Marchand is currently top 5 for the Hart. Change my Mind.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Marchand on the ice is a trash person, and he's not very aesthetically pleasing to the naked eye. Having said that, has there been more than 3-4 forwards that have been better than him in the last 2-3 seasons? Must be because of his height because his skill, tenacity and edge should be celebrated.

If you are trying to knock a player based on looks, well then....

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Im hoping for another Bruins/Toronto Series. Not just because I want the Bolts to win the division but Bruins/Toronto series are usually epic.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Not enough games played but he's been a man on fire, would be shocked if he got any votes at all but it's pretty obvious he's been carrying the team through these injuries.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
No.

Ovechkin, Hall, MacK, Kucherov, Malkin, Giroux, Kopitar, McDavid, Barkov pretty easily ahead.

Nope. Only McKinnon, Kucherov and Malkin have a higher ppg (and Marchand has kept up his ppg for the last ~85 games he played).
And lo and behold, Marchand is also 2nd overall in the league in plus/minus at +32, which is more than double the best plus/minus of any of the three with a higher ppg.
Not only he produces like the best of the best of any of the competition, he is also a two way monster.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The past 10 winners (that are skaters) have had a huge lead over second on their team:
McDavid: 23 point lead
Kane: 29 point lead
Crosby: 32 point lead
Ovechkin: 7 point lead (lockout)
Malkin: 28 point lead
Perry: 18 point lead
Sedin: 27 point lead
Ovechkin: 22 point lead
Ovechkin: 43 point lead
Crosby: 35 point lead

Do the math with your Marchand. He's not going to win it mate.
Ah the beauty of ignoring games played. Marchand is 4 points ahead of Pastrnak, while having played 13 less games. If he had played those 13 games, that + 4 points ought to probably have become a +20/21 points.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Even dumber to act as if it's a guaranteed fact that if he hadn't missed any games his points per game would be exactly the same.

Now answer what value does his pace give to the team if he hasn't actually produced it?

Only death and taxes are guaranteed... But one can't exactly call "dumb" the notion of the very strong likelihood of Marchand steadily producing at this rate, when one knows that Marchand has produced 121 points (58 goals, 63 assists) in the last 93 games he played (= since January 1st, 2017). That's a 1.30 ppg that he maintained for the past 13+ months.... and he is currently at 1.29 for the 17-18 season. He is "Mr steady" when points production is concerned.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ah the beauty of ignoring games played. Marchand is 4 points ahead of Pastrnak, while having played 13 less games. If he had played those 13 games, that + 4 points ought to probably have become a +20/21 points.

People are ignoring it because it's not relevant. Games played matter in an MVP discussion. You're not providing value with missed games

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
People are ignoring it because it's not relevant. Games played matter in an MVP discussion. You're not providing value with missed games
I am providing context that shows that saying that Marchand hasn't got enough separation from the 2nd best Bruins producer is a truly faulty argument because games played matters a LOT in that.

Or are you inferring that a player who is at 1.30 ppg for the last 93 games played would most likely have had his production shut down in the 13 games he missed?

Jan 21, 2018
Hilarious to see people voting Kucherov, Malkin, Marchand etc.

Don't get me wrong, these guys are stars and make their team that much better. But they aren't the "most valuable player" in the league. Their teams would still be great without them in the lineup.

Mackinnon/Hall's teams would be in the running for Dahlin right now without them. The Hart discussion starts and ends with those two.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If he hadn't missed so many games he would easily be in the discussion for MVP. Not only is he producing at an elite level, he is outstanding defensively, on the PK, and is scoring a lot of game winning goals with Bergeron out.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I am providing context that shows that saying that Marchand hasn't got enough separation from the 2nd best Bruins producer is a truly faulty argument because games played matters a LOT in that.

Or are you inferring that a player who is at 1.30 ppg for the last 93 games played would most likely have had his production shut down in the 13 games he missed?

And again, that context isn't relevant in an MVP debate. If he played the games and had the separation, then it would be, but he hasn't. The issue isn't whether or not he's stood out above his teammates in the games he's played, it's how much more value over the season he's provided. And even with the PPG edge, I'm not sure he's separated himself from Bergeron. He's probably been a top 5 player per game this year, but unless you really stand out above the pack like '13 Crosby or '00 Jagr, you're not going to get a lot of Hart votes playing less than 70 games in a season.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He's not. Maybe top ten. Bergeron had to be ahead of him before he got injured again too

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
no he's on a really good team and on a really good line. Bergeron was a more of a candidate than him before doing down.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He's a one of the reasons the line is good. It's no coincidence Marchand is on one of the top lines in the NHL and was also on what was consider the best line in the world with Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron.

Reactions: FanSince72

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
All these people with "change my mind" in their thread should be forced to change their title instead. Anyways Malkin, Kucherov, Hedman, McDavid, and Mackinnon are all either ahead or at the same level imo.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I’m not saying he should win It, but he should certainly be in the discussion, right? These last two years have been his “breakout” years and the Bruins have re emerged as a result.

Marchand should be in the top 5 for Hart voting. Change my mind.
Marchand isn't in contention for the Hart.
Change my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad