Marchand is currently top 5 for the Hart. Change my Mind.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
It is a pretty safe bet that he would continue scoring at the rate he has scored over the past two seasons. There is no reason to expect otherwise. Obviously nobody can prove this but I think you would have to be a fool to bet against it.
Marchand hasn't scored at a pace that would get him 2 points behind Kucherov for the last 2 seasons.

Marchand's wild oish% makes his points per game very likely to drop.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Marchand hasn't scored at a pace that would get him 2 points behind Kucherov for the last 2 seasons.

even if he drops to last years scoring rate (1.03), playing in every game would put him 6 behind Kucherov this year.

Kuch = 87
Marchand = 67 + additional 14.

and you do realize that both Marchand and Kucherov scored an identical 85 points last year, right?

Reactions: WJCJ

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

You are right, he would be 3 points behind him for this season but I did that calculation with rounding down the percentage points. Nobody said he would be 2 points behind him for the past two seasons. I said it is a good bet that Marchand would continue scoring at the pace he has for the past two seasons. That pace would put him 2 or 3 points behind Kucherov this season and I added last season to bring the average he is scoring at down a little..

People have been saying Marchand's points would drop for years now and he just keeps improving. I am sure he will drop off at some point but I really doubt he would have a big drop off right now while he is still on an upwards trajectory with his scoring and playing the best hockey of his career.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You are right, he would be 3 points behind him for this season but I did that calculation with rounding down the percentage points. Nobody said he would be 2 points behind him for the past two seasons. I said it is a good bet that Marchand would continue scoring at the pace he has for the past two seasons. That pace would put him 2 or 3 points behind Kucherov this season and I added last season to bring the average he is scoring at down a little..

People have been saying Marchand's points would drop for years now and he just keeps improving. I am sure he will drop off at some point but I really doubt he would have a big drop off right now while he is still on an upwards trajectory with his scoring and playing the best hockey of his career.
You would think there would be a dropoff after losing Bergeron,but it has actually increased.

Reactions: WJCJ

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
even if he drops to last years scoring rate (1.03), playing in every game would put him 6 behind Kucherov this year.

Kuch = 87
Marchand = 67 + additional 14.

and you do realize that both Marchand and Kucherov scored an identical 85 points last year, right?
Last year he was 1.06.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He has missed 13 games and the Bruins have a great record without him, including 4-1 during his most recent five game suspension.

There.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There are enough fans that identify Marchand as unworthy because he is prone to unwarranted cheap shots and isn't seen as someone who does it as a retaliatory measure, which is how Crosby is often excused. (I don't watch enough games of either to know the difference between them). Likely means there will be enough voters of the same opinion.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Missed too many games. If he hadn't he'd be right up there with Kucherov/Malkin/MacK. If you disagree you're lying to yourself.

Marchand has been at the same level as those players this season and the fact he is a dirty rat doesn't change it.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Marchand on the ice is a trash person, and he's not very aesthetically pleasing to the naked eye. Having said that, has there been more than 3-4 forwards that have been better than him in the last 2-3 seasons? Must be because of his height because his skill, tenacity and edge should be celebrated.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Stupid request. It implies that no projections are ever valid.
Even dumber to act as if it's a guaranteed fact that if he hadn't missed any games his points per game would be exactly the same.

Now answer what value does his pace give to the team if he hasn't actually produced it?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Even dumber to act as if it's a guaranteed fact that if he hadn't missed any games his points per game would be exactly the same.

Now answer what value does his pace give to the team if he hasn't actually produced it?
No,no it isn't. You can project on what is happening (me) or you can project on what is not happening (you). Now,what is not happening has a myriad of possibilities. What is happening,has one definitive statement.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Marchand on the ice is a trash person, and he's not very aesthetically pleasing to the naked eye. Having said that, has there been more than 3-4 forwards that have been better than him in the last 2-3 seasons? Must be because of his height because his skill, tenacity and edge should be celebrated.
I disagree with this. It's absolutely visually fascinating to watch him with the puck. He has done some intentionally nasty things that all Bruins fans hate,but his puck control is a thing of beauty.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Well his behavior on ice sometimes may not help his case. A lot of it is unnecessary and I think that is why he gets this reputation. If he didnt do the unnecessary douchey behavior on the ice he would get more respect in these things.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
No,no it isn't. You can project on what is happening (me) or you can project on what is not happening (you). Now,what is not happening has a myriad of possibilities. What is happening,has one definitive statement.
One thing doesn't need any projection and it's the fact that Marchand produced 0 points in the games he missed. Zero. Nada. No value.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
You would think there would be a dropoff after losing Bergeron,but it has actually increased.

They needed him to step up with Bergeron, McAvoy, and now Backes out of the lineup and he has just been unreal.
That has really impressed me.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
One thing doesn't need any projection and it's the fact that Marchand produced 0 points in the games he missed. Zero. Nada. No value.

That is why he won't win, but top 5 is another story for me. If he didn't miss any time maybe there would be a debate for him to be more than a top 5 candidate for the Hart.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I disagree with this. It's absolutely visually fascinating to watch him with the puck. He has done some intentionally nasty things that all Bruins fans hate,but his puck control is a thing of beauty.
I meant as in ugly. He's ugly. Too damn gross. Great player though and his chirps with Kadri for 7 games is gunna be amazing.

Reactions: Dabruins

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
All players have games where they play that they don't produce points,Kucherov has 13 of those this year as does Marchand,does that make them less valuable over a season? I think Ovechkin didn't score in 40 games during his 60G season,and probably on that same pace now,is he only valuable for 40 games? When a poster like you,dislikes a player,that poster will reach and reach and reach.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

7 GWG this season already. 67 in 52.

Prorate his scoring rate or not that is simply dominance.

I'd rather see Bergeron win the Hart because of who he is but Marchand is just as deserving if not more so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad