Kings News: Marian Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Matt Frattin + 2nd + Cond 3rd

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
As much as I love Carter, when they're both healthy, Gaborik is on another level. Question is, can he stay healthy. I hope so.

Gaborik 30+ goal seasons - 7. He scored 40+ goals in three of those seasons and also scored 30 in 48.
Carter 30+ goal seasons - 4 (I projected last season over 82 games). Carter had one 40+ season (46) in 08-09.

The Kings haven't had two goalscoring threats like this in a loooooong time. Hopefully Gaborik can get back into his old form.

Also, how badass is it that Toffoli has Gaborik and Carter as shooting teachers!

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
So they are going to try him at LW initially. I hope he excels there and Bernstein can eat it.

So, I'm guessing:

Gaborik - Kopitar - Williams
Toffoli - Richards - Carter
King - Stoll - Brown
Clifford / Pearson - Lewis - Nolan

Lots of opportunities for Sutter to mix and match depending on how things are going.

I would love to be able to slot King and Brown on that 3rd line while the top 6 is a legit top 6 that can score.

;)

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Gaborik is fine, this is going to be a good deal for the Kings. I mean this is him one year ago just before the trade to Columbus:

He is also a Boston Bruins killer which could help us in the finals this year :naughty:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think I've ever seen someone so adept at handling a bouncing puck and picking pucks out of the air...that alone is worth the trade!

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I am looking forward to watching MG play for us. I haven't seen a ton of him over the years but have been very interested by reading what allot of you guys have said. Of course I have seen the obvious but it seems like there may be more to his game then an exceptional pair of equally exceptional hands and northsouth skating. He can only help if we can protect him enough to keep him healthy and don't expect him to be too physical. He seems to be really good at finding his own space.

Should be fun to watch.

I am predicting 8 goals from him by the end of the season if he plays every game.

I am more excited about how he will force our opponents to have to re arrange their games against us now that we have two extremely talented lines to through at them. The speed alone should force them to have to back up more and that creates space which creates opps which which which which! Should be fun.

GO KINGS GO

GO GET EM 12!

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
No one is questioning his talent, and we're all excited to him play, but there's a reason why his market value was so low.

Since February of last year, he's played about 64 games. In that time, he's scored 13 goals. That puts him at 16 goal pace over the course of a full season. Most of those games were with the Rangers, and against the defensively weaker Eastern Conference.

He has 1 power play goal in his last 91 games.

He had nearly the worst corsi on rating of any CBJ forward this season.

If this is the version of Gaborik that we're getting, than I doubt he'll have much positive impact. On the other hand, if coming to LA rejuvenates him, than he could be great, but the chances are slim IMO. He doesn't look to me like he cares much about hockey these days.

His Corsi this season is -3.58. The best corsi on the team is 8.77. He's only been in 20 games. Last year, he was top 3 on the team in corsi with 6.58. He has been a + player in all but 2 years of his career, and those were only -6 and -8. He's also had 3 40+ goal seasons in the NHL. I don't think you will find another player on our team who has that on his resume. Carter has done it once.

Bottom line: this deal is low risk and lots of upside. Just gotta see how it plays out. I'd still take Gaborik over Vanek/Moulson/Cammalleri. Vanek has 2 40+ goal seasons, the other two don't have any...Cammalleri did hit 39 though with the Flames.

I understand that Gaborik has been out of favor lately, but you gotta understand what he is capable of on the ice. He could very well be our most skilled forward since Palffy, as others have mentioned. Lots of potential here, boys.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
His Corsi this season is -3.58. The best corsi on the team is 8.77. He's only been in 20 games. Last year, he was top 3 on the team in corsi with 6.58. He has been a + player in all but 2 years of his career, and those were only -6 and -8. He's also had 3 40+ goal seasons in the NHL. I don't think you will find another player on our team who has that on his resume. Carter has done it once.

Bottom line: this deal is low risk and lots of upside. Just gotta see how it plays out. I'd still take Gaborik over Vanek/Moulson/Cammalleri. Vanek has 2 40+ goal seasons, the other two don't have any...Cammalleri did hit 39 though with the Flames.

I understand that Gaborik has been out of favor lately, but you gotta understand what he is capable of on the ice. He could very well be our most skilled forward since Palffy, as others have mentioned. Lots of potential here, boys.

Exactly. Unless he's lost a step, and I don't think he has, he's going to have an impact with his speed alone. If the desire is there, then look out. I was never in favor of Moulson at all for all of the reasons everyone else has brought up. Vanek I liked, but like DL says, if he's got eyes toward July 1st, forget it. Cammy? Never EVER an option. An ultra-one dimensional smurf who also has no speed. No thanks. Gabby is not far removed from a great season, unless you think the Kings are far removed from winning the Cup also.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If Gaborik comes back to the player he has been, he and Carter on the same team will be nearly impossible to shut down. Hopefully he stays off the treatment table.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Holden's view of 12's injury history (more factual than anything) has me more excited do to having a better understanding of exactly why he missed the games that he has and also exactly how many games he missed.

I also like that DL is already working on an LTR for MG that will see him a King for a few more years. We are a contender without adding MG but we are much more so with him. Fingers crossed on his adding what he is more than capable of doing for us and we see him around for a few more seasons.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Exactly. Unless he's lost a step, and I don't think he has, he's going to have an impact with his speed alone. If the desire is there, then look out. I was never in favor of Moulson at all for all of the reasons everyone else has brought up. Vanek I liked, but like DL says, if he's got eyes toward July 1st, forget it. Cammy? Never EVER an option. An ultra-one dimensional smurf who also has no speed. No thanks. Gabby is not far removed from a great season, unless you think the Kings are far removed from winning the Cup also.

Ultimately, the will and desire is what carries you through in the playoffs. That is the only thing i'd question with Gaborik. Hopefully he builds a good comraderie with the guys and can contribute. I'm sure it will be better than whatever we had with Fratton.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Like I said, I like the deal. Lots of upside potential, with minimal risk.

I just think that people with high expectations are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Regardless, I'm excited, and I can't wait to watch him play.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Holden's view of 12's injury history (more factual than anything) has me more excited do to having a better understanding of exactly why he missed the games that he has and also exactly how many games he missed.

I also like that DL is already working on an LTR for MG that will see him a King for a few more years. We are a contender without adding MG but we are much more so with him. Fingers crossed on his adding what he is more than capable of doing for us and we see him around for a few more seasons.

Great post and thanks to Holden for posting the injury history as well.
DL did day that the cap may be 3 million less then hoped for...did anyone else see that, yesterday? And he's now worried about getting all the deals done. That said, if Gaborik plays well, he must be signed if possible and someone else must go. Goal scorers do not grow on trees or can be cloned...maybe they can be cloned, but don't count on it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Gaborik being interviewed now, says he's ready to play LW in the Kings' LW lock system.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Great post and thanks to Holden for posting the injury history as well.
DL did day that the cap may be 3 million less then hoped for...did anyone else see that, yesterday? And he's now worried about getting all the deals done. That said, if Gaborik plays well, he must be signed if possible and someone else must go. Goal scorers do not grow on trees or can be cloned...maybe they can be cloned, but don't count on it.

I saw the cap info and it has been being talked about a bunch by allot of people. It seems like most believe the cap will now be $3mill less so it will make things challenging but it will happen to everyone so here's hoping we can get it all done.

Vey McNabb Pearson and Toffs will all have to be one the team or there will be other problems so we are going to need to do some creative planning but I am sure that DL has colour coded diagrams in several languages and full reports on exactly how to plan for any and all possible outcomes. (great having a GM who does this).

All in I think we will be alright but next seasons roster is going to be a bit different then this one and to me that is a good thing to know. Not that there is anything wrong with the team this season but more that we can always get better.

DL has us set up to get better and will get us there.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Gaborik being interviewed now, says he's ready to play LW in the Kings' LW lock system.

Justin Williams, Dustin Brown, and Jim Fox have all said it before. Your official position is really just where you stand at the faceoff, once play starts you are all over the ice adapting to what's developing. It really shouldn't matter. It does make a difference with the small things, but overall it should be a livable sacrifice if those don't come together.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Justin Williams, Dustin Brown, and Jim Fox have all said it before. Your official position is really just where you stand at the faceoff, once play starts you are all over the ice adapting to what's developing. It really shouldn't matter. It does make a difference with the small things, but overall it should be a livable sacrifice if those don't come together.

I was just fooling around with that comment. Gaborik actually said, "I will be cruising around the opponent's blue line and expecting many great break away passes from Kopitar and Williams." :)

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

We got two MG's now, TG.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I have no idea what DL is talking about with the comments about the summer of 09. He says the Kings weren't ready for that type of player, yet a couple of days after missing out on Gaborik, with all the rumors saying it was the Kings not willing to go five years he brings in a declining Ryan Smyth for only a mill less than Gaborik was reportedly going to sign for (cap hit)

I still say the whole Gaborik/Smyth fiasco was AEG being cheap with the Kings (something that has thankfully ended). Smyth's contract was front loaded and AEG was also able to dump Preissing rather than bury him in Manchester. They saved plenty of actual money but made their hockey team significantly worse.

But saying "we weren't ready for that type of player" is not a very honest assessment of what happened.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I have no idea what DL is talking about with the comments about the summer of 09. He says the Kings weren't ready for that type of player, yet a couple of days after missing out on Gaborik, with all the rumors saying it was the Kings not willing to go five years he brings in a declining Ryan Smyth for only a mill less than Gaborik was reportedly going to sign for (cap hit)

I still say the whole Gaborik/Smyth fiasco was AEG being cheap with the Kings (something that has thankfully ended). Smyth's contract was front loaded and AEG was also able to dump Preissing rather than bury him in Manchester. They saved plenty of actual money but made their hockey team significantly worse.

But saying "we weren't ready for that type of player" is not a very honest assessment of what happened.

I think it might be DL covering his record. If I remember correctly he went after Gaborik but NY was willing to give him the same money but for a year longer. And that was basically what made his choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad