Marchand is currently top 5 for the Hart. Change my Mind.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
But then I'd have to watch Bruins games... pass.

Marchand may be doing "it all" while dragging Bergeron and Pasta's sorry asses along with him, but he's still not scoring at an elite enough level. He is still a step behind the big 3 right now, Malkin, Kucherov and MacKinnon. While playing the less valuable position.

He also still does a little too much sometimes, drawing unwanted attention from the officials and the head office.

What exactly is an elite enough level then? He is currently scoring at a higher rate than McDavid, Ovechkin, etc. Kucherov and Malkin are around a half a percentage point ahead of him in points per game. Kucherov and Malkin are the only guys ahead of him this year and it is very close. I guess nobody in the league is scoring at an elite enough level if we use your logic.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
No reason to be changing your mind for him to be considered top 5, I can see an argument for him being top 5. It would be different story if you though he should actually win it over some of the more deserving guys.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
This thread is about him being in the top 5, not winning the Hart.
Yeah pretty sure that there's more than 5 players above Marchand in points. Not sure why you want to award Marchand in the most valuable player category from missing games where he brought absolutely no value at all.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah pretty sure that there's more than 5 players above Marchand in points. Not sure why you want to award Marchand in the most valuable player category from missing games where he brought absolutely no value at all.

He's scoring at a higher rate than anyone other than Kucherov and Malkin. He has been steady all year. Injuries happen and you are entitled to your opinion but Marchand has been elite this year and last. It isn't all about points either, he is better defensively than almost everyone else in the top 20 in scoring with a couple of exceptions. He has been great, I would put him somewhere around #5 right now mainly because he is a wing and the guys above him are centers.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
The past 10 winners (that are skaters) have had a huge lead over second on their team:
McDavid: 23 point lead
Kane: 29 point lead
Crosby: 32 point lead
Ovechkin: 7 point lead (lockout)
Malkin: 28 point lead
Perry: 18 point lead
Sedin: 27 point lead
Ovechkin: 22 point lead
Ovechkin: 43 point lead
Crosby: 35 point lead

Do the math with your Marchand. He's not going to win it mate.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The past 10 winners (that are skaters) have had a huge lead over second on their team:

This thread is not about him winning anything. It is about him being in the top 5, that is a huge difference. On top of that, if he was not injured and didn't have a suspension and still scored at the same rate, he would have a 20+ point lead over any teammate right now, that is why I think he should be in the conversation.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
top 5 doesn't really mean much of anything.

I know if the season ended today, Mackinnon, Kucherov and Malkin (not necessarily in order) are 100% ahead of him.
Hall would be too.

Then you also have guys like Stamkos, Bergeron, Kopitar, Ovechkin and a few others who can absolutely have a case to be there above him. Those 2nd tier names won't ALL be above him maybe - but he also won't be above ALL of them. So top 5 seems like a stretch

I'm a Crosby fan so you'll often hear me talking about the importance of PPG above actual points in regards to Crosby's legacy (or even Lemieux). Because it counts. The only time PPG doesn't count much is Hart within a season. Missing games means you have no value to your team.

Honestly high PPG sets Marchand up for a higher finish in the Lindsay race then Hart. He's been outstanding - but he's not been as valuable as others.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Marchand- dirty rat
Crosby- dirty weasel

That pretty much covers it? Both play very well but are prone to lapses of brain function and do something over the line

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Not as informative as this though

Literally nobody is saying Marchand isn't a rat. It's that Cosby does a lot of the same stuff and there is no problem for people to think he is the best player in the game. You are the one who said he would do something, I was pointing out that Crosby does those things and people still consider him one of the best, why should it matter what Marchand has done if it doesn't matter what Crosby has done?

Reactions: Pia8988

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

If he played every game he'd be 22 points ahead of Pastrnak and 2 points behind Kucherov. He's second on the team in PPTOI and SHTOI. He leads the league in OTG and is in a 7 way tie for 4th in GWG and 3rd in the league in +-.
Hate him all you want,he bounces from being the best player anywhere all over the ice,to being a top 5-10 player at worst. Remove the dirty stuff and no one could possibly have any complaints. He's the MVP of the Boston Bruins,who are now sitting 3rd in the entire league with 3 games in hand over leading Tampa. Bobby Clarke,Chris Pronger and Mark Messier have all won the Hart,all had a dirty streak. Will he win? No. Why? Because of lost games and his reputation,and a laser focus on points. Is he in the conversation? Yes. He is truly worth the price of admission just to watch him absolutely control the game when he's on the ice. Right now,he's a better hockey player than Crosby,he's better than Kucherov,he's better than McDavid and anyone else you can roll out.

Reactions: Estlin and WJCJ

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Prove it.

It is a pretty safe bet that he would continue scoring at the rate he has scored over the past two seasons. There is no reason to expect otherwise. Obviously nobody can prove this but I think you would have to be a fool to bet against it.

Reactions: Estlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad