Kings News: Marian Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Matt Frattin + 2nd + Cond 3rd

Jul 31, 2005
CA
When it's all said and done, I think Doughty will be the greatest player in franchise history.

If he stays long term I think you're right. He's still getting better and the team is designed to pretty much cater to his talents on offense.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Five years ago, the Kings added the final piece necessary for the 2014 Stanley Cup run.

It's also fun looking back at the reactions to the trade.

tumblr_nbxn1rZIJp1r2amcuo1_400.jpg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
When you have to come back from down 0-3, win 3 Game 7's on the road, and win 3 OT games on home ice in the Final, playing in 26 of 28 possible playoff games along the way, there's not one element the team could've done without. They couldn't have done it without a broken down Mike Richards. Jeff freakin' Schultz was a key contributor for an entire 7 game series. When Gaborik ties for the 6th most goals ever in a single playoff tournament, accounting for 16% of all Kings goals scored, almost doubling his career playoff goal total in one sitting, it was a hell of a run.

Amazing how close they were to most likely letting him walk. He had 1g and 1pt heading into Game 4 against the Sharks. They lose that series in 4 or 5, and the 14-15 roster is probably a lot different.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Gabby was a huge deal. Obviously, his contract re-signing was controversial (only because of the term), but the fact that he was re-signed is not really given just how important he was for that run.

f*** man. That nostalgia. Crazy the amount of swagger that team played with.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Could this be considered the last great trade that Lombardi made that paid dividends for the Kings?

He also acquired McNabb from Buffalo that same day and that trade turned out to be a pretty decent one (although the Lintuniemi pick with one of those seconds turned out to be a worthless selection).

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Could this be considered the last great trade that Lombardi made that paid dividends for the Kings?

He also acquired McNabb from Buffalo that same day and that trade turned out to be a pretty decent one (although the Lintuniemi pick with one of those seconds turned out to be a worthless selection).

Can't call him worthless yet. Maybe the Kings trade him for, like, a 6th or 7th round pick that's bursting with potential!

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.

Jeff Carter for JJ and a late 1st rounder was pretty damn good too.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Gabby was a huge deal. Obviously, his contract re-signing was controversial (only because of the term), but the fact that he was re-signed is not really given just how important he was for that run.

2012-2014 the Golden Age of Kings Hockey Oh how I miss those days. Now back to the dark days of the 90's Yuck!!!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Gaborik was nails around the net in the 2014 playoffs. He scored so many goals in the dirty areas. Combine the distance of all his goals, and maybe they traveled a total 20 feet. That is probably an exaggeration, but that was the feeling I had.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Without a doubt Lombardi’s last good trade.

I think Sekera could have become a very good defenseman within our system given enough time. We also could have made the playoffs if he doesn’t go down with the injury. Ton of what ifs surrounding that cursed 14/15 season.

Unfortunately for Sekera, he was overpaid by about a million, and has just never lived up to the cap hit.

Pretty much everything else post-2014 was garbage, though.

15/16 was the real time for Lombardi to start a true retool. The Lucic trade was a desperation move through and through, similar to Blake’s Kovalchuk signing. Not a retool move.

Controversially, Lombardi could have moved Carter out for some significant assets in the summer of 2015. Carter was 29 at the time. Stockpile for a year or two lull like Boston did during the exact same time span. Re-emerge in 16/17 with some youth injected back into the lineup.

Lombardi just never knew how to separate the off-ice scandals from the on-ice failures. It was too easy for him to blame everything on the off-ice BS. He wasn’t capable of seeing that it was all correlation, not causation. That was his biggest failure as a GM post-2014.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Gaborik was nails around the net in the 2014 playoffs. He scored so many goals in the dirty areas. Combine the distance of all his goals, and maybe they traveled a total 20 feet. That is probably an exaggeration, but that was the feeling I had.

He spent so much time on his face or ass after every goal. He had only a handful from outside that dirty area, you're not wrong.

I think that's part of what was so glorious about it, some folks were selling the 'gutless, soft, heartless' deal with him and he just kept going back to the front of the net to cash in.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I remember our farm system being so depleted of defensemen that Lombardi felt forced to draft Hickey and Teubert over BPA.

Then why did we draft a goalie and a projected checking line forward with our 1st round picks in 2006?

Give that management team credit, they built a SC winner around the two franchise players they inherited, but it was because they brought in all the right players from other teams, the trades especially were remarkable, he won almost all of them in his first couple years. They blew it all at the draft table though, outside of Doughty at the #2 spot the Kings drafting for the entire Lombardi era was pretty marginal, a bunch of quantity but very little quality.

I suspect they took guys like Bernier, Tuebert, Hickey and Forbort in the 1st round because they had no clue how to identify skilled forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad