Confirmed with Link: Marcus Johansson to the Wild for Eric Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I find the whole thing mystifying, and smacks of incompetence, or an agenda that I know nothing about. If you want Parise gone, why not just tell him? Doing this seems capricious, convoluted, and mean(note the vocab I am throwing at you). Fentonesque.

Staal will have to regress like hell to get down to Johnsson's level of production. I don't think he ever has been that bad...maybe in his CAR/NYR year when he was playing wing on NY?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If he gets rid of Suter, Zuccs and Dubnyk, he'll be good for the next 10 years.

You're under arrest!

Suter is important for this team, and Zuccarello will get a bigger role in the leadership group now with Koivu and Staal gone.

And here's something you didn't know about Zuccs, you have a police officer on your team. While playing for the Rangers he worked part time for the NYPD.

matszuccarello_on_Instagram____nypd______.0.0.png

Reactions: Spurgeon

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
You're under arrest!

Suter is important for this team, and Zuccarello will get a bigger role in the leadership group now with Koivu and Staal gone.

And here's something you didn't know about Zuccs, you have a police officer on your team. While playing for the Rangers he worked part time for the NYPD.

who says we want him as a leader here?

Reactions: nstarjim

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You're under arrest!

Suter isn't as important; plus his attitude smacks of the Country Club Culture that Guerin wants to get rid of. Zuccs has that NMC, which spells trouble.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Reading Evason and Johansson's comments from Russo's article, it sounds like Evason thinks he can be effective at center. Specifically at being a guy that can get the puck to his wingers, which is where our strength is anyway. He's also said that moving back to the position last year took some adjusting, but that he felt better as the year went on.

I don't know, the plan still seems cockamamie to me but who knows? If this works and Staal hits the wall this year they look like geniuses. Worst case it's just a failed experiment with no long term commitments, and keeping Staal could have panned out the same way.
Yes. Simple fact is the trade market - for (1) a declining mid-30s center (2) who cannot play in the bottom-6 and (3) who has a 10-team no-trade list constructed to eliminate the highest bidders, (4) when it is not the trade-deadline - is quite small.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You're under arrest!

I've gotta give it to you, Webster. For somebody whose posts revolve solely around an individual player, you do find a way to make them oddly unique.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
who says we want him as a leader here?

Well he's a veteran getting paid more than any forward except Parise. And he was an alternate captain for the Rangers, a very good mentor for the younger guys according to the team.

Btw, I was of course just kidding about that cop job. But there's close friendship with the NYPD, and he's very interested in police work. For NYR fans they decided to put him in a captain's uniform.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Well he's a veteran getting paid more than any forward except Parise. And he was an alternate captain for the Rangers, a very good mentor for the younger guys according to the team.

Btw, I was of course just kidding about that cop job. But there's close friendship with the NYPD, and he's very interested in police work. For NYR fans they decided to put him in a captain's uniform.
I don’t get how age and payment somehow means leadership. His past means nothing in terms of leadership also. How about we are less off his plate and hope he plays the game better by having less responsibility

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t get how age and payment somehow means leadership. His past means nothing in terms of leadership also. How about we are less off his plate and hope he plays the game better by having less responsibility

Or perhaps being part of the leadership group will get him going again. He would finally feel like they trust him, and the spark we miss about him will be back.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Or perhaps being part of the leadership group will get him going again. He would finally feel like they trust him, and the spark we miss about him will be back.
trusting him requires us to give him the C? we are trying to not be mediocre i dont understand how giving him a letter at all gets us away from it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe Guerin was so frustrated by not being able to move Koivu, Parise and Staal before the TDL, and NMC's that he inherited in general, that he simply took it out Staal.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe Guerin was so frustrated by not being able to move Koivu, Parise and Staal before the TDL, and NMC's that he inherited in general, that he simply took it out Staal.

He inherited 3 and gave out 2

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
What I’ve learned in this thread, regardless of what is actually happening on the ice:

1. If your older than 30?, you don’t work hard or care about your hockey career
2. If you have a family, you don’t work hard or care about your hockey career and legacy.
3. If you’ve made a lot of money playing hockey, you don’t care about your hockey career and are mailing it in, but only if your older, >30.
4. Talent doesn’t matter, as long as your “hungry”.
5. If your older than 30, your a cancer in the locker room.
6. And most importantly, even though you know absolutely nothing about the actual locker room atmosphere, nor the interpersonal relationships of the players in said locker room, you can talk shit about them endlessly, as if you’re some sort of authority on the subject.

This thread is an epic embarrassment.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The more I think about it, the more I think that Guerin was frustrated, and made a "rage trade". Only thing that makes sense.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
What I’ve learned in this thread, regardless of what is actually happening on the ice:

1. If your older than 30?, you don’t work hard or care about your hockey career
2. If you have a family, you don’t work hard or care about your hockey career and legacy.
3. If you’ve made a lot of money playing hockey, you don’t care about your hockey career and are mailing it in, but only if your older, >30.
4. Talent doesn’t matter, as long as your “hungry”.
5. If your older than 30, your a cancer in the locker room.
6. And most importantly, even though you know absolutely nothing about the actual locker room atmosphere, nor the interpersonal relationships of the players in said locker room, you can talk shit about them endlessly, as if you’re some sort of authority on the subject.

This thread is an epic embarrassment.
Hot take! Thanks for sharing! Come again.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
The more I think about it, the more I think that Guerin was frustrated, and made a "rage trade". Only thing that makes sense.
Or maybe he was tired of Staal's mentality and didn't want it to ruin the locker room any more than it already has.

Staal actively turned down trades to multiple contenders over the past couple years because he doesn't care about winning. That weak mentality has no place on an NHL roster and it shouldn't be one you're cheering for.

Guerin did a good thing in shipping Staal away. Any other viewpoint is naïve.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal is a bad guy for not wanting to move his family, even though he negotiated a NTC and took a deal at far below market value just so he could stay around? How awful! A player who likes it here and doesn't want to leave.

Makes me pine for the days of Havlat and Gaborik, two guys who couldn't wait to leave town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad