Confirmed with Link: Marcus Johansson to the Wild for Eric Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Honestly, I don't care about the return at this point, because it is what it is in terms of value (and that's an entirely different argument). If somehow got Bennett back, great. Still mad at how Guerin traded Staal. Got futures back? Still mad at how Guerin traded Staal.

To me, this board twists and bends the narrative to see how they like it. I brought up the fact that Guerin should have just dumped Dubnyk in the minors this season regardless of his family situation. He has gone on and on this season about needing better goaltending, and yet when they started seeing some life in Kahkonen and Stalock, Dubnyk comes back and suddenly, it's a huge deal to drop Dubnyk down to the minors because of a family situation? At worst Kahkonen struggles, Minnesota brings Dubnyk back up and moves Kahkonen down. Worse? Someone claims Dubnyk on waivers and we have to ride Kahkonen and Stalock until the end.

Why the sudden change from this board? What changed from two years ago to today?

I have no idea who would've fought you, this year, about Dubnyk not being on the NHL team.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Staal being upset about how the trade went down speaks more to the issue at hand that Guerin is trying to address than anything else anyone here is trying to portray.

God forbid he’s treated like most any other professional in sports, or otherwise.

It was still a terrible trade value-wise, but why am I to care if Staal was consulted or consoled?

Reactions: Drewcifer

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Actually you're right; I'm sorry. You and I debate a lot, but in this case it was MuckOG and Bazeek and Prior I was discussing sending Dubnyk down with.
If I recall, the only thing being argued was that Dubnyk would have to agree to it for it to even be allowed, and that's what the debate was... not whether the Wild should of they could. It didn't matter, because he'd have never agreed to it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This excerpt taken from the Sabres Athletic reporter's article on acquiring Staal,

"The Sabres forced Johansson into an unsuitable role, transferring him from a successful third-line left winger into an overmatched No. 2 center. Johansson’s numbers plummeted to stats that Staal has blown out of the water in 16 of his 18 seasons."

:confused:

Reactions: Spurgeon

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
"The Sabres forced Johansson into an unsuitable role, transferring him from a successful third-line left winger into an overmatched No. 2 center. Johansson’s numbers plummeted to stats that Staal has blown out of the water in 16 of his 18 seasons."

:confused:

LOL, so we're looking at what Buffalo did and went, yep! Sounds right, we'll do the same thing and hope we get different results!

Reactions: Spurgeon

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
MoJO is younger and faster, yes. So is my son. Neither of the two are as good of a hockey player as Staal, and even in MoJo's case, it's not particularly close. Isn't the point to have better hockey players, and in this case better Centers? Does anyone think that Johnsson is a better Center than Eric Staal? Does anyone think that we need more middle six LW's, which is his usual position?

I could understand it if Staal was signed long term, or if we had too many Centers, or if Staal was an embarrassment to the organization in some way.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I'm not too concerned about the harshness of the news to Staal. Guerin didn't have to synch his words to the pauses between labor pains.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
MoJO is younger and faster, yes. So is my son. Neither of the two are as good of a hockey player as Staal, and even in MoJo's case, it's not particularly close. Isn't the point to have better hockey players, and in this case better Centers? Does anyone think that Johnsson is a better Center than Eric Staal? Does anyone think that we need more middle six LW's, which is his usual position?

I could understand it if Staal was signed long term, or if we had too many Centers, or if Staal was an embarrassment to the organization in some way.
Reading Evason and Johansson's comments from Russo's article, it sounds like Evason thinks he can be effective at center. Specifically at being a guy that can get the puck to his wingers, which is where our strength is anyway. He's also said that moving back to the position last year took some adjusting, but that he felt better as the year went on.

I don't know, the plan still seems cockamamie to me but who knows? If this works and Staal hits the wall this year they look like geniuses. Worst case it's just a failed experiment with no long term commitments, and keeping Staal could have panned out the same way.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So you're saying that Evason didn't blow holes in his boss'es latest move? Imagine that!

Also, the Pearl Harbor analogy is only correct if you think the USA bombed themselves. I do get your point that this is probably only the difference between us finishing 18th next year, and 24th, but what if Kaprizov and Fiala look at this move, shake their heads, and tell their agents to get them out of here ASAP? Sort of like we are hoping Parise will do?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Reading Evason and Johansson's comments from Russo's article, it sounds like Evason thinks he can be effective at center. Specifically at being a guy that can get the puck to his wingers, which is where our strength is anyway. He's also said that moving back to the position last year took some adjusting, but that he felt better as the year went on.

I don't know, the plan still seems cockamamie to me but who knows? If this works and Staal hits the wall this year they look like geniuses. Worst case it's just a failed experiment with no long term commitments, and keeping Staal could have panned out the same way.

Was it Russo or someone else who either hinted or explicitly stated that being in a contract year could be a motivating factor, versus Staal who's probably pretty comfortable coasting until he retires.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
or that is spin...Guerin is pretending there was widespread consensus on this move being a good one...wonder what our now departed analytics people would've had to say about it.

Reactions: nstarjim

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Was it Russo or someone else who either hinted or explicitly stated that being in a contract year could be a motivating factor, versus Staal who's probably pretty comfortable coasting until he retires.
I haven't seen Russo mention it, but it's a valid point. At the very least he seems like a player the coach knows and has confidence in, which is something.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I haven't seen Russo mention it, but it's a valid point. At the very least he seems like a player the coach knows and has confidence in, which is something.

Yeah, I don't really hate the deal anymore. If anything it just doesn't make sense without other big moves following. Namely, a Parise trade. Which I know is easier said than done, but if he's really trying to throw a grenade into the locker room, Parise leaving will do that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
or that is spin
The reality is that as great as Staal is, last year he wasn't the same player he had been the 3 years prior and he is likely to be worse again next year. Can this team afford another 6 weeks of letting guys like Staal and Parise "warm up" so that we can spend the rest of the season playing catch-up?

I'm not trying to spin this as somehow good, but if Guerin and Evason want the team to get faster and younger then moving on now rather than next summer makes sense. I don't think they're trying to spin a move that they believe was bad.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, I don't really hate the deal anymore. If anything it just doesn't make sense without other big moves following. Namely, a Parise trade. Which I know is easier said than done, but if he's really trying to throw a grenade into the locker room, Parise leaving will do that.
If he gets Parise off this team he'll have a few miles of extra rope with me.

Reactions: AKL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad