Marchand is currently top 5 for the Hart. Change my Mind.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
Both.
If you think reputation does not impact something like MVP then you don't understand that the people who vote on the awards are humans that are affected by such biases.

The spirit of the award is most valuable player. If your opinion is based off of who is voting for the award then you're not truly going just by a players value to the team.

Reactions: FanSince72

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The spirit of the award is most valuable player. If your opinion is based off of who is voting for the award then you're not truly going just by a players value to the team.

Yes, and the spirit of the award can take a backseat to people's biases.
Remember the John Scott fiasco?
Hell, even just watching I, Tonya shows that sports scoring/voting isn't always on merit.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Most awards are popularity contests.

Remember the boys at TSN saying they were all voting Crosby for the CS in 2016 during game 3 no matter what happened lol.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Feb 1, 2018
Yes, and the spirit of the award can take a backseat to people's biases.
Remember the John Scott fiasco?
Hell, even just watching I, Tonya shows that sports scoring/voting isn't always on merit.

Yes but in this thread we're discussing our opinions through our own points of view not the POV of the voters.

The conversation is a players' value to the team not the players value to the Hart award voters. I don't think that's a valid argument.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yes but in this thread we're discussing our opinions through our own points of view not the POV of the voters.

The conversation is a players' value to the team not the players value to the Hart award voters. I don't think that's a valid argument.

You said he should be in the top 5 in votes. I'm saying realistically he won't be because of his reputation.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Feb 1, 2018
Ok then refer to the first few replies on better candidates.

My argument is that he's basically in the same position as Kucherov and Malkin just with less games played.

I think Kucherov benefits from Stammer more than Marchand benefits from Bergeron. I also think a lot of Marchand's value comes from things you can't measure in stats the same way it does for Bergeron.

I'm not arguing he should win because it's Hall all the way and then Nate Mac if the Avs squeak into the playoffs. I feel bad for McDavid but I don't think he belongs in the discussion the way the team's been playing.

Hall, Malkin, McKinnon(/Ovechkin), Kucherov, Marchand

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He does deserve to be in the conversation as most of his points are directly dictated by him and his tenacity on the puck, searching out the puck and keeping it. Other then Crosby there may be no better player at protecting the puck and taking so many hits to get it to the net. Add to that his elite penalty killing and he is a legit top 200 foot player in this league.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
lol there's no way he's even been brought up, he's an afterthought, a fart in the wind and there's absolutely no chance he wins it.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Ah the beauty of ignoring games played. Marchand is 4 points ahead of Pastrnak, while having played 13 less games. If he had played those 13 games, that + 4 points ought to probably have become a +20/21 points.

> ought to probably
Does your bias for the Bruins force you to overlook clearly presented facts and counter with speculation?

More information (should you choose to accept it as fact):
  • One reason he has less GP is a five-game suspension for elbowing Marcus Johansson earlier this season.
  • He just clotheslined Duclair away from the puck resulting in an injury.
  • He's persistently a focus of the department of player safety.
  • One member of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association votes for their Top 5 Hart candidates from each city. You can already make a short-list of cities where he's getting 0 points and arguably only one city giving him 5 or more points.
screen-shot-2018-03-10-at-12-34-58-pm.png

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
> ought to probably
Does your bias for the Bruins force you to overlook clearly presented facts and counter with speculation?

More information (should you choose to accept it as fact):
  • One reason he has less GP is a five-game suspension for elbowing Marcus Johansson earlier this season.
  • He just clotheslined Duclair away from the puck resulting in an injury.
  • He's persistently a focus of the department of player safety.
  • One member of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association votes for their Top 5 Hart candidates from each city. You can already make a short-list of cities where he's getting 0 points and arguably only one city giving him 5 or more points.
screen-shot-2018-03-10-at-12-34-58-pm.png

Check this "speculation" now: Marchand has 109 points in his last 82 games. So, it's HIGHLY likely that in 13 games he would put up another 16-17 points, seen he has been doing it for the whole of 2017 & 2018.

About your bullet points:
- the fact that Marchand got suspended 5 games has nothing to do with the fact that he is a player that is plenty capable of putting up points at 1.30ish ppg pace, which is what I have been saying all along.
Anyways... The original argument was that Marchand didn't separate himself from the rest of the team production-wise and that is simply false because he is putting up points at least at a 30+% higher pace than anyone else in the team.
- he got nothing for Duclair because he did nothing wrong. He didn't even get a call from the league.
- "persistently" says you.
- to be frank, I couldn't care less who votes for him or not for the Hart. As long as he puts up 1.30 ppg for the Bruins, I am perfectly happy with Marchand.

C60FE055-6842-4F39-B1D7-A8D039C47B66.gif

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I love Marchand, but in terms of an MVP award I think missing games for an avoidable reason such as a dops suspension hurts his total "value". He provides exactly zero value and probably negative value because of the disruption to the line up during that time he spends suspended.

Again one of my favorite players, still he frustrates the hell out of me.

Last edited:

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I don't know, does Perry have his own video dedicated to his dirty plays?
Well if you just youtube corey perry dirty plays you'll get a looooong list of results. Just because noone made a compilation doesn't mean he's not a dirty player as well.
For what it's worth I don't think that should enter at all in to a conversation about whether or not a player gets Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad