Marian Gaborik

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The thing I notice about Gaborik, is he's not very hard to shut down. You saw him come down the wing last night and just get pushed to the boards, not threat at all. I dont see his blazing speed at all right now.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Things keep going the way they are, we could have at least 2 first rounders in next year's draft.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I said it when the CBJ traded for him - JK gave up too much for Gaborik.

I guess I don't care because we didn't need or we don't miss any of the players sent over. If you think we could have got more for a Brassard or Dorse, I don't buy that. Moore in the only question mark in this.

I'm still perfectly content with the trade even if we let Gaborik walk.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I guess I don't care because we didn't need or we don't miss any of the players sent over. If you think we could have got more for a Brassard or Dorse, I don't buy that. Moore in the only question mark in this.

I'm still perfectly content with the trade even if we let Gaborik walk.

agreed...if we flip Gaby for a 1st at the deadline, we are freed up to do a lot of things next offseason...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
agreed...if we flip Gaby for a 1st at the deadline, we are freed up to do a lot of things next offseason...

I hope we right things and we don't want to flip him at the deadline.

That may not imply keeping him, but we can get a second for negotiating rights.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I said it when the CBJ traded for him - JK gave up too much for Gaborik.

I had to ask if Brassard was playing last night. That was in the middle of the 2nd. I had forgotten about Dorsett until in the 3rd. I liked John Moore and think he'll be a good bottom pair guy but didn't really scream to me last night as a loss.

Now I do realize this was one game but I don't think any of those players help the CBJ now or in the future. I'm not happy with Gaborik's current play but one thing can be said about all of them except Moore. You know what you can get with each player. I'll still take Gaborik over the trio we moved.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Let's be serious for a second though. 11 pts in 14 games isn't terrible, nothing special. But Gaborik is a streaky player and is a few multi point games away from being on a PPG pace. I just hope this team doesn't live and die off of his streakyness.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Let's be serious for a second though. 11 pts in 14 games isn't terrible, nothing special. But Gaborik is a streaky player and is a few multi point games away from being on a PPG pace. I just hope this team doesn't live and die off of his streakyness.

I just hope he starts getting streaky against the good teams and not just potting points against the Buffalo's, Calgary's and New Jersey's...you take out those three awful teams games out and he's got 6 pts in 11 games.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He is as advertised. If his stats now were Rick Nash's 3 years ago in the first 15 you would all be defending his ass in the main boards if someone bashed him. He's a streaky scorer, he's our best player, and yes he could be better. 11 points in 14 is pretty good, not his usual production, but very good.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He is as advertised. If his stats now were Rick Nash's 3 years ago in the first 15 you would all be defending his ass in the main boards if someone bashed him. He's a streaky scorer, he's our best player, and yes he could be better. 11 points in 14 is pretty good, not his usual production, but very good.

He has potential to be our best player, right now I think Dubinsky is out best player all around. Pts don't equal best player always...

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
In order to score goals you have to SHOOT THE PUCK!! Something that he hasn't been doing in quite a few games now.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
In order to score goals you have to SHOOT THE PUCK!! Something that he hasn't been doing in quite a few games now.

Which is funny because I thought that's what we were paying him to do. Too many dudes trying to make pretty passes. It's like Gabby's not confident in his shot or something.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Its funny reading the replies here. They really justify my feelings for Gaborik when he was a Ranger. The guy has some all out talents that can be fun to watch. He is a pure goal scorer. At the same time he can be incredibly invisible for stretches. Sometimes I questioned his true competitiveness. Come playoff time, he refused to do the dirty work and was shut down because of it. He has all of the natural abilities, but I think its the fact that he has absolutely zero physical element to his game that holds him back.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Interesting comment from AP in today's Puckrakers :

"Putting Gaborik on a line with center Ryan Johansen would seem the next step, but Johansen's line -- he's currently with Dubinsky and Cam Atkinson -- often end up going head-to-head with the other team's top lines. That's how Richards likes to use Johansen, mano y mano against the other club's top centers. But the way Gaborik is checking and defending right now makes it impossible to put him next to Johansen."

Since that has been a recent topic for discussion in the Johansen thread, I thought this explanation was helpful.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
His days are numbered now. Too bad. I really liked that deal when GMJK finished it. Maybe things will change, but it doesn't sound too good. What can GMJK get for Gabby?

Tough to say. Gaborik's value is limited by his contract. As it stands now, only 5 teams could take on his salary without having to offload some of theirs to stay under the cap. We're either going to have to retain some salary or pick up another teams bad contract.

I think he's still got pretty high value though. Best case scenario: a very late 1st round pick and a good prospect.

Last edited:

ConoR187

Aug 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Tough to say. Gaborik's value is limited by his contract. As it stands now, only 5 teams could take on his salary without having to offload some of theirs to stay under the cap. We're either going to have to retain some salary or pick up another teams bad contract.

I think he's still got pretty high value though. Best case scenario: a very late 1st liner and a good prospect.
i assume you meant 1st rounder

if we offload this guy for a 1st rounder and a prospect i will flip ****.. we should look for nhl quality wingers

hopefully we can swindle some team out of a good player or two based on gaboriks past success, dudes been a complete different player from his 40 goal days

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
i assume you meant 1st rounder

Yep.

if we offload this guy for a 1st rounder and a prospect i will flip ****.. we should look for nhl quality wingers

hopefully we can swindle some team out of a good player or two based on gaboriks past success, dudes been a complete different player from his 40 goal days

It'll be tough to get a good return for Gaborik if we're looking for players who can play now. He's a UFA, so bad teams aren't going to want him and the good teams aren't going to want to give up a good current NHLer for him.

I'll be shocked if Gaborik is moved before the February. We've been hearing all along how management is waiting for the team to get healthy before deciding what to do. Who knows, if the team plays well when Horton comes back, maybe we end up re-signing him.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The thing I notice about Gaborik, is he's not very hard to shut down. You saw him come down the wing last night and just get pushed to the boards, not threat at all. I dont see his blazing speed at all right now.

I was wondering the same, if Gaborik is as fast as he once was.The Bruins need a dash of speed and are rumored to be looking for a forward.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I was wondering the same, if Gaborik is as fast as he once was.The Bruins need a dash of speed and are rumored to be looking for a forward.

Really? You are going to mention a cap team for a 7+ million dollar player?

Maybe at the deadline if we are out of it.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
In Tuesday's game against the Sens, Gaborik could easily have had three points. On one, he was among a group of Jackets controlling the puck around the Ottawa goal. No one could put the puck home. On another, he had a close-in shot, which was either saved or deflected by a defenseman. On a third, he made a nifty drop pass into the slot where one Jacket failed to attempt a shot and a follow-up player, with an opportunity to capitalize on the play, shot off-net.

Zero points, but lots of the kind of play this team needs.

Gaborik appeared slow at times, and he certainly could have been more engaged than he was on Tuesday. The quantity of his good play has dipped in the last 3-4 contests. But he's still doing things no one else on the roster seems to be able to.

He's a heady player who works hard to get to scoring areas and make himself available when a teammate has the puck - watching him off the puck in the offensive zone is a treat. He's also creative with the puck, if not a classic dangler, which he's never really been. He initiates offensive play, finds scoring areas, and works hard at the front of the net.

Do I wish he was scoring more? Sure! I wish the entire roster was scoring more. For most goals, three players get points. When a player doesn't score, he's not just keeping himself off the scoresheet.
This post is very true, especially bolded parts.

To all BJ fans, you've got what you see. Extremely streaky goalscorer. With age on the wrong side of 30's his highs and lows are more and more noticeable. In his second Rangers season (22 goals) he scored 4+3+3 in three games. Yes, almost 50% of his season record came in 3 games. Wonderful.
Expect lite verion of Bure - pure goal scorer, floater and glass man. Expecting hard physical work, big time playmaking or dangling is a flaw.

Gaborik is the type of player, which benefits not from strong playmaker (obviously it doesn't hurt), but from long passes from offensive defensman. I hope he will find good chemistry with Wiz.

Good luck.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Don't go on the trade boards if you take offense to trade ideas like Gaborik for 2 third liners and second round pick. This will be bad. I know why he's on the block. If the mantra of this team is hard work, aggressive forechecking, Gaborik does not fit. I still think that the trade was more about moving bad contracts than actually acquiring Gaborik. If GMJK can get a team to take on all of Gabby's salary in exchange for a roster player and a first round pick, then I consider this a win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad