Marian Hossa Potentially Retiring? Update: Will Not Play in 17-18

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Exactly... how convenient? just like Pronger could still be assistant GM and count on the cap as LTIR. The NHL are really a bush league when it comes to cap circumvention.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If it happens and he goes on LTIR

Its not like precedent hasn't been set

Hawks never should have been facing punishment for legal contract anyway

I don't believe this and hadn't heard any Hossa retiring or health stuff before this article

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What's the material that could possibly cause an allergy in equipment out of curiosity? I assumed it was just cotton/polyester/plastic and whatever the cushioning is in helmets which are all normal materials. I know that sticks used to have some sort of micro fibers that bothered players in the 70s but this is odd.

I doubt he's faking it if it involves legitimate documentation with doctors and proof of prescription medication being used. HF users are as bad as the worse of conspiracy theorists lol.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hawks should get hit with the recapture penalty regardless. Their punishment for all those cap circumventing contracts.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What's the material that could possibly cause an allergy in equipment out of curiosity? I assumed it was just cotton/polyester/plastic and whatever the cushioning is in helmets which are all normal materials. I know that sticks used to have some sort of micro fibers that bothered players in the 70s but this is odd.

I doubt he's faking it if it
involves legitimate documentation with doctors and proof of prescription medication being used. HF users are as bad as the worse of conspiracy theorists lol.

of course he isn't faking it , it's very typical for a guy who's played almost 20 years in the league to retire because of an allergic reaction to his equipment once their actual salary drops off to 1m a year

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If it happens and he goes on LTIR

Its not like precedent hasn't been set

Hawks never should have been facing punishment for legal contract anyway

I don't believe this and hadn't heard any Hossa retiring or health stuff before this article

disagree

the fact this comes up now as his salary drops to 1mill a year?
the fact this comes up the exact moment that every said he would retire?

he will end up on LTIR

but disagree about the no penalty thing--the contract was designed to get around the cap

Hawks ended up with an extra 2,1375 in cap space per year for 8 years

if Hossa's cap hit was over 7mill a year--the hawks would not have been able to add players to help them win the cup

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Everyone knew this day was coming. A+ for originality. Hell of a career if that was it, though I suspect he'll magically find a way to deal with it next season in the SEL or KHL...

Luc Gretzky

Jun 24, 2012
As Adam Carolla would say:

"SHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... [inhale] SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ocking!

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Can see the Yotes taking this cap hit to reach the floor.

Gives the Hawks some much needed cap relief. Guy was a warrior and finally won his Cups as a main piece for the dynasty of the Cap era.

No shame in this at all. LTIR him and move on.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Must be a really serious allergy if he played through it for his entire hockey playing career. Can't he just use a different type of equipment?

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
Points for creativity. Every one of these super long, front loaded contract will end in LTIR retirement, no matter how transparently bogus the "injury" is. I'm a little salty that blatant cap circumvention is only a problem when the Devils do it.

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
the timing couldn't be better for the Hawks, that's for sure, but as a 48 year old that's never had an allergy or allergic reaction to anything up until 2 years ago, which I now have everyday...I'll reserve judgement until I know more. weird **** happens to the body as you age.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Funny how this allergy only comes out now...

Allergies show up out of nowhere and can disappear just as quickly. As an allergy sufferer I know this, as do many others. If the doctors are saying it's true then who are you to judge? Wouldn't it be easier, in a wink wink scenario, as you're suggesting, to get him to say he's got a bad back or neck? This story seems too far fetched to be fabricated. It's very creative if it's not true.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's no way that the league will dispute this. The Hawks are a marquee franchise and are in serious cap trouble

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Must be a really serious allergy if he played through it for his entire hockey playing career. Can't he just use a different type of equipment?

I don't think people who are allergy-free understand, at all. You can have an allergy your whole life, you can pick one up at age 40 and it can disappear at age 42,52,82 etc. I have allergic reactions to my hockey equipment but I don't care tbh. I put steroidal cream on and call it a day. It's once it starts to **** with your breathing and immune system where it becomes an issue. I'm assuming there's a complication here for Hossa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad