Kings News: Marian Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Matt Frattin + 2nd + Cond 3rd

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Without a doubt Lombardi’s last good trade.

I think Sekera could have become a very good defenseman within our system given enough time. We also could have made the playoffs if he doesn’t go down with the injury. Ton of what ifs surrounding that cursed 14/15 season.

Unfortunately for Sekera, he was overpaid by about a million, and has just never lived up to the cap hit.
I know it's all in hindsight, but I didn't think Sekera was a very good defenseman at the time. It's almost as if the Kings made a trade for the sake of trading. It worked three years in a row before, so let's do it again, right? Didn't work, and Sekera hasn't exactly done much since.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I know it's all in hindsight, but I didn't think Sekera was a very good defenseman at the time. It's almost as if the Kings made a trade for the sake of trading. It worked three years in a row before, so let's do it again, right? Didn't work, and Sekera hasn't exactly done much since.
They overpaid for Sekera to keep him from the Blackhawks.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't hate on the Sekera trade as much as some on this board. They had been very successful and should have been given one more shot. And DL was smart to protect the 2015 pick in that trade if they missed the playoffs because 2015 ended up being such a strong draft.

DL ofcourse ended up trading that 2015 pick and a bunch of other assets for an overrated piece of trash, so maybe it didn't end up mattering but I think it's hard to say that Sekera was a horrific move without the benefit of hindsight.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Then why did we draft a goalie and a projected checking line forward with our 1st round picks in 2006?

Give that management team credit, they built a SC winner around the two franchise players they inherited, but it was because they brought in all the right players from other teams, the trades especially were remarkable, he won almost all of them in his first couple years. They blew it all at the draft table though, outside of Doughty at the #2 spot the Kings drafting for the entire Lombardi era was pretty marginal, a bunch of quantity but very little quality.

I suspect they took guys like Bernier, Tuebert, Hickey and Forbort in the 1st round because they had no clue how to identify skilled forwards.

1. That was Al Murrays draft, he was going on what his guys said [ and I bet AL knew DL had a thing for goalies]. The Lewis thing is straight up dumb scouting.

2. Or didn't meet DL crazy character test. So much skill was passed over because of this quality he wanted.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Sekera was going to help fill the Voynov void. Sekera is a godo d-man but cannot stay healthy.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't hate on the Sekera trade as much as some on this board. They had been very successful and should have been given one more shot. And DL was smart to protect the 2015 pick in that trade if they missed the playoffs because 2015 ended up being such a strong draft.

DL ofcourse ended up trading that 2015 pick and a bunch of other assets for an overrated piece of trash, so maybe it didn't end up mattering but I think it's hard to say that Sekera was a horrific move without the benefit of hindsight.

My shock was that Sekera was not re-signed. Previsou time DL gave up picks the player was re-signed and I believe they were given permission to talk to Sekera before the deal.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Then why did we draft a goalie and a projected checking line forward with our 1st round picks in 2006?

Give that management team credit, they built a SC winner around the two franchise players they inherited, but it was because they brought in all the right players from other teams, the trades especially were remarkable, he won almost all of them in his first couple years. They blew it all at the draft table though, outside of Doughty at the #2 spot the Kings drafting for the entire Lombardi era was pretty marginal, a bunch of quantity but very little quality.

I suspect they took guys like Bernier, Tuebert, Hickey and Forbort in the 1st round because they had no clue how to identify skilled forwards.

I remember when Bernier was drafted I thought our search for our future number 1 was finally over. Quick came out of nowhere and took the job.

I have a Bernier Monarchs jersey (which is sweet) because I banked on this

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I've been on the record for years that I don't like the idea of "That's not Dean's draft", yet they went with the "build-from-the-net-out" strategy by taking Bernier. Then Lewis is such a DL-type player.

He's the GM: it is his draft.

Blake was the GM of Ontario and not an amateur scout. The same scouting staff is here but why isn't there a "2017 wasn't Blake's draft" theory going around?

2006 was Dean's draft and 2017 was Bowlby's.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I've been on the record for years that I don't like the idea of "That's not Dean's draft", yet they went with the "build-from-the-net-out" strategy by taking Bernier. Then Lewis is such a DL-type player.

Blake was the GM of Ontario and not an amateur scout. The same scouting staff is here but why isn't there a "2017 wasn't Blake's draft" theory going around?

I think LA did very good in 2017:
Vilardi aside JAD, and Philips look like great draft picks at their spots

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think LA did very good in 2017:
Vilardi aside JAD, and Philips look like great draft picks at their spots

So that's probably why there isn't a "Not Blake's draft" narrative since they want to give him credit for it, which they should.

I'm a DL fan and I've always laid the 2016 draft at his feet. He may have leaned on the scouts more--that weren't his guys--but he is still the final say.

As for 2017, those other guys are going to have to be pretty good if Vilardi is DOA. It is hard to say "aside from Vilardi" when that pick was the reward for a garbage season and the team's first sub-29OA pick since Forbort in 2010.

Just another reason why coming out of this mess with Hughes would do wonders for Blake. Having Vilardi not be able to play just adds more time to this team being irrelevant.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
So that's probably why there isn't a "Not Blake's draft" narrative since they want to give him credit for it, which they should.

I'm a DL fan and I've always laid the 2016 draft at his feet. He may have leaned on the scouts more--that weren't his guys--but he is still the final say.

As for 2017, those other guys are going to have to be pretty good if Vilardi is DOA. It is hard to say "aside from Vilardi" when that pick was the reward for a garbage season and the team's first sub-29OA pick since Forbort in 2010.

Just another reason why coming out of this mess with Hughes would do wonders for Blake. Having Vilardi not be able to play just adds more time to this team being irrelevant.

I feel like Detroit is going to win the lottery and have Zabina Hughes for the next decade

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I remember when Bernier was drafted I thought our search for our future number 1 was finally over. Quick came out of nowhere and took the job.

I have a Bernier Monarchs jersey (which is sweet) because I banked on this
Once Quick learned how to set his alarm clock, it was over.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Exactly.

They probably used the scouting reports that Al Murray and his staff had filed all year on individual players. But anyone who thinks it was Al Murray's idea to draft a goaltender, checking line forward and physical third pairing defenseman are out to lunch. The previous decade of drafting and the following decade of drafting and the types of players taken tell you exactly who was making the picks.

Reactions: BigKing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad