Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
100 percent untrue.
A pitcher gave up a homerun as a closer and the guy who hit it loaded around the bases. The players didn't see each other until one was traded to the other's team.

First pitch in spring practice, right in the back. The hitter " what was that for?!?!?" The pitcher " you loafed around the bases two seasons ago"
The hitter "ok"
yeah, that's throwing a fit, just 2 years later. That's even worse :laugh:

And again, that's really not at all relevant to what happens in hockey. For one thing, that's not something that is against a rule. So having the players deal with guys being dicks is different than having the players deal with guys actually breaking the rules.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
yeah, that's throwing a fit, just 2 years later. That's even worse :laugh:

And again, that's really not at all relevant to what happens in hockey. For one thing, that's not something that is against a rule. So having the players deal with guys being dicks is different than having the players deal with guys actually breaking the rules.
Throwing a fit 2 years later?
Yeah that's not throwing a fit. That's settling the ledger.

But if you don"t think that baseball players protect each other congratulations your ignorance of baseball matches and might even surpass your ignorance of hockey.

Field players will fight their OWN pitchers who refuse to protect them.

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
Every fanbase on this website is hypocritical. All I see here is fans of rival teams (Tor, MTL, VAN) bringing up shit from 10 years ago to condemn Bruins fans.

Toronto fans are extra salty, not only because of the recent history, but because when the Bruins were actually a tough team they used to kick their ass almost every game.

Then there’s Caps fans who are mad that their guy didn’t get to fight Marchand. I would probably be upset too if I was a Caps fan, but I would get over it quick knowing my team won 14 straight against the B’s.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is a farcical false narrative.

The idea here is not one of strategy or relative value to their team or the score or how many minutes the players play.
This boils down to one thing and one thing only, consent.

In the blowout Marchand forced the issue with a an unwilling ( by action and history) lars eller because he thought ( as did I) that eller was trying to show the bruins up in a blowout. Whether he was or not is moot, but if Marchand thought that eller was trying to show him up, he has the prerogative to settle for this transgression.

But he also has an obligation to do it without suckering the guy. You think a guy is showing you up, square up FIRST then throw.

Now if Marchand thinks that his perception that eller was trying to show him up removes ellers prerogative to decline, then by JUMPING an unknowing eller, eller has at least an equivalent beef that Marchand, instead of squaring up first has ALSO taken a liberty.

That being the case eller now has reason to belive that if he wants to push the issue that Marchand has to accept in order to atone for getting the jump on eller. He doesn't have to fight Tom wilson, this is a beef between eller and Marchand. If eller wants to let it slide, that's his prerogative. If he doesn't and does want to seek redress, Marchand has to answer.

He didn't.

Any other rationalization leads to the idea that you can play as loosely goosey with your stick or run anyone in the numbers and then decide to hide behind your reticence to settle.

The players are clear, they unanimously reject this idea.

If you do not take liberties, the same idea protects you almost completely. You don't have to fear some third liner is going to force the issue with your first line winger. But if this first line winger is perceived to have taken liberties, he no longer has the right to refuse.

Easy, peasy.

I get it you hate Brad.

Reactions: CamMac

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Just shorten the thread title to "Marchand refuse to fight". Players that sucker punch, or lick the opponent's faces need to get pummeled.
I expect Probert is turning in his grave.

Reactions: cliffclaven

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
of course you realize that's not even a remotely similar situation to what we're discussing, so I'm not going to bother with a long response. But in short, that's not a code where the players are fighting to enforce the rules or anything like it. That's a frustrated player/team letting a winning team get under their skin. They aren't enforcing anything, they are throwing a bit of a fit.

Not even remotely similar? Marchand tuned up Eller for taunting his bench in a blowout. Seems pretty similar to a pitcher throwing at a guy for showboating in a blowout.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
One of these days someone is just gonna lose it on Marchand

I appreciate his skill level, but the antics that come with it are rarely addressed by opposing teams. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: BLONG7

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I get it you hate Brad.
if you could read, i said ( and have repeatedly said) that I hate the bruins, but I kind of like marchand. that like ( unlike some in this thread) doesnt remove him, and only him, from having to settle.

but great response ! trenchant in its depth !

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Every fanbase on this website is hypocritical. All I see here is fans of rival teams (Tor, MTL, VAN) bringing up **** from 10 years ago to condemn Bruins fans.

Toronto fans are extra salty, not only because of the recent history, but because when the Bruins were actually a tough team they used to kick their ass almost every game.

Then there’s Caps fans who are mad that their guy didn’t get to fight Marchand. I would probably be upset too if I was a Caps fan, but I would get over it quick knowing my team won 14 straight against the B’s.

upload_2019-1-12_12-7-46.jpeg

Reactions: kicksavedave

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
If Marchand is gonna duck him, I guess we will never know.

But they will meet again, and if Marchand decides ( based on the situation) to finally settle that makes him, by definition, a spotpicker.

He's either a spot picker or afraid of lars eller. Your choice.
I doubt anyone in the league is afraid of Eller.
This could end being like the Wilson/Olesiak incident. Wilson decided not to fight Olesiak during the playoffs and was foolishly called out by the Pens management. He granted them their wish in the next meeting and Olesiak ended up getting concussed.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
if you could read, i said ( and have repeatedly said) that I hate the bruins, but I kind of like marchand. that like ( unlike some in this thread) doesnt remove him, and only him, from having to settle.

but great response ! trenchant in its depth !

Your "responses" make it very clear your "opinions", saying you hate the Bruins is not necessary.

Personally I find Brad stunts (not his suspensions) kinda funny, including this one. Played Eller perfectly.

Reactions: Ladyfan

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I doubt anyone in the league is afraid of Eller.
This could end being like the Wilson/Olesiak incident. Wilson decided not to fight Olesiak during the playoffs and was foolishly called out by the Pens management. He granted them their wish in the next meeting and Olesiak ended up getting concussed.

and this is eller's perogative. But when you have marchand who completely ignored eller's reticence in the first fight, cowering face down on the ice with kis gloves velcroed to his hands as they cover his head below a gloveless lars eller, there isnt much interpretation there. its not like eller jumped him. eller initiatied and faced with fighting a WILLING opponent, marchand decidesd the fetal position was the better choice.

if marchand knew he could beat eller clean, why did he jump him in the fitst fight and turtle in the second ?
Perhaps he knows he can only beat him by taking a short cuts ?

either way, if marchand does the respectable thing there, win lose of draw the beef is settled. But turtling doesn't squash the beef even if he hopes it does. and next time, it might not be lars looking to settle the ledger. IF this comes to pass, marchand bears responsibility irrespective of the outcome.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Your "responses" make it very clear your "opinions", saying you hate the Bruins is not necessary.

Personally I find Brad stunts (not his suspensions) kinda funny, including this one. Played Eller perfectly.

played him by turtling ? or by spot picking ? sure. if he wants to look like he will only go with lars eller by getting the jump on him and will duck eller in every other circumstance, he's playing someone alright.

so do you not longer " get it that I hate marchand" ?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'm a fight fan. The elite top line scorer never has to fight the 3rd line player. Eller had his chance when they squared up last time even with Marchand getting the jump. 5'9 Marchand, nearly any other player would at least ragdoll him. I expect even Krejci could.

You can't claim you're a fight fan based on the bolded, sorry.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
played him by turtling ? or by spot picking ? sure. if he wants to look like he will only go with lars eller by getting the jump on him and will duck eller in every other circumstance, he's playing someone alright.

so do you not longer " get it that I hate marchand" ?

Funny in your post #669 below you state:

either way, if marchand does the respectable thing there, win lose of draw the beef is settled. But turtling doesn't squash the beef even if he hopes it does. and next time, it might not be lars looking to settle the ledger. IF this comes to pass, marchand bears responsibility irrespective of the outcome.

Do you realize who Brad is? The role he plays of pest? You realize pests often do not play by some old school code of honour in hockey? You think Brad cares even a tiny bit about letting Eller settle anything? Brad fought him once, beat him......you can judge whether it was fair fight or not......I don't care and not the point here. Brad has zero incentive to fight a depth player like Eller at this point. Fight one, the game was out of hand and Eller chirped and Brad fought him. Now? Zero reason to fight him, certainly honour has zero to do with Brad who is a world class pest. If Brad ever fights Eller who is a depth player......it will be when Brad wants to fight him......not when Eller wants to fight Brad. Again Brad is a world class pest, star and very smart......he's not going to fight plugs or depth guys whenever they want to dance......just a silly ideal.

Reactions: Ladyfan

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Will Bruin fans have the same sentiment tonight if Hyman refuses to answer the bell for his late hit last game on McAvoy?

I honestly forgot about Hyman, so I wouldn’t care. Plus he already served his supension. Dude forfeited thousands of dollars. That’s worse than getting a couple punches to the face.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Funny in your post #669 below you state:

Do you realize who Brad is? The role he plays of pest? You realize pests often do not play by some old school code of honour in hockey? You think Brad cares even a tiny bit about letting Eller settle anything? Brad fought him once, beat him......you can judge whether it was fair fight or not......I don't care and not the point here. Brad has zero incentive to fight a depth player like Eller at this point. Fight one, the game was out of hand and Eller chirped and Brad fought him. Now? Zero reason to fight him, certainly honour has zero to do with Brad who is a world class pest. If Brad ever fights Eller who is a depth player......it will be when Brad wants to fight him......not when Eller wants to fight Brad. Again Brad is a world class pest, star and very smart......he's not going to fight plugs or depth guys whenever they want to dance......just a silly ideal.

no that is very much the point here. why you cant see it is beyond me.

you jump a guy and feed him and when he wants to go straight up you decline, you are a spotpicker at best, a coward at worst.

so in your world, if a first line player is deemed to have taken liberties ( oh I don't know like forcing the issue with an unwilling opponent) HE gets to decide when the ledger is settled ?

" that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works"

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
no that is very much the point here. why you cant see it is beyond me.

you jump a guy and feed him and when he wants to go straight up you decline, you are a spotpicker at best, a coward at worst.

so in your world, if a first line player is deemed to have taken liberties ( oh I don't know like forcing the issue with an unwilling opponent) HE gets to decide when the ledger is settled ?

" that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works"

See the issue you don’t get is your expecting and judging Brad by some honour code that he doesn’t apply to in the least. Heck the fact you still don’t get it makes me wonder if you know who Brad even is. Brad isn’t going to fight every 3rd/4th liner/plug that wants to take him off the ice for 5 mins. I get Eller was embarrassed after the first fight and wants to try to redeem himself but trying to challenge Brad in a close game or when Brad isn’t interested isn’t going to do it. Brad will decide when or if a 2nd fight will ever happen unless Eller gives Brad some incentive to fight like pisses him off etc. Thinking Brad will fight a depth player just bc of some honour code Brad clearly doesn’t believe in is the dumbest thing ever. Very simple here....

Reactions: jgatie

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
This thread is 27 pages.

The thread where a player actually punched a ref is 3 pages.

Keep doing you Marchand lol

Not even a fan of Bruins or Brad....so funny to see how he gets under so many fans skin. Fans can’t even discuss him rationally. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad