Confirmed with Link: Marcus Johansson to the Wild for Eric Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Staal is a bad guy for not wanting to move his family, even though he negotiated a NTC and took a deal at far below market value just so he could stay around? How awful! A player who likes it here and doesn't want to leave.
Bad guy? No. Terrible role model for young guys learning what it takes to win in the NHL? Probably

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Staal is a bad guy for not wanting to move his family, even though he negotiated a NTC and took a deal at far below market value just so he could stay around? How awful! A player who likes it here and doesn't want to leave.
Don't be scared you can quote me when you're responding.

Also, try addressing what I actually said. Nobody talked about him being a bad guy. I said that mentality doesn't belong on an NHL team. Feel free to argue that fact all your heart desires.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Or maybe he was tired of Staal's mentality and didn't want it to ruin the locker room any more than it already has.

Staal actively turned down trades to multiple contenders over the past couple years because he doesn't care about winning. That weak mentality has no place on an NHL roster and it shouldn't be one you're cheering for.

Guerin did a good thing in shipping Staal away. Any other viewpoint is naïve.

This is true. Staal wanted a comfortable life in Minnesota, that was his priority. He was also against the playoffs this year, for no reason. I'm sure he'd prefer to collect his millions at home with his family. The playoffs have been a huge success, not a single covid test has turned out positive inside the bubble.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
so guerin has traded away 2-20 goal scorers now without replacing their production , can anyone explain which line another lw marcus johansson plays on? staal was a class act im disappointed he said he was "shocked" to hear he was traded to buffalo.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Or maybe he was tired of Staal's mentality and didn't want it to ruin the locker room any more than it already has.

Staal actively turned down trades to multiple contenders over the past couple years because he doesn't care about winning. That weak mentality has no place on an NHL roster and it shouldn't be one you're cheering for.

Guerin did a good thing in shipping Staal away. Any other viewpoint is naïve.

Staal is completely within his right to reject trades to contenders, as it is a part of his contract. It’s pretty obvious by the cheap extension he signed that he wanted to stay here. I would say a big reason for that would be his kids entering school and building relationships. Can be very tough on a kid to leave their friends and move to a new state/school.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
This is true. Staal wanted a comfortable life in Minnesota, that was his priority. He was also against the playoffs this year, for no reason. I'm sure he'd prefer to collect his millions at home with his family. The playoffs have been a huge success, not a single covid test has turned out positive inside the bubble.

Leaving your family behind in a different country in the middle of a pandemic is a pretty big f***ing reason.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
A large majority of players didn't think that was a problem...

Many players voiced their concerns over leaving their families. Staal still showed up. There's no way you can criticize a guy for still showing up, despite him personally believing the playoffs shouldn't have happened.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Staal is completely within his right to reject trades to contenders, as it is a part of his contract. It’s pretty obvious by the cheap extension he signed that he wanted to stay here. I would say a big reason for that would be his kids entering school and building relationships. Can be very tough on a kid to leave their friends and move to a new state/school.
And Guerin is completely in his right to not want players like that on his team.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Also, try addressing what I actually said. Nobody talked about him being a bad guy. I said that mentality doesn't belong on an NHL team. Feel free to argue that fact all your heart desires.

How do you know that he didn't want to win a championship here? Because he didn't want to be traded to contenders? Koivu didn't want to get traded either, he just got lucky they gave him a NMC, but he said no when they wanted to trade him to the Islanders.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How do you know that he didn't want to win a championship here? Because he didn't want to be traded to contenders? Koivu didn't want to get traded either, he just got lucky they gave him a NMC, but he said no when they wanted to trade him to the Islanders.
Guerin isn't bringing Koivu back either.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't think anyone can blame Staal for not being happy about having to deal with the personal burden this trade places on him and his family. But he's a well-compensated professional hockey player and this is part of the business.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's not just locker room issues, and it's not that Guerin wants to get rid of older players. He wants to change the leadership group, because it didn't work. And Staal was part of that group even though he didn't wear a letter.

Reactions: a79krgm

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
It's not just locker room issues, and it's not that Guerin wants to get rid of older players. He wants to change the leadership group, because it didn't work. And Staal was part of that group even though he didn't wear a letter.

Agree. Staal's deep experience and high skill make the game is easy for him. BG didn't want the young guys influenced by his comfort level. He wants leadership that is younger and hungrier.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I am sure that Zuccarello, Suter, and Parise will inspire the troops with their youth, and desperation.

Along with Dubnyk.

I can't wait until Guerin tosses him out. Better options out there.

Also, I can't wait until Ricard Persson, Richard Park, Brad Bombardir, are all gone. He needs to clean out not just the team but the organization of former players and guys that have been here too long. Glad he didn't sign Mason back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad