Marian Gaborik

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Seems even Gaborik himself agrees with me...

Gaborik: "I Can Do Better"
Posted Nov 7, 2013

As Wednesday's practice was winding down, Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards and right wing Marian Gaborik skated off to the side for a lengthy conversation. It was not a heated or animated discussion, but Gaborik didn't care to reveal the topic after practice.

"That's between me and Richie," Gaborik said.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
tell me how he's playing so well and i'm not able to see it

by, "you guys", I mean Gaborik apologists

I can see you'll be open to a reasoned consideration of opposing opinion, ca. I mean, practically everything you've posted in this thread screams "I think it's possible to have a reasoned discussion on this topic!"

But since you've asked so nicely, and since I promised you feedback if you addressed your faulty assertions in this thread...

In Tuesday's game against the Sens, Gaborik could easily have had three points. On one, he was among a group of Jackets controlling the puck around the Ottawa goal. No one could put the puck home. On another, he had a close-in shot, which was either saved or deflected by a defenseman. On a third, he made a nifty drop pass into the slot where one Jacket failed to attempt a shot and a follow-up player, with an opportunity to capitalize on the play, shot off-net.

Zero points, but lots of the kind of play this team needs.

Gaborik appeared slow at times, and he certainly could have been more engaged than he was on Tuesday. The quantity of his good play has dipped in the last 3-4 contests. But he's still doing things no one else on the roster seems to be able to.

He's a heady player who works hard to get to scoring areas and make himself available when a teammate has the puck - watching him off the puck in the offensive zone is a treat. He's also creative with the puck, if not a classic dangler, which he's never really been. He initiates offensive play, finds scoring areas, and works hard at the front of the net.

Do I wish he was scoring more? Sure! I wish the entire roster was scoring more. For most goals, three players get points. When a player doesn't score, he's not just keeping himself off the scoresheet.

Do I wish he made less money? I guess. It's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens moving forward.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Seems even Gaborik himself agrees with me...

Gaborik: "I Can Do Better"
Posted Nov 7, 2013

As Wednesday's practice was winding down, Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards and right wing Marian Gaborik skated off to the side for a lengthy conversation. It was not a heated or animated discussion, but Gaborik didn't care to reveal the topic after practice.

"That's between me and Richie," Gaborik said.

I can see you'll be open to a reasoned consideration of opposing opinion, ca. I mean, practically everything you've posted in this thread screams "I think it's possible to have a reasoned discussion on this topic!"

But since you've asked so nicely, and since I promised you feedback if you addressed your faulty assertions in this thread...

In Tuesday's game against the Sens, Gaborik could easily have had three points. On one, he was among a group of Jackets controlling the puck around the Ottawa goal. No one could put the puck home. On another, he had a close-in shot, which was either saved or deflected by a defenseman. On a third, he made a nifty drop pass into the slot where one Jacket failed to attempt a shot and a follow-up player, with an opportunity to capitalize on the play, shot off-net.

Gaborik appeared slow at times, and he certainly could have been more engaged than he was on Tuesday. The quantity of his good play has dipped in the last 3-4 contests. But he's still doing things no one else on the roster seems to be able to.

He's a heady player who works hard to get to scoring areas and make himself available when a teammate has the puck - watching him off the puck in the offensive zone is a treat. He's also creative with the puck, if not a classic dangler, which he's never really been. He initiates offensive play, finds scoring areas, and works hard at the front of the net.

Do I wish he was scoring more? Sure! I wish the entire roster was scoring more. For most goals, three players get points. When a player doesn't score, he's not just keeping himself off the scoresheet.

Do I wish he made less money? I guess. It's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens moving forward.

You're both correct: Gaborik is doing things nobody else on the roster can and he can still do more.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Amusing. I didn't realize that acknowledging is a streaky top line player was controversial enough to be considered an apologist.

Sounds like someone has an overblown imagination.

As far as I can tell, most people have Gaborik in the proper context. Management wants to see him elevate his game before committing to him. That is perfectly fair and reasonable.

For him not showing up against the better teams, let's look at 11/12 for a minute. Just random numbers against playoff teams.

Pens - 2G 3A in 6G
Flyers - 4G 5A in 6G
NJ - 3G 2A in 6G
Boston - 4G 1A in 5G
Sens - 3G 2A in 4G
Florida - 2G 2A in 4G
Caps - 1G 0A in 4G

His playoffs weren't that great with 5G and 6A in 20 games, but overall he's had 18G in 54G which is pretty decent.

Last season he scored another 3 goals against the Bruins and put up 4 points in 4 games against the Blues and Sharks with us. He had 4 points against Toronto and 4 against the Islanders (both playoff teams).

I'm really not sure I'm seeing anything that unusual in the historical records I'm looking at, in the East.

Since he's been in the East he's done very well against the Bruins, well to very well against the Pens, and feasted in the Islanders and Maple Leafs. It's been, predictably hit or miss with some of the other teams in the league. One year he would do very well against the Caps or Flyers and slip another year.

I don't now what the drama is about. We've taken a snapshot of his games early this season and made judgements about his abilities against the better teams that really just don't hold up when you look at the historical data - at least in the East.

As far as this year. He started off hot, slumped a bit, but I thought he was more dangerous the last game. That is the kind of thing I expect with Gaborik.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Amusing. I didn't realize that acknowledging is a streaky top line player was controversial enough to be considered an apologist.

Sounds like someone has an overblown imagination.

As far as I can tell, most people have Gaborik in the proper context. Management wants to see him elevate his game before committing to him. That is perfectly fair and reasonable.

For him not showing up against the better teams, let's look at 11/12 for a minute. Just random numbers against playoff teams.

Pens - 2G 3A in 6G
Flyers - 4G 5A in 6G
NJ - 3G 2A in 6G
Boston - 4G 1A in 5G
Sens - 3G 2A in 4G
Florida - 2G 2A in 4G
Caps - 1G 0A in 4G

His playoffs weren't that great with 5G and 6A in 20 games, but overall he's had 18G in 54G which is pretty decent.

Last season he scored another 3 goals against the Bruins and put up 4 points in 4 games against the Blues and Sharks with us. He had 4 points against Toronto and 4 against the Islanders (both playoff teams).

I'm really not sure I'm seeing anything that unusual in the historical records I'm looking at, in the East.

Since he's been in the East he's done very well against the Bruins, well to very well against the Pens, and feasted in the Islanders and Maple Leafs. It's been, predictably hit or miss with some of the other teams in the league. One year he would do very well against the Caps or Flyers and slip another year.

I don't now what the drama is about. We've taken a snapshot of his games early this season and made judgements about his abilities against the better teams that really just don't hold up when you look at the historical data - at least in the East.

As far as this year. He started off hot, slumped a bit, but I thought he was more dangerous the last game. That is the kind of thing I expect with Gaborik.

I was talking about this season with the Jackets, I could care less what he did before he came here. I'm waiting to see it with our sweater on.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Probably best to just agree to disagree and hope he gets a hat trick tonight against his former club:)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I was talking about this season with the Jackets, I could care less what he did before he came here. I'm waiting to see it with our sweater on.

Sweet. I could have sworn I gave examples from last season after the trade as well.

It doesn't matter what anyone says or what evidence they provide, you are simply going drone on and on and on about a limited split.

Most, if not all of us, have agreed that we would like to see more before we consider offering him another contract. What else do you want? This isn't anything resembling the Nash cult that was going on for a while.

Find another dead cow.

At any rate, I did my best to show you the errors of your ways. You want to preach evidence, but yet you want to make sweeping declarations based on a small sample size. Your like a shining example of contractions. When someone says something that discounts what you say, you deflect and approach from an equally unreasoned angle.

If you just say "I don't like how he's performed against good teams this season and I want to see more before we consider offering another contract. Frankly I don't think he will because I don't think he has the heart.", you probably won't get a lot of disagreement. I wouldn't agree with the last part, but I would agree that he needs to disprove that theory.

I provided a lot of evidence that history suggests that this might just simply be a slump, but you just discount it with a sweeping comment. What that means is that you really just don't want to hear anything other than "He sucks". You really don't want to hear anything in his defense and if you do hear something reasonable you just seem to want to make people feel like idiots for having that opinion.

Good day.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Probably best to just agree to disagree and hope he gets a hat trick tonight against his former club:)

I gave you at least three concessions. You have no response to either of the following?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think he disappears in the big games, look at the stats closer than 5 goals in 13 games. the combined record of teams he has scored against, 31-36-8. Teams he has been goal-less against 72-39-6. It's easy to capitalize against bad teams. No power play goals, no game winning goals. And is on a 3 game pointless streak when we played 2 first place teams. What am I missing that you think he's doing so well?

You're using a 13 game sample set? I have the impression you formed this opinion before you checked anything at all.

This makes me think of Winston Churchill and Brian Burke

Statistics are like a lamp post to a drunk. Useful for support but not for illumination.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I hate that. You still both disagree, you may just be agreeing to shut up about it.

Sorry, pet peeve. Carry on.

I said that because there is no arguing your point with one of the "made" men or women on this page, you can't win. There are 6 or 7 that just pile on and argue semantics and copy and paste you to death, until you get tired and give up. So I am not going to try. You guys are all right and my opinion is **** so I'll just shut up and stop trying to get a word in with your little club. I always regret trying to talk hockey with the people on here, always. Nobody is allowed a different opinion than the "mods". Go Jackets.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sweet. I could have sworn I gave examples from last season after the trade as well.

It doesn't matter what anyone says or what evidence they provide, you are simply going drone on and on and on about a limited split.

Most, if not all of us, have agreed that we would like to see more before we consider offering him another contract. What else do you want? This isn't anything resembling the Nash cult that was going on for a while.

Find another dead cow.

At any rate, I did my best to show you the errors of your ways. You want to preach evidence, but yet you want to make sweeping declarations based on a small sample size. Your like a shining example of contractions. When someone says something that discounts what you say, you deflect and approach from an equally unreasoned angle.

If you just say "I don't like how he's performed against good teams this season and I want to see more before we consider offering another contract. Frankly I don't think he will because I don't think he has the heart.", you probably won't get a lot of disagreement. I wouldn't agree with the last part, but I would agree that he needs to disprove that theory.

I provided a lot of evidence that history suggests that this might just simply be a slump, but you just discount it with a sweeping comment. What that means is that you really just don't want to hear anything other than "He sucks". You really don't want to hear anything in his defense and if you do hear something reasonable you just seem to want to make people feel like idiots for having that opinion.

Good day.

My entire discussion on this thread was about this season, I didn't have a big complaint about his play with us last season, though he floated some last year as well. So it's great that you went into the record books and compiled all those old stats, but I'm only interested in this season and that was my opinion on this season. Sorry if I didn't word it like you wanted, or read all the past threads to have a good hold of what the boards opinion is...My opinion is he could be great for us, but he's not performing great, period. Nothing much else to say. I'm not going to change anyone's opinion and nobody is going to change mine. I sure hope he catches fire tonight and goes nuts the rest of the season, I have nothing against the guy except I think he's been a floater for long stretches this season. Thats all i have to say. Good day to you too.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm going to play devil's advocate on the side of ca5150 here.

Double-Shift Lassé said:

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. At the end of the day, how many points did he put up? One could argue he's getting paid to get results, not just chances. And when chances aren't translating into results for a player like Gaborik, isn't that a big red flag?

Like, before the games against the Bruins and Penguins we heard that Gaborik traditionally puts up good numbers against them. But he didn't in those games. Sure, it's early in the season, and sure he isn't getting much support from teammates. That said, doesn't a part of you go "uh-oh..." even if it's a small one?

Personally, I believe we need more players like Gaborik and not less. I hope we keep him past this season provided he's interested in playing here. That said, if Gaborik and the team aren't on the same page regarding his role that could be a problem that will compound over time.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
It's time for a winning goal from Gabby... in fact, the only goals I want from him are the kind that help the team win hockey games.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm going to play devil's advocate on the side of ca5150 here.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. At the end of the day, how many points did he put up? One could argue he's getting paid to get results, not just chances. And when chances aren't translating into results for a player like Gaborik, isn't that a big red flag?

Like, before the games against the Bruins and Penguins we heard that Gaborik traditionally puts up good numbers against them. But he didn't in those games. Sure, it's early in the season, and sure he isn't getting much support from teammates. That said, doesn't a part of you go "uh-oh..." even if it's a small one?

Personally, I believe we need more players like Gaborik and not less. I hope we keep him past this season provided he's interested in playing here. That said, if Gaborik and the team aren't on the same page regarding his role that could be a problem that will compound over time.

Totally agree, we have 68 games left, I want to see him turn it around and control the games a little more. You don't see exciting goals or almost goals from him so far this year, when a player like Ovie is in a slump, he's all over the ice and you notice him, I just don't notice Gaborik for long stretches. With his speed, you would think he would get the occasional break away, but I can't think of the last time he got one. If you look at the goals he got so far, they were slam dunks in open nets or literally an open net goal. I want to see him beat some players one on one for a scoring chance tonight!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Totally agree, we have 68 games left, I want to see him turn it around and control the games a little more. You don't see exciting goals or almost goals from him so far this year, when a player like Ovie is in a slump, he's all over the ice and you notice him, I just don't notice Gaborik for long stretches. With his speed, you would think he would get the occasional break away, but I can't think of the last time he got one. If you look at the goals he got so far, they were slam dunks in open nets or literally an open net goal. I want to see him beat some players one on one for a scoring chance tonight!
To be fair, Gaborik has always been a streaky player who has one objective - to score goals.

Also, breakaways rely on more than just the player like Gaborik. You need a good long pass and you need a major defensive gaffe. Most of our players aren't good enough to spring Gaborik on the fly and most NHL teams have adopted a strategy which focuses on eliminating odd man chances.

I'd like to see him straight up beat a goaltender on a hard, accurate snipe shot from the dots. That is an aspect of his game that has been missing dating back to last season. I'm not concerned that his speed or his skill with the puck has left him, but his shot doesn't seem to be on par with what it once was with the Wild or his first few seasons with the Rangers.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Most of our players aren't good enough to spring Gaborik on the fly
Ryan Murray :)

Seriously I've already seen him make a few passes that seemingly caught the pass recipient offguard. Like full ice tape to tape passes.

But on topic I agree with most of what you said. I really think the squad will start to heat back up when Jenner and Calvert get back into the lineup and get their legs back under them. Hopefully that should relieve some offensive pressure and allow Gaborik to kickstart his goal scoring again. And if were lucky and Horton can return to boost Gaborik goal total up into that 30-40 range we are all hoping for.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Interesting.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I said that because there is no arguing your point with one of the "made" men or women on this page, you can't win. There are 6 or 7 that just pile on and argue semantics and copy and paste you to death, until you get tired and give up. So I am not going to try. You guys are all right and my opinion is **** so I'll just shut up and stop trying to get a word in with your little club. I always regret trying to talk hockey with the people on here, always. Nobody is allowed a different opinion than the "mods". Go Jackets.

So what you're saying is people who don't change their mind or at least acknowledge differing opinion are "made"? You need look no further than your own posts in this thread, then, for "made" posts.

Then, when asked to acknowledge the basis for differing opinion, you pull this "ooo, I guess my opinion doesn't matter," schtick, rather than address it.

You claim to want to share thoughts on an all-opinions-equal basis, but it seems like what you want to do is rant and rave and then ***** about people not agreeing with you. If that's not what you're about, you've got a ways to go to show it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yes, when a player makes the right play to set up his teammate an that teammate doesn't capitalize, a little part of me does go "uh-oh."

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
1 shot on goal tonight, and it wasn't much of a shot at that...brings his total to 6 shots the last 5 games...It's a major problem when you aren't scoring and aren't getting chances, he's not the only problem by a long shot, but he's supposed to be producing and he's not

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Hard to get behind re-signing a guy so dependent on explosiveness when he's already lost a step and in his early 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad