Marian Gaborik

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/11/01/gm-wants-gaborik-to-lead.html

While it is still early in his tenure (22 games) with the Jackets,by my calculations he has been on a 30 goal, 37 assist pace with a cumulative plus minus of +33 pace. But Jarmo says he wants more.

I don't know. I'll take those numbers since we have no one else close and let others lead. Maybe Gabby is just a real good follower.

Is this just a negotiating ploy or do you think Jarmo is a bit unsatisfied with Gabby?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I take issue with the article linking Gaborik getting an extension with him becoming more of a leader (which is the angle that the canadian media ran with)

This is either...

a. as one of the article commentators said "something that should never have left Nationwide Arena"
or
b. a terrible attempt by Portzline to make an issue where one doesn't exist.

I'm inclined to believe that it's B. Kekalainen wouldn't have paid the price he paid for Gaborik if he didn't know what he was getting. He's "not going to turn into Mark Messier" and I don't think Kekalainen expects him to.

Plus, nobody cares about leadership and character as much as Portzline does.

Last edited:

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I take issue with the article linking Gaborik getting an extension with him becoming more of a leader (which is the angle that the canadian media ran with)

This is either...

a. as one of the article commentators said "something that should never have left Nationwide Arena"
or
b. a terrible attempt by Portzline to make an issue where one doesn't exist.

I'm inclined to believe that it's B.

Now we all know that this would never happen.:amazed::shakehead

:sarcasm: (just in case)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've been seriously impressed with Gaborik's intelligence on the ice. I was worried about acquiring him because he's lost a step and his release in particular is much slower than it used to be. But he makes a lot of smart plays and elevates his linemates.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
am i missing something? they aren't tied and neither is in top 10.

or guess they updated the stats?

hilarious to see biznasty lead that list.

hockeyanalysis has both in top ten but not tied, crosby 5th, gaborik 9th. that's among players who have played at least 100 mins though.

They did. During my insomnia episode they were tied. Based on those very important (advanced?) statistics I think Gaborik needs to play the whole game and Biznasty should be acquired via trade.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They did. During my insomnia episode they were tied. Based on those very important (advanced?) statistics I think Gaborik needs to play the whole game and Biznasty should be acquired via trade.

It's not really an advanced stat, its just scoring divided by playing time.

You were critiquing Gaborik based on a small sample size and I responded with the stats of that small sample size, which actually support the idea that Gaborik has been a very valuable player to us.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
As I've said before, unless Gaborik becomes an absolute scoring monster (and possibly even then) we are going to be better served by trading Gaborik. Look at what Vanek was traded for when it is well known around the league that he is likely headed to Minnesota after this year is done. Getting a protected 1st, a 2nd and a 30 goal scorer with an expiring contract was a pretty good deal and has likely set the market for Gaborik who is valued roughly the same value.

The ability to grab a first and a blue chip prospect for Gaborik, while also clearing 7 million+ in cap space is very attractive for a team that isn't going to compete for championships for another year or two. Building assets and talented depth for the future is very important now, so that we can strengthen the organization as it develops.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
As I've said before, unless Gaborik becomes an absolute scoring monster (and possibly even then) we are going to be better served by trading Gaborik. Look at what Vanek was traded for when it is well known around the league that he is likely headed to Minnesota after this year is done. Getting a protected 1st, a 2nd and a 30 goal scorer with an expiring contract was a pretty good deal and has likely set the market for Gaborik who is valued roughly the same value.

The ability to grab a first and a blue chip prospect for Gaborik, while also clearing 7 million+ in cap space is very attractive for a team that isn't going to compete for championships for another year or two. Building assets and talented depth for the future is very important now, so that we can strengthen the organization as it develops.

I disagree. We need NHL scoring this year and beyond. Taking a potential 40+ goal scorer out of the lineup is impossible to replace. Who within the organization is ready to step into that role? Would we replace those goals "by committee" (which we've tried and failed to do before)? If we tried to acquire a 40 goal scorer on the FA market, we'd be spending $7 million+ for about 7 years anyway.

Sorry, but at some point we have to stop relying on assets, picks, and depth forwards.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I disagree. We need NHL scoring this year and beyond. Taking a potential 40+ goal scorer out of the lineup is impossible to replace. Who within the organization is ready to step into that role? Would we replace those goals "by committee" (which we've tried and failed to do before)? If we tried to acquire a 40 goal scorer on the FA market, we'd be spending $7 million+ for about 7 years anyway.

Sorry, but at some point we have to stop relying on assets, picks, and depth forwards.

I think re-signing Gabby vs trading him will be open to ongoing debate:

Why we should re-sign him:
See above

Why we should trade him:
If he walks as a UFA we get nothing

At 31 (turns 32 in Feb) he is at his peak (or past it) and will probably want big $ for at least 5 years.

He has an injury prone history

A first and a prospect (assuming we could get that at the deadline) is nothing to sneeze at

Factors to come into play:

How he performs for the rest of the year
How the team performs once Horton returns
Where we are in the standings at the deadline
Progress being made to resign him

It is another situation where Jarmo will earn his salary.

Last edited:

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

Well, this is simply a difference of opinion. I don't have a problem paying a 40 goal scorer 7-8 million if he is in his late 20's. However I do have a problem paying one who will be 35 by the time we are going to compete for Cups, and is likely going to stop producing at that pace very soon. Add to that the fact he seems to have major consistency problems, and hasn't exactly been scoring the clutch goals and I think we would be better served in the future by trading him.

I don't think we can win championships now, I think its even odds we make the playoffs this year. However, if you think those things, or don't share my view that there is 1 winning team and 29 other losing teams every season then keeping Gaborik is the right choice. My view is that it will be better when it matters, in two or three years, to have the assets trading Gaborik brings than it will be to have a 35 year old Gaborik on a massive contract, and that is assuming we would be able to sign him and not lose him in free agency for nothing.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I think re-signing Gabby vs trading him will be open to ongoing debate:

Why we should re-sign him:
See above

Why we should trade him:
If he walks as a UFA we get nothing

At 31 he is at his peak (or past it) and will probably want big $ for at least 5 years.

He has an injury prone history

A first and a prospect (assuming we could get that at the deadline) is nothing to sneeze at

Factors to come into play:

How he performs for the rest of the year
How the team performs once Horton returns
Where we are in the standings at the deadline
Progress being made to resign him

It is another situation where Jarmo will earn his salary.

The situation will become clearer (or not) closer to the deadline. Not something that needs to be at the forefront at the moment.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You do know, don't you, what the likelihood is that a midling first-round pick will turn into an impact player? The Sabres made the right move for a rebuiding team, but you need good players to compete and right now that's Gaborik.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Hopefully going to get a nice return for him for our re-tool at the deadline.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
It's the style of Gaborik's contribution that's wrong. This team needs a strong identity and presence on the top line, not a floater who makes pretty passes and quietly racks up points. Horton will be what we need.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
It's the style of Gaborik's contribution that's wrong. This team needs a strong identity and presence on the top line, not a floater who makes pretty passes and quietly racks up points. Horton will be what we need.

We have yet to see Horton play in a CBJ sweater... for some reason when players put it on they change... we will see...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I think we need them both. Plus a top line center who can do it all -pass,finish & play defense. Joey could be that in the future but I think he is doing a good job where he is now.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Completely agree. Gaborik isn't noticiable most of the time. He doesn't skate hard through the neutral zone, he floats waiting for an invitation to the offensive zone. He doesn't drive hard to the net, doesn't make a significant contribution on the PP. He has goals against Buffalo and Calgary, Van, mediocre teams, empty netter against NJ, horrible team. And an early goal in the Toronto game. He isn't taking over games, makes the occasional nice pass but that's not his job here. But people will look at his stats and get their calculator out and put his jersey in the rafters. I think he's been average to mediocre this season. He's Zherdev with a much bigger salary. So far anyway....

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I forgot, only your opinion matters and holds true, the rest of us are just babbling idiots for you to judge

How do you know I was replying to you? Is it because you know that what you posted isn't even close to the truth? Because Gaborik does exactly what he's supposed to do given his skill-set and role, including driving the offense, finding the open areas, reading the play, playing at the front of the net and scoring goals?

How do you know I wasn't replying to the idea that a player somehow "changes" when donning a CBJ uniform? Unless what was meant was that somehow simply wearing the red, white and blue gave magical powers to players like Manny Malhotra, Jack Johnson and Mark Letestu, all of whom played/play their best hockey with the CBJ.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
How do you know I was replying to you? Is it because you know that what you posted isn't even close to the truth? Because Gaborik does exactly what he's supposed to do given his skill-set and role, including driving the offense, finding the open areas, reading the play, playing at the front of the net and scoring goals?

How do you know I wasn't replying to the idea that a player somehow "changes" when donning a CBJ uniform? Unless what was meant was that somehow simply wearing the red, white and blue gave magical powers to players like Manny Malhotra, Jack Johnson and Mark Letestu, all of whom played/play their best hockey with the CBJ.

Well unlike yourself, I respect that you can have your own opinion and my opinion is different, that's what makes this site great! I am basing my opinion on 35 years of playing hockey at all levels. I'm sure you have played many years yourself and you are allowed to see the game however you want. But you tend to just sit on top the mountain like your opinion is gospel and most others, if they disagree with you, are the village idiot. I think Gaborik could be all of those things you have said, but as of now, he's simply not, in my opinion. He has a couple more gears to reach the 40 goal player, he is leaning towards the player that was in Torts doghouse, again, in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad