Confirmed with Link: Marcus Johansson to the Wild for Eric Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
From everything, even from Staal, it doesn't seem like he got a head's up at all.

Why was Owen Nolan afforded more courtesy than Eric Staal?

I'm serious, not talking about GMs or anything. Just players.

Because a completely different person was in charge of offering or withholding the courtesy?

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Because a completely different person was in charge of offering or withholding the courtesy?

And yet it was the right call when one of them did it, but not the other?

So, we're done trying to appease every player? Does that mean we can just kick Dubnyk to the curb now? I hope so. Screw his family situation!

We should have sent Dubnyk down much, much earlier in the season when Kahkonen was playing decently along with Stalock. Worst is Kahkonen gets more time.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And yet it was the right call when one of them did it, but not the other?

So, we're done trying to appease every player? Does that mean we can just kick Dubnyk to the curb now? I hope so. Screw his family situation!

We should have sent Dubnyk down much, much earlier in the season when Kahkonen was playing decently along with Stalock. Worst is Kahkonen gets more time.

Hopefully?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
As long as Staal got a heads up before it broke, nothing wrong or malicious or disrespectful occurred.

It may not have been wrong, but it was a pretty classless and unnecessary move. There’s no logical reason behind the move other than to send a message. A team that desperately needs top 6 centers doesn’t trade their only one away who initially signed a team friendly deal to avoid being traded.

The only reason I could see BG doing this is to piss Parise off enough to be willing to waive to more teams.

Reactions: 57special

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It may not have been wrong, but it was a pretty classless and unnecessary move. There’s no logical reason behind the move other than to send a message. A team that desperately needs top 6 centers doesn’t trade their only one away who initially signed a team friendly deal to avoid being traded.

The only reason I could see BG doing this is to piss Parise off enough to be willing to waive to more teams.

How many days in advance does Staal need for it to be "classy"?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I think you're missing the point here and honestly a little of a straw man. There is no set days in advance, but the way it went down and the way that Staal tells it is what the problem is. The only piece missing is the exit interview, but if we pull from the statements that is being reported, it can help provide a little more info. It appears that Staal wasn't given any warning, either at the exit interview or after he submitted his trade list. He submits his trade list -> less than 24 hours later Staal is traded. Guerin apparently talks to him for around 30 seconds (probably longer, but the point being made is Guerin didn't really care). Staal is surprised by the trade.

Honestly, just giving him a few hours before announcing the trade would have been the good thing to do.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think you're missing the point here and honestly a little of a straw man. There is no set days in advance, but the way it went down and the way that Staal tells it is what the problem is. The only piece missing is the exit interview, but if we pull from the statements that is being reported, it can help provide a little more info. It appears that Staal wasn't given any warning, either at the exit interview or after he submitted his trade list. He submits his trade list -> less than 24 hours later Staal is traded. Guerin apparently talks to him for around 30 seconds (probably longer, but the point being made is Guerin didn't really care). Staal is surprised by the trade.

Honestly, just giving him a few hours before announcing the trade would have been the good thing to do.
Giving him a few hours before announcing the trade? When does that ever happen? The trade leaked well before it was announced, Guerin told him before it leaked.... but once it's out there it's out there. What difference would it make to wait to confirm what's already done? Hell, then the other side is likely to announce it themselves anyway.

No such thing as waiting a few hours to announce it after informing the player.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

The move itself is classless. I don’t care about when he was informed about the trade.

Sure it’s a business and he has every right to make whatever moves he feels like. However, making that move was complete bullshit, especially when you consider all of the external factors.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The move itself is classless. I don’t care about when he was informed about the trade.

Sure it’s a business and he has every right to make whatever moves he feels like. However, making that move was complete bullshit, especially when you consider all of the external factors.

It's bullshit because we don't like the return. If we did, nobody would give a shit about Staal's feelings.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Maybe it is because there are other examples to fall upon where you have a tearful GM answering questions and mentioning how hard a call it was to make yada yada.....I think I am with our resident custodian, MD. that nothing here was disrespectful, it just wasn't a warm goodbye. That doesn't make it nasty either.

Reactions: TaLoN

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It's bullshit because we don't like the return. If we did, nobody would give a shit about Staal's feelings.

The return is the entire point though. There is no logical reason behind the trade, given the return. We traded our only Top 6 C for a worse LW who costs more. Can you provide any reasonable explanation why BG would make this move?

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
The return is the entire point though. There is no logical reason behind the trade, given the return. We traded our only Top 6 C for a worse LW who costs more. Can you provide any reasonable explanation why BG would make this move?
Youth and speed. Oops that's two.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Youth and speed. Oops that's two.

Johansson is a 30 year old LW. Nothing about the team improved from this trade.

In a normal world, I wouldn’t really care much about the trade. However, in the middle of a pandemic, just let the guy play out the final year of his contract if the sole intent behind the move is to simply send a message. If the trade improved either our short or long-term goals, then it’s perfectly fine. It did neither though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly, I don't care about the return at this point, because it is what it is in terms of value (and that's an entirely different argument). If somehow got Bennett back, great. Still mad at how Guerin traded Staal. Got futures back? Still mad at how Guerin traded Staal.

To me, this board twists and bends the narrative to see how they like it. I brought up the fact that Guerin should have just dumped Dubnyk in the minors this season regardless of his family situation. He has gone on and on this season about needing better goaltending, and yet when they started seeing some life in Kahkonen and Stalock, Dubnyk comes back and suddenly, it's a huge deal to drop Dubnyk down to the minors because of a family situation? At worst Kahkonen struggles, Minnesota brings Dubnyk back up and moves Kahkonen down. Worse? Someone claims Dubnyk on waivers and we have to ride Kahkonen and Stalock until the end.

Why the sudden change from this board? What changed from two years ago to today?

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Johansson is a 30 year old LW. Nothing about the team improved from this trade.

In a normal world, I wouldn’t really care much about the trade. However, in the middle of a pandemic, just let the guy play out the final year of his contract if the sole intent behind the move is to simply send a message. If the trade improved either our short or long-term goals, then it’s perfectly fine. It did neither though.
Can I borrow your crystal ball? It is yet to be seen how the fit is. It does fit the GM's narrative of getting younger and faster.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Not really, but a move can be bad without being classless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad