Marian Gaborik

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Don't go on the trade boards if you take offense to trade ideas like Gaborik for 2 third liners and second round pick. This will be bad. I know why he's on the block. If the mantra of this team is hard work, aggressive forechecking, Gaborik does not fit. I still think that the trade was more about moving bad contracts than actually acquiring Gaborik. If GMJK can get a team to take on all of Gabby's salary in exchange for a roster player and a first round pick, then I consider this a win.

I would offer Gaborik back to the Rangers for Dorse in a heartbeat, I would take a heart and soul guy who scores 12 goals, kills penalties, hits everything in site and fights all comers over a floater that MIGHT get 20 goals this year...

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I would offer Gaborik back to the Rangers for Dorse in a heartbeat, I would take a heart and soul guy who scores 12 goals, kills penalties, hits everything in site and fights all comers over a floater that MIGHT get 20 goals this year...

You'd have to get the charger paddles to re-start my heart if GMJK even thought about this. Look, I like Derek Dorsett, but I don't blame GMJK one bit for dealing him because he had other similar players to him. I would rather take the chance on world class skill that we haven't had. The only player I regret having let go in that trade was John Moore. I wish we had Moore now to trade for offensive upgrades to add to Gaborik.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You'd have to get the charger paddles to re-start my heart if GMJK even thought about this. Look, I like Derek Dorsett, but I don't blame GMJK one bit for dealing him because he had other similar players to him. I would rather take the chance on world class skill that we haven't had. The only player I regret having let go in that trade was John Moore. I wish we had Moore now to trade for offensive upgrades to add to Gaborik.

I'm sorry, but I don't see anyone on this team, except maybe Dubi, that has the skill set that Dorse has/had. I was for the trade at the time because I hadn't seen much of Gaborik and saw his stats and thought it was a decent trade, wished at the time Dorse wouldn't have been a part of that, but now that the dust has settled, it's not looking good...I'm glad we got rid of Country Club but I really wish we had Dorse back, he was my favorite player and brought effort to every single shift and game, a lot of players on this team need a guy like him to drag them into the fight.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If there's one thing this team needs, its talentless "heart and soul" players.

"talentless?" That's an ignorant comment if you're talking about Dorsett. He was a very solid third line player that killed penalties, scored 12 goals, lead the league in fights, hit everything in sight and was a leader, on and off the ice. He's brings more to the table than Umberger, Comeau, Letestu, and really Gaborik.

IHeartZherdev*

Nothing is better for the heart and soul of a team than some guy who can barely play putting you shorthanded 4 times a game while being a sideshow goon

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
he was my favorite player and brought effort to every single shift and game, a lot of players on this team need a guy like him to drag them into the fight.

This explains your position and I can respect that. He was not my favorite player, so while he was fine to have around, IMO he wasn't a difference maker for this club. I put Boll in the same category, they have their place in the game, but to say that you'd trade Gaborik for Dorsett straight up (correct me if I'm wrong) I think is way off base.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
This explains your position and I can respect that. He was not my favorite player, so while he was fine to have around, IMO he wasn't a difference maker for this club. I put Boll in the same category, they have their place in the game, but to say that you'd trade Gaborik for Dorsett straight up (correct me if I'm wrong) I think is way off base.

Dorse was far more useful than Boll will ever be. Having said that, I don't know what this has to do with Gaborik other than some insane hope/thought/suggestion perhaps of sending Gaborik back for Dorse.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Heard on puck rakers chat, compared Heatley and Gabby...Maybe a trade that sends gabby back to Minny to retire there and we get Heater? Probably a terrible idea

Edit: Just looked at stats, man Heater has 2g 2a this year...

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Don't go on the trade boards if you take offense to trade ideas like Gaborik for 2 third liners and second round pick. This will be bad. I know why he's on the block. If the mantra of this team is hard work, aggressive forechecking, Gaborik does not fit. I still think that the trade was more about moving bad contracts than actually acquiring Gaborik. If GMJK can get a team to take on all of Gabby's salary in exchange for a roster player and a first round pick, then I consider this a win.

Hey, there was one that involved a good player. It was Kris Letang, but would involve retaining 50% of Gaborik's salary and then adding Ryan Murray.:laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Poolie here. How has gabby been overall? Considering dropping him for okposo. I get one trade all year

Hot and cold is right. And cold as ice right now. But if you've got only one trade all year hang on to him and save it for a better deal.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

You are correct, I would trade them straight up, for a few reasons, no he's not a game breaker but he is a rock solid third line player and effective penalty killer with a little scoring touch and a great leader in the room. I don't agree that he took "dumb" penalties, most of his penalties were off setting, majors or hustle penalties, not lazy penalties or dumb penalties.

But one of the main reasons I said that, and didn't expand on because I was at work, was the price tag, Gaborik 7.5 million, Dorse maybe a million, so you have 6 million to go sign someone that doesn't float and you have a replacement and upgrade for Umberger, who you can buyout at years end. Not to mention he was a huge fan favorite and left it all on the ice every night. I would take a guy like that, who's hustling, and playing his ass off, over a high priced floater all day long. His energy was contagious. Gaborik isn't going to be back and the best we are looking at is a 2nd rounder or late first rounder that is 4 years+ away from having a shot at the team.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Dorse was far more useful than Boll will ever be. Having said that, I don't know what this has to do with Gaborik other than some insane hope/thought/suggestion perhaps of sending Gaborik back for Dorse.

I don't honestly think it will happen, it was a comment out of anger and frustration, however, I would absolutely do that trade, see my explanation above, makes sense. Though, i know it won't happen...

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe move him for picks and take a run at Vanek?

:)
jk

I think Vanek is unrealistic and while teams are going after him, I would go after Matt Moulson(which could also be unrealistic). He is a due for a raise and giving him a big pay raise might be risky but I think it would be worth it. Would you wait for July 1st and hope he makes it into free agency or make a trade with Buffalo now and have first dibs at him? Assuming Buffalo will trade him because of his status and would bring in more assets for their rebuild. Who is worth more in a trade? Moulson or Gaborik? If Gaborik, trade him to Buffalo for Moulson? Hope for a sign and trade? Buffalo can then trade Gaborik at the deadline.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
10 Games ago Gaborik was fin in you guys' minds, its all because of this cold skid and losing strea that has you all sour on him. Once he scores again and we start winning, you'll all want him to stay.

IMO of course. Im not ready to give up on a former 40 goal scorer because of a slow skid.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Mods: Feel free to sticky this to save people the trouble every year:

Columbus overpaid for __________, who is now under-performing.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Mods: Feel free to sticky this to save people the trouble every year:

Columbus overpaid for __________, who is now under-performing.

__________ overpaid for __________, who is now under-performing.

There now it can be used for every forum. :sarcasm:

On the actual topic of Gaborik, I loved the idea of the trade last year (and still believe that it was worth the risk), but the execution was lacking. Gaborik may have been the only 1st line caliber player available, but I never liked Gaborik as an addition. I felt like he would not gel with the rest of the team because his play style is too different.

The big question for me is what can we get back for him, if we could flip Gaborik+ for say evander kane we would be in a great position, (Kane-Johansen-Horton) however I have a feeling it the return is going to be a roster player, a late 2014 1st round pick and some salary to make the $ work which is disappointing considering we gave up some a pretty solid (Moore in particular) if expendable package to grab him.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Many of your arguments have validity. This one, not so much.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
You can have an expensive floating underachieving streaky scorer on a deep team, but not on a team that you pretty much rely solely on him to produce points. If Gaborik isnt putting up points, we average 2 goals per game, not going to win you many games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad