Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Lars Eller drops his gloves but Brad Marchand refuses to fight

After the first game of the season Marchand jumped Eller and cut him up pretty bad. Eller tries to respond with a fair challenge to Marchand tonight and he just turtles. Afterwards Eller says “Everyone saw what he is. ... There’s not a lot of integrity in his game.”

Did Marchand violate the code of the game here or are we in a new era where all that hockey code stuff is dead?
Its Eller's fault for not chopping him in the side of his head with his stick.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
He’s a great player and seems to have an uncanny ability to do whatever would be the most hated thing possible in most scenarios.
He isn't hated. He is a coward. Cowards do cowardly things and people that arent cowards get frustrated when they are rewarded for it. Other cowards see him doing cowardly things and enjoy it because they are also cowards. This isn't something that needed a thread.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He’s a great player and seems to have an uncanny ability to do whatever would be the most hated thing possible in most scenarios.

Absolutely. It's his thing though, so I don't get all upset about his antics all the time. I have no applauds for him refusing Eller but I fully get why he did it. He's the definition of a guy who you hate but would love to have on your team. Sort of like Mark Messier (and I realize Messier was higher caliber player). He was so f***ing infuriating to watch when your team played against him. Vicious, dirty and yes, gutless. Yet he won games to his team on a constant basis.

I heard Gordie Howe was similar too. Although back in the days there was no choice of refusing a fight,

Reactions: compan

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Marchand is a hell of a player. It's a shame he plays the way he does. It really takes attention away from how good of a hockey player he actually is.
Its 100% true. And he doesn't need to be a dirtbag either. Let's not get it twisted here though, he doesn't play on the edge, he regularly crosses the line. It's very hard to respect him as a player. And I know Bruins fans will sing all day about how others are jealous that my team doesn't have him. Well sure, I'd love to have him and his production. But if he were a Leaf, I'd be embarrassed by him far too often.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Turtle. You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Marchand stood there and didn’t move. Had he done something that warranted a fight, sure I’d be annoyed he didn’t answer for it. No need or reason for a fight in this situation.

Reactions: Ladyfan and MetM

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I mean the Bruins were down a goal so I wouldn't want Marchand fighting there anyway.

Maybe wait till the end of the game to challenge him?

Down a goal, halfway through the game against a goalie and team you can never beat. Seems like an apt time if there ever was.

you usually don't wanna fight when your team is up and controlling the pace of the game and someone from the other team tries to change that momentum.

Reactions: Drakon

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Absolutely. It's his thing though, so I don't get all upset about his antics all the time. I have no applauds for him refusing Eller but I fully get why he did it. He's the definition of a guy who you hate but would love to have on your team. Sort of like Mark Messier (and I realize Messier was higher caliber player). He was so ****ing infuriating to watch when your team played against him. Vicious, dirty and yes, gutless. Yet he won games to his team on a constant basis.

I heard Gordie Howe was similar too. Although back in the days there was no choice of refusing a fight,

I think "gutless" goes a little far when it comes to Messier. But yeah, I don't think people realize how dirty and vicious he was. I remember a night when it looked like he and Vladimir Konstantinov were literally trying to murder each other, or at least take out an eyeball. Butt-ends, elbows, two handers, a couple of fights. It got out of hand, even by the standards of the day.

I know it's not the "in" thing to say, but Vlad was dirty as hell too.

Reactions: Plural
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad