Kings News: Marian Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Matt Frattin + 2nd + Cond 3rd

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I have no idea what DL is talking about with the comments about the summer of 09. He says the Kings weren't ready for that type of player, yet a couple of days after missing out on Gaborik, with all the rumors saying it was the Kings not willing to go five years he brings in a declining Ryan Smyth for only a mill less than Gaborik was reportedly going to sign for (cap hit)

I still say the whole Gaborik/Smyth fiasco was AEG being cheap with the Kings (something that has thankfully ended). Smyth's contract was front loaded and AEG was also able to dump Preissing rather than bury him in Manchester. They saved plenty of actual money but made their hockey team significantly worse.

But saying "we weren't ready for that type of player" is not a very honest assessment of what happened.

Lombardi is doing Lawyer speak in that interview, NEVER admit GUILT.

Rumor is Lombardi was quite the Lawyer.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Gaborik was decent tonight, but it's important not to micro-analyze. It's one game. I think it's clear that Kopi and JDub are the grinders on that line, and it's Cookie Monster's job to get open in the slot and get to the net.

He's a big presence on the PP and causes defenders to back off. This may not sound like a huge deal, but the Kings have had lots of problems with teams that have been very aggressive because of lack of puck movement and speed. Great release as well. Deadly wrister.

At even strength, he was nothing special, but, again, it's his first game in a Kings uni.

Look forward to seeing what he can do.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I honestly believe Smyth was a preferential target at the time. Dean was still trying to build a culture and Smyth was exactly the kind of guy he felt fit that goal. That was a very typical Dean Lombardi decision, IMO.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I honestly believe Smyth was a preferential target at the time. Dean was still trying to build a culture and Smyth was exactly the kind of guy he felt fit that goal. That was a very typical Dean Lombardi decision, IMO.

Then why actively pursue Gaborik on July 1st if the ultimate goal was to get Smyth? I'm sure they knew they could get Smyth as Colorado was fed up, but why come so close to signing Gaborik.

Plus, there were plenty of attitude questions with Smyth. Remember the whole fiasco with leaving EDM and then that was followed up with rumors that he was a bad apple in Denver and ofcourse the crap he pulled here and the stuff he has pulled in his return to Edmonton. This isn't exactly Steve Yzerman we are talking about.

I think DL (or likely AEG) thought they could get better deal with paying Smyth $4 mill in actual cash and dumping Preissing and it backfired when Smyth pretty much ceased to be an NHL caliber player in the second half of both seasons here. Luckily for us he was looking ahead to his next contract and forced a move to EDM, because if he doesn't there probably is no cup in 2012.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
You actively pursue Gaborik because it's Gaborik. If I remember correctly, there was more interest from Gaborik's camp, anyway. It wasn't like how we courted Kovalchuk or had the whole video sales job with Brad Richards. Dean offered a three year deal, NYR offered five, Gaborik gave Dean a chance to match and he said no.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I have no idea what DL is talking about with the comments about the summer of 09. He says the Kings weren't ready for that type of player, yet a couple of days after missing out on Gaborik, with all the rumors saying it was the Kings not willing to go five years he brings in a declining Ryan Smyth for only a mill less than Gaborik was reportedly going to sign for (cap hit)

I still say the whole Gaborik/Smyth fiasco was AEG being cheap with the Kings (something that has thankfully ended). Smyth's contract was front loaded and AEG was also able to dump Preissing rather than bury him in Manchester. They saved plenty of actual money but made their hockey team significantly worse.

But saying "we weren't ready for that type of player" is not a very honest assessment of what happened.

I think Dean is talking about the locker room more than a high priced winger. Gaborik has had open problems with a few of his coaches. It is about having that $7.5 million demanding winger in the locker room.

I remember back then that Gaborik had interest, and it is not like you just turn players of his caliber away if they want to play here, but that contract is very hard to match. He would have been the highest paid King which Dean respects as a status symbol in the locker room, like Holland does with the Wings.

He was trying to develop a culture in the locker room and the leadership group wasn't ready for an ego driven star player is what he is getting at. Though he couldn't say no if the price is right.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think Dean is talking about the locker room more than a high priced winger. Gaborik has had open problems with a few of his coaches. It is about having that $7.5 million demanding winger in the locker room.

I remember back then that Gaborik had interest, and it is not like you just turn players of his caliber away if they want to play here, but that contract is very hard to match. He would have been the highest paid King which Dean respects as a status symbol in the locker room, like Holland does with the Wings.

He was trying to develop a culture in the locker room and the leadership group wasn't ready for an ego driven star player is what he is getting at. Though he couldn't say no if the price is right.

First off building a culture with Ryan Smyth? Are you just going to ignore the issues he had in his previous stops and ultimately had with the Kings? You want to talk about the ultimate ego driven "star" no one fits that bill more than Ryan Smyth. And as for Gaborik having a symbol as the highest paid player on the team, wasn't Smyth the highest paid King his first season with the club? Or had Kopitar's extension kicked in by then?

Second, the Kings were in intense discussions with Gaborik and the deal reportedly fell apart because the Kings didn't want to go five years, which is funny because the Kings acquired him in the final year of the contract. The Kings did not sign Gaborik because of "culture" "fit" or anything like that, it was strictly a financial decision. They went to Best Buy and instead of buying the new top of the line TV they bought an older model open box item that ultimately stopped working in two years. It happens, not blaming anyone, just think it's some pretty amazing revisionist history from Lombardi.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
First off building a culture with Ryan Smyth? Are you just going to ignore the issues he had in his previous stops and ultimately had with the Kings? You want to talk about the ultimate ego driven "star" no one fits that bill more than Ryan Smyth. And as for Gaborik having a symbol as the highest paid player on the team, wasn't Smyth the highest paid King his first season with the club? Or had Kopitar's extension kicked in by then?

Second, the Kings were in intense discussions with Gaborik and the deal reportedly fell apart because the Kings didn't want to go five years, which is funny because the Kings acquired him in the final year of the contract. The Kings did not sign Gaborik because of "culture" "fit" or anything like that, it was strictly a financial decision. They went to Best Buy and instead of buying the new top of the line TV they bought an older model open box item that ultimately stopped working in two years. It happens, not blaming anyone, just think it's some pretty amazing revisionist history from Lombardi.

I don't think I'd sensationalize it as revisionist history. It is a single sentence without context. We are just speculating and grasping at straws over what it meant. If you really want to know, find a way to ask him. Seriously, write him a letter, you'd be surprised how often that works.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Dean didn't want to go five years because of the injury concerns at that high of a cap hit. I believe Gaborik was his primary target as he was obviously a better choice at the time to be a winger for Kopitar.

This team going into that Summer was one Top-6 player from being a playoff team. This board was starving for them to just do something since the team had gone seven straight seasons without making the playoffs. He wouldn't go long-term with Gaborik so he went with a back-up plan in The Ghost.

Great day when he was traded.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don't think I'd sensationalize it as revisionist history. It is a single sentence without context. We are just speculating and grasping at straws over what it meant. If you really want to know, find a way to ask him. Seriously, write him a letter, you'd be surprised how often that works.

It doesn't mean that much, I just saw that interview and that part about not being ready for that type of player just seemed really odd to me since he pursued him so actively and ultimately acquired a player with a similar cap hit who was expected to play a similar role only two days later.

Again, I think it's Dean just covering for his bosses in this situation.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It doesn't mean that much, I just saw that interview and that part about not being ready for that type of player just seemed really odd to me since he pursued him so actively and ultimately acquired a player with a similar cap hit who was expected to play a similar role only two days later.

Again, I think it's Dean just covering for his bosses in this situation.

I think it had less to do with dollars and cents and more to do with health and injury history. Gaborik's injuries were much more serious then than they are now.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I like this trade, lets just hope Gaborik can stay healthy.

I was trawling through highlights of Gaborik just for a refresher course on what we were getting and came across his two fights. He obviously isn't a scrapper but shows he's not going to back down.

any guesses on who his fight card consists of?

Lappy and Carcillo

Probably just coincidence but it makes me wonder if part of the reason for shedding Carcillo was he had Gaborik lined up in January and thought they had history.

Highly unlikely but who knows.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/8122

Duc620

Mar 17, 2010

And thirdly, it is possible, even likely, there were and are more variables Lombardi and his Think Tank considered other than the classic "culture vs best player". Things are not so simply stated as, "Lombardi is revising his legacy" (as if he had the need) or, "AEG is/was cheap". We should be regularly impressed with how the New Kings admin considers so many items, development paths, check boxes, years, contracts and caps, while staying flexible and willing to improvise. And yet throughout, they've managed to grow and push this franchise to elite status. It has been an amazing ride.

"... revisionist...." ? Or maybe just some reality and insider information released to fans after it wouldn't harm anyone?

Think about it.

GKG!!

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Just an unreal trade. Talk about getting a 40 goal scorer (when healthy) for nothing.

Good luck with him guys, he didn't perform for us, at all. He floats around, there is no sign of that speed or shot. The goals he got were great setups from other guys. He didn't create anything. I'm glad to send him packing, even though Frattin is a throw in that will be in the press box from now on. Everyone wanted to point to his 40 goal seasons and call him an elite scorer. But he went many games without a shot on goal, I particularly remember a weekend home and home with Pitt where he had no shots in either game. He was invisible in any big game. Maybe he'll do better for you guys.

Chris43

Oct 24, 2009
Arizona
Good luck with him guys, he didn't perform for us, at all. He floats around, there is no sign of that speed or shot. The goals he got were great setups from other guys. He didn't create anything. I'm glad to send him packing, even though Frattin is a throw in that will be in the press box from now on. Everyone wanted to point to his 40 goal seasons and call him an elite scorer. But he went many games without a shot on goal, I particularly remember a weekend home and home with Pitt where he had no shots in either game. He was invisible in any big game. Maybe he'll do better for you guys.

Hot damn that all sounds very familiar.

Winger23

May 3, 2007

He's already had an impact in his first game. He gets a 20 game + playoffs to prove himself, well worth losing a guy in the pressbox and a 2nd rounder.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Hot damn that all sounds very familiar.

i

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

This sounds very familiar.

Already seen most of that on display in his first game.

And we don't need him to create, we create all day, we need finish. So not worried.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

The Kings need Cookie Monster to stand at the net and collect cookies.

Plenty of create on the Kings. Thank you for your post proving that you do not watch Kings hockey.

Have a nice day Sir/Ma'am.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Remember all the crap we heard about Carter from jilted ex-girlfriends?

"He's a floater."

"He's one dimensional, all he has is a shot."

"He can't play right wing and has terrible chemistry with Mike Richards."

Am I missing any more?

Not concerned about Gaborik because unlike his previous clubs, the entire offense doesn't depend solely on him scoring.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

I understand where you are coming from, but Gaborik isn't here to be the big man on campus like he was suppose to be in Columbus.

Gaborik will be expected to play with a playmaking center like Kopitar and put the puck in the net around the goalmouth. Coincidentally, as Brown discussed, he's expected to help draw defenders to him to free up the other top 6 forwards as well.

Alternatively, here, Jack Johnson played second fiddle to Doughty, but in Columbus, he's allowed to be the man, eat up a ton of ice time, and nearly do as he pleases. Good trade for you guys and good trade for us to get back Jeff Carter to play with Richards.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Remember all the crap we heard about Carter from jilted ex-girlfriends?

"He's a floater."

"He's one dimensional, all he has is a shot."

Sounds what a lot of people on this board used to say about Gaborik, along with other things like "plays no defense", "not a Lombardi player", "not a playoff player"

All it took was for him to come here and silence, lets be honest, all fanbases do this, peoples opinions do a complete 180 when someone comes or goes. I'd love to see the reaction on this board if Erik Karlsson were traded to the Kings.

Sounds what a lot of people on this board used to say about Gaborik, along with other things like "plays no defense", "not a Lombardi player", "not a playoff player"

All it took was for him to come here and silence, lets be honest, all fanbases do this, peoples opinions do a complete 180 when someone comes or goes. I'd love to see the reaction on this board if Erik Karlsson were traded to the Kings.

Except you are comparing the guy signing a 5 year high cap hit deal at a critical point during the rebuilding process of this team versus acquiring him for next to nothing in terms of assets and only paying a prorated portion of half his salary. Context helps but you like to speak/write in absolutes.

I wanted Gaborik but felt the 5 years $7.5M was too steep at the time and understand why DL wouldn't go past 3 years. It was a big risk. The Kings now buy low and see where it goes. That is a typical shrewd DL move. Gaborik IS NOT the type of player the DL would build a team around. He is the type of player that is the last piece of the puzzle.

Gaborik didn't silence anyone by coming here. The terms are right and the time is right. Simple is that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Except you are comparing the guy signing a 5 year high cap hit deal at a critical point during the rebuilding process of this team versus acquiring him for next to nothing in terms of assets and only paying a prorated portion of half his salary. Context helps but you like to speak/write in absolutes.

I wanted Gaborik but felt the 5 years $7.5M was too steep at the time and understand why DL wouldn't go past 3 years. It was a big risk. The Kings now buy low and see where it goes. That is a typical shrewd DL move. Gaborik IS NOT the type of player the DL would build a team around. He is the type of player that is the last piece of the puzzle.

Gaborik didn't silence anyone by coming here. The terms are right and the time is right. Simple is that.

I said nothing about the contract in that part of the post.

That was just the opinion of Gaborik from many people on this board back when he was discussed a few years ago. Not even mentioning contract or anything like that, he was called soft, not a DL player, horrible defensively and worst of all, a longtime poster here said he was worse than Ryan Smyth.

You have been around for awhile, I'm sure you remember. Some people here just wanted nothing to do with a soft, one dimensional scoring winger until we get one and then suddenly those people love it.

And just switching back to contract, I still don't get how paying Smyth $19 over three years was fine but Gaborik $35 over 5 was so insanely bad and a huge risk. Once again, I think AEG had a big say in that Smyth/Gaborik debacle because in real money they saved something like $30 million. But that is why I am thankful that AEG is hands off with the Kings.

Oh well, it was years later than I hoped, but everything worked out. Smyth quit on the Kings freeing up money to get pieces needed for the cup which the Kings ultimately won and Gaborik gets a chance at a cup run in 2014. I am very happy with this trade, I think Kopi and Gaborik will be really good together.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad