Kings News: Marian Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Matt Frattin + 2nd + Cond 3rd

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't know...BUFF has done pretty well against Lombardi in trades.

The Kings did win the Donald Audette trade! Though I think the Sabres pulled one over Dave Taylor when they sent Erik Rasmussen here. Also wasn't too fond of the Vladimir Tsyplakov trade. But they all evened out, considering how badly the Kings ripped Buffalo off for Mike Donnelly.

I don't know if remembering these obscure trades between the Kings and Sabres is a gift or a curse since they bring up so many mixed emotions...

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
The Kings did win the Donald Audette trade! Though I think the Sabres pulled one over Dave Taylor when they sent Erik Rasmussen here. Also wasn't too fond of the Vladimir Tsyplakov trade. But they all evened out, considering how badly the Kings ripped Buffalo off for Mike Donnelly.

I don't know if remembering these obscure trades between the Kings and Sabres is a gift or a curse since they bring up so many mixed emotions...

I was talking about in Lombardi era, but Audette's another interesting name from the past. Refresh my memory, how did we acquire Audette? When I think about past BUFF trades from the 80s, I'm thinking about acquiring likes of Larry Playfair and Ken Baumgartner. I LOVED the goons back then.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Audette was in a contract stalemate with the Sabres and was holding out and hadn't appeared in any games that season until the Kings acquired him for a 2nd round pick (which the Sabres used to select Milan Bartovic). Audette was very productive with the Kings, until he whined about his ice time, got in Andy Murray's doghouse, and was sent packing to Atlanta along with Frantisek Kaberle for Kelly Buchberger and Nelson Emerson.

There's one other significant trade the two teams made that I'd like to forget about...

Captain Mittens*

Mair for Assmussen was a loss too.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Then Taylor and Co tried to sell him as "the top six winger" they'd been looking for. :shakehead

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I don't know...BUFF has done pretty well against Lombardi in trades.

The McNabb trade will take years before it can be fully evaluated but right now it doesn't look bad at all for DL. McNabb and two 2nds for Fasching and Deslauriers is not a bad return. If Fasching doesn't pan out that's a hose job.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Then Taylor and Co tried to sell him as "the top six winger" they'd been looking for. :shakehead

Never forget.

http://www.sabrespace.com/2002/07/24/kings-acquire-forward-erik-rasmussen/
'"Erik will upgrade our team speed and size, and his physical style of play makes him difficult to play against," said Taylor. "He has an offensive upside and we feel strongly that with his size, speed and talent, he has a chance to be a legitimate power forward in the NHL."'

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jul/25/sports/sp-kings25
"He has not been given a lot of offensive opportunities," Taylor said. "He may have the ability to develop into a power forward who can put the puck in the net. If he gets on a line with [Jason] Allison or [Bryan] Smolinski, guys who can move the puck, with his size and strength he can be effective.

"I think he has the [potential] to play among our top six forwards, and at the very least is an excellent third-line player."

Thankfully the Kings have stopped shopping in the bargain bin to fill top six roles under Dean Lombardi.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The McNabb trade will take years before it can be fully evaluated but right now it doesn't look bad at all for DL. McNabb and two 2nds for Fasching and Deslauriers is not a bad return. If Fasching doesn't pan out that's a hose job.

Fasching has looked extremely promising in College.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Fasching has looked extremely promising in College.

I'm well aware however he's in college, not the NHL, hence why I said it'll take years to fully evaluate the trade. Plenty of players have put up good college showings in their rookie year and then gone on to do far less in the NHL, ask Hugh Jessiman.

My point was that if Fasching doesn't pan out fully we win that deal. I also think it's pretty telling that DL and Co. would be willing to trade Fasching in the first place considering the season he's having.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not really sure the Kings soured on Fasching at all, it was just the cost to bring in a guy with the upside of McNabb.

Lombardi knew he had to address the defensive talent in the organization, it was becoming pretty apparent that while having some nice depth it was more quantity over quality in the system, especially with the uncertainty over Gravel.

McNabb is essentially filling the role that the Kings expected Derek Forbort to fill when they drafted him over four years ago.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Not really sure the Kings soured on Fasching at all, it was just the cost to bring in a guy with the upside of McNabb.

Lombardi knew he had to address the defensive talent in the organization, it was becoming pretty apparent that while having some nice depth it was more quantity over quality in the system, especially with the uncertainty over Gravel.

McNabb is essentially filling the role that the Kings expected Derek Forbort to fill when they drafted him over four years ago.

There wasn't enough time between draft and trade for any souring. To me this feels like Lombardi doing homework and finding out McNabb may be available and then showing interest in McNabb to Bufallo and Tim Murray proposing back a deal where they get pieces they need too.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm well aware however he's in college, not the NHL, hence why I said it'll take years to fully evaluate the trade. Plenty of players have put up good college showings in their rookie year and then gone on to do far less in the NHL, ask Hugh Jessiman.

My point was that if Fasching doesn't pan out fully we win that deal. I also think it's pretty telling that DL and Co. would be willing to trade Fasching in the first place considering the season he's having.
There's a possibillity nobody ''wins'' and that all players turn into nothing.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Thankfully the Kings have stopped shopping in the bargain bin to fill top six roles under Dean Lombardi.

Have they? J-Dub and Gaborik were definitely buy low, and Gaborik's price screams bargain bin for a top 6 player.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Have they? J-Dub and Gaborik were definitely buy low, and Gaborik's price screams bargain bin for a top 6 player.

But those guys had a history of excelling and succeeding as scorers and had proven they belong there. Unlike a Trent Klatt or Erik Rasmussen who were trying to be forced in as top six forwards on a team of pretenders.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
But those guys had a history of excelling and succeeding as scorers and had proven they belong there. Unlike a Trent Klatt or Erik Rasmussen who were trying to be forced in as top six forwards on a team of pretenders.

Exactly. Bargain bin <> dumpster dive. DT was constantly trying to turn straw into gold. Whereas DL was restoring fine art.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, Taylor was working without a cap. Without the cap, Richards and Carter most likely aren't Kings. At least not the way it went down, since the Flyers could've just added Bryzgalov for all that money and not had to trade Carter to Columbus to open up the cap space.

Taylor made some good moves back then. It's just that after Allison and Deadmarsh went down, there wasn't much else to do. Once that happened, it became all about trying to stay competitive after getting to the playoffs 3 straight years. Those two never came back, Palffy got hurt, the lockout happened, then bringing in Conroy, Roenick, and Demitra, and then Taylor seeing the team in his last year as GM slowly fall apart.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Yeah, Taylor was working without a cap. Without the cap, Richards and Carter most likely aren't Kings. At least not the way it went down, since the Flyers could've just added Bryzgalov for all that money and not had to trade Carter to Columbus to open up the cap space.

Taylor made some good moves back then. It's just that after Allison and Deadmarsh went down, there wasn't much else to do. Once that happened, it became all about trying to stay competitive after getting to the playoffs 3 straight years. Those two never came back, Palffy got hurt, the lockout happened, then bringing in Conroy, Roenick, and Demitra, and then Taylor seeing the team in his last year as GM slowly fall apart.

The difference between Taylor and Lombardi besides the painfully obvious is that Taylor tried to tell King fans what they would be seeing while Lombardi just pulled back the curtain and said take a look. That's why Taylor hasn't been a GM since and might not ever get a nod again, he has tunnel vision, he was stuck on size and was in denial when it came to skill or upside.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Taylor certainly had some bad luck with injuries but his drafting was awful up until his final draft.

Between 2001 and 2004 the Kings had 7 first round picks and ended up drafting one player who stuck with the team, and that includes three picks in 2003, the best draft in most of our lifetimes.

Dave salvaged his legacy in 2005, and the Kings have zero cups without Kopitar and Quick, but those previous years sealed his own fate.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007

FRATTIN_672_092413.jpg

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
He didn't work out, but at the time it appeared like a fair deal. But most people will complain and act like Dean didn't take the best offer possible. And you can bet money on Matt Read's name being mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad