Kings News: Marian Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Matt Frattin + 2nd + Cond 3rd

KingKopitar11*

Lots of arguments here about hindsight. I'm just happy we got the guy for a cheap price. Excited to see what he does.

cheap77

Go Kings!
Mar 19, 2011
I see a lot of potential with him in the first game. As long as he can stay on the left side it really balances out the lines.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Sounds what a lot of people on this board used to say about Gaborik, along with other things like "plays no defense", "not a Lombardi player", "not a playoff player"

All it took was for him to come here and silence, lets be honest, all fanbases do this, peoples opinions do a complete 180 when someone comes or goes. I'd love to see the reaction on this board if Erik Karlsson were traded to the Kings.

I would welcome Karlsson's explosive offensive game, But that would not change my view of him being a Forward trying to play Defender.

Karlsson is trash in his own zone, a frigging disaster.

But I might be spoiled seeing the Kings Drew Doughty play every night.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
If you were made of glass, would you fight? :naughty:

Just saying he wasn't doing a Sedin against two very good fighters. We obviously don't want him fighting, but he has shown that he will stand up for himself and not tuck tail and run. That is a very important trait come playoff off time, not backing down as a team.

Jdub is another player that impresses, he even gets in players faces.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The Kings need Cookie Monster to stand at the net and collect cookies.

Plenty of create on the Kings. Thank you for your post proving that you do not watch Kings hockey.

Have a nice day Sir/Ma'am.

Of course I don't watch Kings hockey, I'm a Blue Jackets fan. I was just giving you the run down on what he did for us. I figured you haven't watched any Blue Jackets hockey either. Much like Carter, he didn't work here, he could be a superstar for you guys.

Ron*

Of course I don't watch Kings hockey, I'm a Blue Jackets fan. I was just giving you the run down on what he did for us. I figured you haven't watched any Blue Jackets hockey either. Much like Carter, he didn't work here, he could be a superstar for you guys.

With all due respect, I think players just "get up" and "excited" to be playing for a Cup contender, which is not necessarily Columbus at this point in time. It wasn't that long ago that LA was considered "hockey Siberia" by players. I'm not saying Columbus is Siberia because it's clear your team is up and coming. They just need to hit that next level and players will also consider Columbus to be a great chance to win a Cup.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
off topic, but am i the only one that liked Smyth?? that guy was a rock star here. Kopitar williams smyth was incredible. Then they moved stoll into that line and they still were incredible. Williams and Smyth had so much good chemistry. Really made me value that in front of the net presence. I liked handzus to a lesser degree for the same reason.

Last edited:

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
off topic, but am i the only one that liked Smyth?? that guy was a rock star here. Kopitar williams smyth was incredible. Then they moved still into that line and they still were incredible. Williams and Smyth had so much good chemistry. Really made me value that in front of the net presence. I liked handzus to a lesser degree for the same reason.

I don't really understand Herby's pure hatred of Smyth either. I think he was a significant factor in the growth of this team and was generally a popular player when he was here. His demand to get out took me by surprise but it ended up being absolutely perfect timing allowing Dean to make the Richards deal and off we went.

KingKopitar11*

I personally couldn't stand Smyth. He just had like this lackadaisical approach to the game that I couldn't stand, especially up the ice. He scored goals here and there, it was good. But I don't know what it was his weird stride or what.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't really understand Herby's pure hatred of Smyth either. I think he was a significant factor in the growth of this team and was generally a popular player when he was here. His demand to get out took me by surprise but it ended up being absolutely perfect timing allowing Dean to make the Richards deal and off we went.

I agree and I agree on the timing of his demands, too. He was clearly declining quickly and couldn't skate for more than 40 games a season. Perfect time in, perfect time out.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
I personally couldn't stand Smyth. He just had like this lackadaisical approach to the game that I couldn't stand, especially up the ice. He scored goals here and there, it was good. But I don't know what it was his weird stride or what.

i think you have to appreciate the subtleties to Smyth and Handzus' games. I noticed that every time the Kings scored, one of those two would be in front of the net. They may not have gotten any assists or goals on the play, but they were always there blocking the goalies view and working the trenches. Come to think of it, besides for brown, we hardly have any net presence. makes me wonder if that's got something to do with our lack of scoring.

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
smyth_crying_640.jpg

KingKopitar11*

i think you have to appreciate the subtleties to Smyth and Handzus' games. I noticed that every time the Kings scored, one of those two would be in front of the net. They may not have gotten any assists or goals on the play, but they were always there blocking the goalies view and working the trenches. Come to think of it, besides for brown, we hardly have any net presence. makes me wonder if that's got something to do with our lack of scoring.

Honestly, Smyth didn't stand in front of net as much as he was supposed to, he tried to do board battles and would fail consistently. He looked out of place in LA. He was OK, nothing special. He could have been a lot better.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I was pleased when we brought Smyth in, I was pleased with his production with Kopitar and Williams, and I was pleased wen we moved him to fit Richards in, during a time when Smyth was clearly declining. He helped us emerge from the dark ages of Kings hockey. I can't forget that.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
off topic, but am i the only one that liked Smyth?? that guy was a rock star here. Kopitar williams smyth was incredible. Then they moved stoll into that line and they still were incredible. Williams and Smyth had so much good chemistry. Really made me value that in front of the net presence. I liked handzus to a lesser degree for the same reason.

The Smyth hatred stems from the fact that he could barely cross center ice come January and knew nothing about defense.

This team needed a Top-6 winger and they got in one Smyth for about half of each season...well, maybe 3/4 of a season the first time. His last season here was brutal as he was clearly not a Top 6 guy from December on. Played 15 more games than his first year here but finished with six fewer points. He was better in the playoffs against SJ but he was terrible against Vancouver the year before, including his amazingly fast 10 MPH shot at a wide open net in Game 6.

Then he demanded a trade to two teams and two teams only. Put Dean in a bad spot. This is also the guy that cried when he decided to leave Edmonton like he was blindsided by it. Could of gone back to Edmonton if he wanted but he took the money from a division rival in Colorado instead. Then when he goes back to Edmonton, he *****es about playing time and such.

He was painful to watch his last season here while LA was riding a $6MM cap hit on him. Even so, this team had a hole in the Top-6 going into the Summer of 2011 with him on the roster so asking to be dealt was worrisome somewhat, mainly because Lombardi expected to have him on the roster for that season. It wound up being addition by subtraction as his replacement in Gagne got hurt and the team couldn't score, leading to the Carter trade and everything to come after.

Just because it worked out for us in the end, doesn't mean his trade demand wasn't ********. Especially liked how he threw Bobby Mac under the bus when it was first reported, but then it was actually true.

I'd never compare him to Handzus as that guy was awesome even when he appeared to slow down.

Prince

Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
The Smyth hatred stems from the fact that he could barely cross center ice come January and knew nothing about defense.

This team needed a Top-6 winger and they got in one Smyth for about half of each season...well, maybe 3/4 of a season the first time. His last season here was brutal as he was clearly not a Top 6 guy from December on. Played 15 more games than his first year here but finished with six fewer points. He was better in the playoffs against SJ but he was terrible against Vancouver the year before, including his amazingly fast 10 MPH shot at a wide open net in Game 6.

Then he demanded a trade to two teams and two teams only. Put Dean in a bad spot. This is also the guy that cried when he decided to leave Edmonton like he was blindsided by it. Could of gone back to Edmonton if he wanted but he took the money from a division rival in Colorado instead. Then when he goes back to Edmonton, he *****es about playing time and such.

He was painful to watch his last season here while LA was riding a $6MM cap hit on him. Even so, this team had a hole in the Top-6 going into the Summer of 2011 with him on the roster so asking to be dealt was worrisome somewhat, mainly because Lombardi expected to have him on the roster for that season. It wound up being addition by subtraction as his replacement in Gagne got hurt and the team couldn't score, leading to the Carter trade and everything to come after.

Just because it worked out for us in the end, doesn't mean his trade demand wasn't ********. Especially liked how he threw Bobby Mac under the bus when it was first reported, but then it was actually true.

I'd never compare him to Handzus as that guy was awesome even when he appeared to slow down.

The best thing about Smyth is it allowed the Kings to unload the contract of Tom Preissing. Then by demanding a trade back to the Oil it allowed the team to unload his contract.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Smyth demanding his way out of town was the best thing to happen to the Kings. Mike Richards, come on down!

His comments regarding our coastal living were the cherry on top.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I was pleased when we brought Smyth in, I was pleased with his production with Kopitar and Williams, and I was pleased wen we moved him to fit Richards in, during a time when Smyth was clearly declining. He helped us emerge from the dark ages of Kings hockey. I can't forget that.

Pretty much this.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
BigKing touched on most of it but lets add a few things about Ryan Smyth and his history.

- Ryan "Mr. Oiler" Smyth said it wasn't all about money, that he just wanted a fair contract from Edmonton and how he wanted to retire an Oiler. He ends up leaving Edmonton, a year after reaching the finals and is traded to the Islanders, one of the worst franchises over the previous 20+ years because the Oilers would not match his salary demands, which was reportedly a 100k per year difference.

- Smyth proceeds to go before the media and pull a Razzie worthy acting performance that made Hulk Hogan look like Humphrey Bogart. With tears flowing from his eyes he never once acknowledged that Mr. Oiler was leaving over a minuscule amount of money.

- Mr. Oiler then proceeds to sign with the Oilers division rival the Avalanche that summer because (surprise surprise) they offered the most money. Nothing wrong with that, well within his rights as an UFA, but if it was all about money just say it was from the start.

- After two seasons with the Avalanche, in which the team paid him $15 million of the actual $31 owed they were so eager to get rid of him (even at a reduced rate) they agreed to take on the contract of a minor league defenseman making $2.5 million a year to entice the Kings to take on the deal. The Avs who were largely criticized for "giving away" a star player went on to improve by 26 points the season after trading "star player" Smyth.

- Smyth reports to the Kings and proceeds to put up October numbers not seen since Reggie Jackson, but ultimately falls apart after the first two months of the season both years in LA.

- After completely falling apart as a player in the second half of 2011 and his role on the Kings for 2012 (a contract year) in question due to new acquisitions and younger players emerging Smyth demands a trade to Edmonton, citing the fact that his family didn't feel safe in LA and he wanted his kids to go to school in Alberta. Funny how schools in Alberta didn't matter when Smyth left over 100k or when he signed for five years in Colorado because they offered the most money. Suddenly schools matter when Smyth is looking for one last cash grab contract from the team in the league most likely to give it to him for sentimental rather than on ice performance. In typical Smyth fashion covers up his greed by making it a family issue.

- When TSN's Bob McKenzie reports the trade demand Smyth responds that "he has no idea what the reporter is talking about" Essentially calling one of the most respected hockey journalists in North America a liar.

- After another performance as Mr. October and complete no-show in the second half for the Oilers in 2011-2012 Smyth and the Oilers reach a brief contract impasse in which Smyth says leaving EDM is possible because, get this, "he has to do what's best for him and his family", suddenly the schools in EDM don't seem so great when the Oilers balk at Smyth's bloated contract demands.

- Smyth ends up signing a 2 year extension despite the objections of most people on the Oilers HF board. With his two year contract expiring after this season and retirement likely on the horizon Smyth mentions that he would be open to being moved to a contender at the deadline, I guess when there is no financial incentive or contract extension coming from the Oilers those EDM schools again just don't seem so important.

A rock star for the Kings? Maybe Chad Kroeger.
Made the Kings respectable? I think it was our young players emerging
Made Kopitar a better defender? That one is always good for a laugh

Ryan Smyth is the type of person that gives pro athletes a bad name, he is what people imagine athletes as being. Greedy, egotistical, selfish and all about themselves.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
BigKing touched on most of it but lets add a few things about Ryan Smyth and his history.

- Ryan "Mr. Oiler" Smyth said it wasn't all about money, that he just wanted a fair contract from Edmonton and how he wanted to retire an Oiler. He ends up leaving Edmonton, a year after reaching the finals and is traded to the Islanders, one of the worst franchises over the previous 20+ years because the Oilers would not match his salary demands, which was reportedly a 100k per year difference.

- Smyth proceeds to go before the media and pull a Razzie worthy acting performance that made Hulk Hogan look like Humphrey Bogart. With tears flowing from his eyes he never once acknowledged that Mr. Oiler was leaving over a minuscule amount of money.

- Mr. Oiler then proceeds to sign with the Oilers division rival the Avalanche that summer because (surprise surprise) they offered the most money. Nothing wrong with that, well within his rights as an UFA, but if it was all about money just say it was from the start.

Ryan Smyth was traded largely as a result of an error in hard-bargaining tactics at the 11th hour. His agent should be a name that everyone recognizes, Don Meehan. Have we so quickly forgotten the BS surrounding Doughty's contract, and Doughty's eventual frustration with the situation?

Meehan wouldn't budge from whatever number he wanted for his client, and Smyth got traded to the Islanders. There was no time to amend the situation because it came right down to the wire. I do not question the sincerity of Smyth's shock immediately thereafter. Nor do I fail to comprehend why he wouldn't want to return to Edmonton after being so jarringly dealt. He was trying to move on. And he might as well squeeze the UFA market now that he's in this position, like you mentioned.

- After two seasons with the Avalanche, in which the team paid him $15 million of the actual $31 owed they were so eager to get rid of him (even at a reduced rate) they agreed to take on the contract of a minor league defenseman making $2.5 million a year to entice the Kings to take on the deal. The Avs who were largely criticized for "giving away" a star player went on to improve by 26 points the season after trading "star player" Smyth.

Why didn't you mention that when Smyth arrived they made the playoffs as the 6th seed, after finishing 9th the year before? That's about as important as speculating him leaving was the reason for the Avs return to prominence (from 15th to the 8th seed) while also denouncing Smyth's relevance to our OWN simultaneous revival, in which we finished 6th (from 14). And as for the Avs after that first year when Smyth left? They finished 14th, 11th, and 15th. That one playoff berth seems like an aberration to me, not something to draw conclusions upon.

I'm surprised Kyle Quincey is completely absent here. Back then he was thought of in a much different light than today. He was coming off a breakout season and was dirt cheap. Colorado had just finished in last place, so they rolled with the punches and picked up a cheap young defender at the cost of an expensive veteran. Quincey was a godsend for Colorado in that first year, logging over 23 minutes a night.

Smyth's departure did not turn Colorado into a powerhouse overnight. They overachieved the first year he left before sinking back into the basement. Smyth cost us a good asset; they didn't bend over to get rid of him. He was dealt as part of a rebuild in Colorado.

The beginning is the only part of the story I take umbrage with, I feel its an unnecessary attempt to reverse-engineer history because of unpleasant later events. Smyth's time in LA is what it is, he had highs and lows and you are right in vilifying him for the whole package in LA if you feel that way. He hasn't done himself any favours since the trade request, that's for certain, and I don't think much of him either way these days, but I was grateful that he was here for 2 years instead of nobody.

Last edited:

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Sig1013 linked (in the comments section of the Derek Armstrong article at lakingsinsider.com) to this interesting article about the Top 10 trades of the past season.

Teachable moment: Stop trading with Dean Lombardi; he is a wizard. And that goes double for you, Columbus.

Funny comment about the Sabres trades made by their relatively new GM Tim Murray:

Teachable moment: The next few drafts should move along really quickly, because at this point I’m pretty sure Tim Murray owns every single pick.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad