchise into the sewer." The hawks have won three cups and had a LOT of success with Hossa on a contract that circumvented the cap. Why should they receive all the benefits of such a contract with none of the downside?

I am not sure exactly what you're trying to say in the second paragraph...but I think it's just not true that other NHL owners do not want the hawks to be in a cap crunch because it would hurt their own bottom line.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

I think it's more of a case you can't put the genie back into the bottle. The league has allowed these LTIR retirements already under the current CBA. So until they actually write something into a new CBA they'll continue to let it happen.
Best example is Pronger. On LTIR while holding a position in the league offices.
The real question is will they add such language to the next CBA?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What are the health benefits of going on LTIR instead of retiring for Marian Hossa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad