Marchand Refuses to fight Against Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think "gutless" goes a little far when it comes to Messier. But yeah, I don't think people realize how dirty and vicious he was. I remember a night when it looked like he and Vladimir Konstantinov looked like they were literally trying to murder each other, or at least take out an eyeball. Butt-ends, elbows, two handers, a couple of fights. It got out of hand, even by the standards of the day.

I guess it might go bit too far. Messier did carry his dues. But man was he a dirty POS. God damn great hockey player, but he wasn't afraid to hurt opponents. And I don't mean Scott Stevens style with borderline hits and such. Messier went full on dirty. Like you said, butt ends, elbows, etc. He'd literally do anything to beat you.

Konstantinov was a hard mofo too. I don't remember the game you're talking about but I'll have to look it up. Sounds interesting. :laugh:

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Its never been a secret that Marchand is a coward and picks his moments to be tough when dudes are at the end of a shift or not looking. Its also never been a secret that other cowards think he is great because they see him succeeding the the NHL and hope that one day their cowardice wont get in the way of their future.

To be fair when you are 5’9 180lbs you kinda have to pick your spots

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Its never been a secret that Marchand is a coward and picks his moments to be tough when dudes are at the end of a shift or not looking. Its also never been a secret that other cowards think he is great because they see him succeeding the the NHL and hope that one day their cowardice wont get in the way of their future.

This is one of the very few times he's been challenged and not responded (and for good reason, round one said it all). Carry on with the blind hatred.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I'd like to love the Pinocchio but damn does he make it hard.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
He's a Bruin. Typical. Does Jackass edwards have anything to say?

GET UP!

Reactions: Lilou

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I guess it might go bit too far. Messier did carry his dues. But man was he a dirty POS. God damn great hockey player, but he wasn't afraid to hurt opponents. And I don't mean Scott Stevens style with borderline hits and such. Messier went full on dirty. Like you said, butt ends, elbows, etc. He'd literally do anything to beat you.

Konstantinov was a hard mofo too. I don't remember the game you're talking about but I'll have to look it up. Sounds interesting. :laugh:

I can't really remember Messier in his prime, but as a kid, I remember I couldn't believe how many elbows he threw, and how rarely the commentators called him on it, let alone the refs. But yeah, he could turn a game into a war. And a lot of those elbows made their way onto Rock Em Sock Em videos with the introduction, "LOOK AT THESE BEAUTY HITS!!!"

The game I'm talking about would have been around 95 or 96. I've never been able to find the video as an adult. It was an insane game though. They just went at it all game. If I'm not mistaken, Mess got ejected for three fights (two with Vlad), but that part could be off. Distinctly remember a butt end to Vlad's face, but I'm pretty sure Vlad got him with a cross check to the face. It still sticks out as the most insane game-long personal battle I've ever seen.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
This is one of the very few times he's been challenged and not responded (and for good reason, round one said it all). Carry on with the blind hatred.

blah blah blah....whenever Boston challeneges someone and the other team doesnt reply they are scared, they are horrible, they are punks. Never a valid reason for them. Marchand is a punk, he was scared. Its ok.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I can't really remember Messier in his prime, but as a kid, I remember I couldn't believe how many elbows he threw, and how rarely the commentators called him on it, let alone the refs. But yeah, he could turn a game into a war. And a lot of those elbows made their way onto Rock Em Sock Em videos with the introduction, "LOOK AT THESE BEAUTY HITS!!!"

The game I'm talking about would have been around 95 or 96. I've never been able to find the video as an adult. It was an insane game though. They just went at it all game. If I'm not mistaken, Mess got ejected for three fights (two with Vlad), but that part could be off. Distinctly remember a butt end to Vlad's face, but I'm pretty sure Vlad got him with a cross check to the face. It still sticks out as the most insane game-long personal battle I've ever seen.

The bolded part sounds insane when you try to slot that kind of behavior to todays game. :laugh:

Reactions: DFC

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Why is anyone surprised here? Marchand isn’t a fighter, he is a rat, plain and simple.

Unless the player he is provoking isn’t smaller and weaker then he is, he is unlikely to be willing to fight.

Reactions: Lilou

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
So a lot of people think it would be better if Marchand dropped his gloves. Better for whom?

Marchand did what he did last time to teach Eller a lesson. What lesson does he teach he then lets Eller beat him up?
Kissy- face is pretty far from being a 'teacher'of anything life -related...Seriously,.is this who you want your kids to be like?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The bolded part sounds insane when you try to slot that kind of behavior to todays game. :laugh:

Yeah, but those were the times, right? There was a reason teams didn't like drafting small, skilled players through that era. Guys like Messier and Vlad were out there eating people alive. They'd likely have eaten Marchand alive too, mind you.

All that said, I prefer the game the way it is now. With the size and speed of the players today, it would only be a matter of time before somebody died if the game was played with the rules and code of the 70s-90s.

Reactions: Plural

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Love watching Marchand make Eller look idiotic yet again. Eller gets his ass kicked last time they met and then in the next game, takes a stupid penalty in a close game as he tries to get back at Marchand.

Caps have the Bruins number though. They are just too good.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, but those were the times, right? There was a reason teams didn't like drafting small, skilled players through that era. Guys like Messier and Vlad were out there eating people alive. They'd likely have eaten Marchand alive too, mind you.

All that said, I prefer the game the way it is now. With the size and speed of the players today, it would only be a matter of time before somebody died if the game was played with the rules and code of the 70s-90s.

I prefer it too. Skill and talent is appreciated over size and viciousness. Prefer it much more.

There's this video from the 40's, where Maurice Richard (If I remember correctly) gets mad and hits the referee in the head with stick. Rink has changed a lot and for the better.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Marchand’s only code is to piss people off and play very good hockey.
I don’t like him but the guy is consistent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->