Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Maybe Eller should be fighting someone his own size and who is also a scrub. Expecting one of the best players in the league to fight you is really embarrassing for him

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I didn't get to see the game so this is the first time I have seen it. Calling this turtling is completely inaccurate. He just refused to fight, turtling is when someone curls up in a ball and covers their head with their arms.

All Marchand did was draw a penalty, I was expecting something completely different. This is really nothing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lars Eller drops his gloves but Brad Marchand refuses to fight

After the first game of the season Marchand jumped Eller and cut him up pretty bad. Eller tries to respond with a fair challenge to Marchand tonight and he just turtles. Afterwards Eller says “Everyone saw what he is. ... There’s not a lot of integrity in his game.”

Did Marchand violate the code of the game here or are we in a new era where all that hockey code stuff is dead?
This should be to no surprise...why would the coward not answer the bell? If the roles had been reversed what would everyone be saying...Bruins fans will want him traded now. SAd...

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Eller did it wrong. He should have hit him behind and not give chance to respond.
Its not easy though. You can try to be "street-smart" yet there is always some bugger, like Marchand , who takes it one step further. Just like in school. There was always someone who managed to be a pest, a bully, a coward and cool , all in one. Often by bending the rules and come up whit new "creative" stuff to annoy others and lick up to the teachers at the same time. Nothing new here.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Maybe Eller should be fighting someone his own size and who is also a scrub. Expecting one of the best players in the league to fight you is really embarrassing for him
I wouldn’t exactly call Eller a scrub, I mean unless you are a kid who only sees assists and goals as value.

Eller is a damn possession beast, and a great po asset.
Does well on the pk, and gets few o zone starts to boot.

Yes Marchand is more skilled and a damn good player, but he is also an asshole, there can be no doubts about it.

He is good at being an asshole tho.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It would more of news story, if the headline had read, Marchand DOESN'T turtle. Marchand (and he certainly isn't the only one in the league) loves scrums where the linesmen intervene.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This should be to no surprise...why would the coward not answer the bell? If the roles had been reversed what would everyone be saying...Bruins fans will want him traded now. SAd...
If the roles were reversed there would be a thread clowning on Marchand for taking a stupid penalty.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The way I look at this situation is this..

Everyone in this thread is right, I get why he wouldn't fight in that spot, I also think he does owe Eller a fair fight at some point.

Marchand is Cleary one of the best talents in the league, he is also one of the biggest rats in the game

Everyone is right

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Well yeah sure, if the "one of the best players in the league" didnt jump on him last time and publicly call him out for "not respecting the code" for celebrating a goal. Right after licking punch of peoples faces few months earlier.

Marchand is very effective pest and highly talented. Fun player to have around the league! Just hoping he would back up the 'code'-talk even once, or atleast stop talking about 'the code' if you are going to keep doing whatever.

Last edited:

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
A pathetic, but expected scene from Brad Marchand. The icing on the cake were the 2 dives he tried to sell and got laughed at for in the third period last night. The guy is an embarrassing excuse for a professional hockey player and Lars shouldn't' have given him the courtesy of patience, should have just suckered him like Marchand did on opening night.

Guy is a POS.

Reactions: Lurch and BLONG7

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
because skilled players are free to play their game without wasting time with lesser players? this is the best hockey has been in a while
There's no longer any intimidation, guys are free to do whatever the want and hide behind a cowardly Instigator penalty that they know protects them. Little guys who would have been destroyed in years past are given free reign to run around and be considered generational and no one can touch them. It's gone too far.

There should be a downside to icing a physically smaller team, there at least should be an option that the smaller team can be beaten physically. Now they've all but taken it out of the equation.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
There's no longer any intimidation, guys are free to do whatever the want and hide behind a cowardly Instigator penalty that they know protects them. Little guys who would have been destroyed in years past are given free reign to run around and be considered generational and no one can touch them. It's gone too far.

There should be a downside to icing a physically smaller team, there at least should be an option that the smaller team can be beaten physically. Now they've all but taken it out of the equation.

You can try and beat up the small, skill guys but they'll beat you on the scoreboard. Eg. Brayden Point, Alex DeBrincat, Johnny Gaudreau etc etc.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Not defending Marchand but are you saying you'd rather your kid be violent and solve problems with their fists? Rather they give in to a narrative or a code they may not beleive in? I am not judging you or your methods I just find your statement very bold. We aren't talking about the Character Ethic or fighting oppression, it's a sport, a battle of strength and will. I think Marchand does a lot of unethical things in his game, not fighting and helping his team out is not one of them. The team and winning comes first.
In hockey? Absolutely.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You can try and beat up the small, skill guys but they'll beat you on the scoreboard. Eg. Brayden Point, Alex DeBrincat, Johnny Gaudreau etc etc.
It isn't' about beating them up, it's about being able to hit them and you can't anymore. You get 2 minutes for hitting hard, you can't rub a guy out on the boards, can't rough guys up after the whistles etc.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Lars Eller drops his gloves but Brad Marchand refuses to fight

After the first game of the season Marchand jumped Eller and cut him up pretty bad. Eller tries to respond with a fair challenge to Marchand tonight and he just turtles. Afterwards Eller says “Everyone saw what he is. ... There’s not a lot of integrity in his game.”

Did Marchand violate the code of the game here or are we in a new era where all that hockey code stuff is dead?
Cowards will cower. This should shock no one since it's his MO.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Wouldve been stupid for Marchand to fight at that point. Halfway thru the game and down 1-0? Different story if it is the first 5 minutes of the game. I didnt watch, but why did Eller wait so long? Was the 12 minute mark of the 2nd period the first time they were on the ice together?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Lmao. No. The root problems are rats like Marchand who don’t have to account for their actions.

You can quote all the statistics you want. The only thing keeping the nunhl afloat is corporate lower bowl/suite tickets. Florida, Arizona and Carolina will likely be bankrupt soon.

I like people like this. Proven undeniable facts like that the NHL is making more money are "wrong" just because this guy says so.

Dont be so blind, sheeple!

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I thought this was great, and I was really hoping that Marchand scored on the ensuing power play because I bet he would have mocked Eller for being fool enough to get that penalty.

Now if we could just figure out how the hell to beat Holtby, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad